My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Drinking alcohol - is this normal?

22 replies

m0therofdragons · 12/09/2020 08:18

I’m not a massive drinker and can go weeks without a drink with no effort but I like a glass of wine or a gin and tonic. Over the last couple of years I’ve learned I cannot drink Prosecco as I get violently sick the next day even after only one glass.

Last night I had one gin and tonic then 2 large glasses of white wine (is usually have more during social occasions but haven’t done for a month). This morning I’ve been sick. I ate dinner before going out and snacked there so it wasn’t on an empty stomach and it was over a 6 hour period.

I feel sad I can’t enjoy alcohol because it makes me so sick. Others seem to drink much more and be fine. Anyone else like this?

OP posts:
Howallergic · 12/09/2020 08:20

Thank your lucky stars. Alcohol is a curse.
For a relatively non-drinker, that was a lot for the body to handle all of a sudden, plus you mixed the drinks - hence the sickness I'd say.

toomanyspiderplants · 12/09/2020 08:25

alcohol is a curse, yet up we live in a society where it is positively encouraged. alcohol will ruin your body and destroy lives. i would say it's something to celebrate so don't feel sad!

JMAngel1 · 12/09/2020 08:27

That would be 2/3 bottle of white wine and a ?double gin? I would vomit too.
I had 250ml red wine last night and I feel sluggish this morning.
How old are you?
The older we get, the less we can drink.
We just need to listen to our bodies, it is a poison.
If I go out with younger friends, I sneakily just ask for tonic to keep the units and hangover down!

nextplateau · 12/09/2020 08:30

I can’t drink any grape based alcohol. I learned this after several almost dangerous experiences in my early 20s. Blackouts, sickness, behaviour I can’t remember.

I do not touch wine, Prosecco, champagne etc, ever.

Happily drink gin until the cows come home.

I have a friend who should not drink wine, turns her in to an absolute monster and she’s sick every time.

She won’t listen that it’s wine that does it.

Fluffycloudland77 · 12/09/2020 08:31

I stopped drinking a few years ago, just can’t do it anymore.

m0therofdragons · 12/09/2020 08:32

I’m 37, friends are in their 40s.

I used to easily have a bottle of wine and be fine but it was half a bottle and a single gin and I’m sick. Head is fine.

OP posts:
Legallybleachblonde · 12/09/2020 08:37

In a way it's a good thing as your body is working properly and saying woahh, that was a bit too much. As a pp poster said, two large glasses is 3/4 of a bottle so not a small amount. If I'm a bit tired or run down and have just one glass, I can really feel like crap the next day. I find now I'm older, I'm avoiding alcohol more because the recovery time and feeling crap far outweighs the enjoyment of a glass or two.

MitziK · 12/09/2020 08:39

You just don't have the tolerance because you aren't drinking regularly.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Just stick to one alcoholic drink (single measure) and have soft drinks the rest of the time. It's cheaper to be a lightweight. And more fun to not get langered.

curiouslypacific · 12/09/2020 08:40

Pretty much all spirits disagree with me and make me violently sick. I can drink a few glasses of wine or prosecco, or a couple of pints of beer or cider and be ok. Mixing them or drinking any more than that I'll feel awful at a minimum and be throwing up for 24 hours if I go too crazy. I also have a pretty high tolerance - if I actually feel drunk I'm guaranteed an awful hangover and a full day of throwing up. Similar age to you OP.

Legallybleachblonde · 12/09/2020 08:40

Oh and if I drink too much white wine over a short period, I get black outs too. Not good.

bumpertobumper · 12/09/2020 08:45

White wine gives me an awful hangover, even just one glass of the good stuff sometimes. I now avoid it completely. It is basically the same as Prosecco.

Defaultuser · 12/09/2020 08:46

I went through a phase like that where even a small amount of wine would make me sick as a dog the next day (I used to be able to drink loads). After being off it for pregnancy and breastfeeding although I don't drink much now I don't seem intolerant now if that makes sense.

wishywashywoowoo70 · 12/09/2020 08:48

I can't drink white wine at all anymore.
I switched to a sweet rose and can drink that with no horrible headache or sickness
Vodka also seems not to make me ill
Prosecco ruins me. One glass and it's game over and I have to go home.

Michaelbaubles · 12/09/2020 08:50

I had half a bottle of wine last night (I pour small glasses but couldn’t resist a third) and feel fine - but when I was just waking up I had that “borderline” feeling where you feel like there might be a hangover there...anyway I mean I’d definitely be feeling ropy if I’d had a G&T on top. A far cry from back in the day!

Chesneyhawkes1 · 12/09/2020 08:51

I rarely drink either. Yesterday I had half a bottle of champagne. Today I feel awful.

I think I'll just give up totally. Don't see the point anymore

Heyahun · 12/09/2020 08:59

I can’t drink wine or Prosecco at all - even the smell starts to give me a headache! So I wouldn’t touch the stuff! I can drink vodka soda no problem or a few gin and tonics - I wouldn’t mix the drinks though - I’d say that’s your problem. Stick to one drink and plenty of water.

ShinyGreenElephant · 12/09/2020 08:59

Its the mix, and you don't have a high tolerance. I loved a drink before I had my oldest, used to be able to drink 2 bottles of wine or half a litre of vodka and be in uni bright and breezy at 8am - 3 kids later and I feel buzzy off half a glass and if I ever had the chance to drink half a bottle I'd be sick as a dog for about 3 days. Honestly it's a good thing

Goatinthegarden · 12/09/2020 09:03

DH is the same. He feels rubbish the day after only two drinks. If he drinks 4 pints, he will seem fine at the time, but violently ill the next day.

I think some people have an intolerance to alcohol.

IceniSky · 12/09/2020 09:06

Had half a bottle of red last night and don't feel great. Alcohol steals energy.

tornadoalley · 12/09/2020 09:13

I've never been able to drink anything more than 1 gin and tonic, or 1 small glass of wine. Anything more than that which makes me feel a little bit tipsy, makes me sick. Half a bottle of red wine and I would have alcohol poisoning. So there is no point drinking.

sleepyhead · 12/09/2020 09:37

My stomach is very sensitive to alcohol and that amount would make me feel very sick the next day which rather takes away from the pleasure at the time.

If I want to occasionally really let my hair down, I take a Zantac tablet before drinking which stops my stomach getting irritated.

Mostly though, I just stick to one because I'd still feel tired and heavy headed.

Hairblog · 03/02/2021 14:13

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.