My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Can people post biscuits to me in the USA?

28 replies

AbsentmindedWoman · 12/09/2020 18:07

Have an ongoing craving for chocolate Hobnobs with my cup of tea, and refuse to pay the eye watering Amazon price when they are literally £1 in whatever supermarket on offer.

Have you posted biscuits or sweets to America and did they make it to the recipient?

OP posts:
mnahmnah · 12/09/2020 18:08

Are there not special British food shops in America? I know there are in Australia. Might be a little pricier than here, but not lots

AbsentmindedWoman · 12/09/2020 18:09

The title makes it look like I'm asking MNetters to send me biscuits - I don't actually mean that, I mean I will ask my family to do so Grin

OP posts:
AbsentmindedWoman · 12/09/2020 18:10

@mnahmnah there are plain Hobnobs available locally but no chocolate ones Sad

OP posts:
BigFatLiar · 12/09/2020 18:10

Would they get through American customs?

chipsandpeas · 12/09/2020 18:11

i dont see why they cant, as long as your not breaking any importing rules and banned foods

mnahmnah · 12/09/2020 18:11
PinkBuffalo · 12/09/2020 18:12

Lol op I totally thought you was asking us to all send you biscuits! Grin
Sorry I do not actually know the answer to your question though it just made me chuckle!

Jellycatspyjamas · 12/09/2020 18:12

I sent my sister biscuits and chocolate to the US regularly.

sherbetlemony · 12/09/2020 18:12

Yes it's fine, we send food stuffs to our family in Canada, you can state what it is on the customs form, never had a problem.

haba · 12/09/2020 18:13

Wouldn't they be crumbs by the time they arrived? I hear USPS are pretty good, but there must be a fair amount of bashing around.

ShyTown · 12/09/2020 18:17

I’ve ordered from the link @mnahmnah posted, most recently about 3 months and can confirm hob nobs arrived safe and sound.

Ginfordinner · 12/09/2020 18:19

[quote AbsentmindedWoman]@mnahmnah there are plain Hobnobs available locally but no chocolate ones Sad[/quote]
Melt some chocolate, dip hobnobs in and leave until set, eat and enjoy Grin

AbsentmindedWoman · 12/09/2020 18:20

Thanks all! I think I'll ask my folks to pop them in a padded envelope and give it a try then.

OP posts:
AbsentmindedWoman · 12/09/2020 18:22

Melt some chocolate, dip hobnobs in and leave until set, eat and enjoy

This is creative! Maybe I should try it with melting a Reese's peanut butter cup.

OP posts:
HerRoyalNotness · 12/09/2020 18:24

Our supermarkets here have the chocolate ones. Also do you have world market or Ned math and beyond? Sometimes they have them there too.

Otherwise yes they can post to you. MIL does us a box of goodies a couple of times a year, never had any issue with receiving it

HerRoyalNotness · 12/09/2020 18:25

Haha that’s a shocking auto correct
Bed bath and beyond!

TheFluffiestCat · 12/09/2020 18:27

I recently posted HobNobs and Jaffa Cakes to a friend in New York State. They arrived safely.

MenaiMna · 12/09/2020 18:29

If you're in a big city there's probably a British/European foods grocer. If you do need them by post a padded envelope won't cut it.
From experience coming in this direction 30 years ago you'd better ask for it in a well packed box - bubble wrap etc. As a Canadian I still expect family to bring me Hawkins cheezies and coffee crisp bars in their luggage as rent for the guest bed.

Quaagars · 12/09/2020 18:32

Another one who thought you were literally asking us to all post you biscuits - mental image of you getting deluged in a sea of Hob Nobs Grin

VetOnCall · 12/09/2020 18:35

My Mum has sent boxes of UK chocolate, biscuits etc. to me in Canada several times and they've always been fine on arrival.

Ginfordinner · 12/09/2020 19:04

@AbsentmindedWoman

Melt some chocolate, dip hobnobs in and leave until set, eat and enjoy

This is creative! Maybe I should try it with melting a Reese's peanut butter cup.

Nooo. Peanuts have no business being anywhere near chocolate.
Diverseduvet · 12/09/2020 19:08

How many packets are you after? If you only get 1 packet, won't you just want more, or will ration them to one a day?!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Fantabulous1 · 12/09/2020 19:08

I think you can send packaged food with a sell by date of over 6 months. Tried doing this with my SIL declared it on the parcel and 2 weeks later it was on my doorstep battered with a sticker stating PROHIBITED ITEMS RETURN TO SENDER so it may not reach you!

Cost me £25 to send biscuits to myself! Managed to get my money back on paypal though as I did declare what I was sending and the company didn't tell me it couldn't be processed, so I'd recommend PayPal for payment if they did try to send you anything.

Now we just take an extra suitcase of crap with us when we visit her, she's happy for 6 months of the year with frozen bakewell tarts, PG Tips and biscuits from the UK!

Fantabulous1 · 12/09/2020 19:11

@Jellycatspyjamas what do you declare them as on the custom form?

dododotheconga · 12/09/2020 19:18

I knew America had its issues with that numpty Trump in charge but a lack of chocolate hob nobs has cemented my view of the place as a hell hole.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.