My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Help! Student nurse and symptomatic partner

54 replies

MandUs · 08/09/2020 22:27

Are there any nurses able to help as I can't find clear guidance on this.
I'm a student nurse on a hospital placement and my partner has a high fever with a cough (and some other symptoms). He's had a Covid test today but if the result doesn't come back before my next shift, am I expected to go in or stay at home and isolate as I've done so far?

Any guidance I can find only talks about health care providers being symptomatic but nothing about household members. Thanks.

OP posts:
rainbowunicorn · 08/09/2020 22:29

Surely this can't be a serious post. If you are really a student nurse then I despair. Use your bloody common sense. Have you not watched the news for the last 6 months?

MandUs · 08/09/2020 22:32

I have and if it was up to me I'd stay home but sadly there genuinely is no guidance given on this. Not from my uni either. And staff are expected to come in with cold symptoms so I genuinely don't know what is expected of me in this instance. Sorry if that offends anyone.

OP posts:
Frolicacid · 08/09/2020 22:36

Government advice is clear that you should be isolating until his results.
Your trust and or will have issued staff guidance. I’m not a nurse, but work for the nhs. Our trust has a staffing hub that you call for Covid specific issues.
Maybe start looking at their websites?

CormoranStrike · 08/09/2020 22:38

There is loads of guidance! If your or anyone you share a house/bubble with is awaiting a test result you isolate.

Serena1977 · 08/09/2020 22:41

Say what, student nurse you say, erm

I don't what should you do.

MandUs · 08/09/2020 22:42

I have looked at my trusts website and any guidance from uni. It's very detailed about staff showing symptoms or being traced as a close contact of someone who has tested positive but nothing about living with someone waiting for a result. I will just work on the assumption that general guidelines apply though that doesn't seen a given. I'd never have questioned this before coming on this placement and seeing how staff are coughing left, right and centre.

OP posts:
Feminist10101 · 08/09/2020 22:43

NHS guidance couldn’t be clearer. You absolutely should self isolate for 14 days.

Feminist10101 · 08/09/2020 22:45

The Covid cough can linger. Staff can return to work with a cough. Not all coughs count as potential Covid coughs.

Neolara · 08/09/2020 22:45

Everyone who lives with the person being tested has to self-isolate until the test result comes back. If negative, they can stop isolating. This information is explained on the NHS website when you book a test.

redeyetonowheregood · 08/09/2020 22:48

In my trust we are told to stay home with the slightest symptom of anything, even just a headache, get tested and come back when we have a negative result. Of course you stay home until your partner has a negative result. It is national guidance.

dementedpixie · 08/09/2020 22:48

Isolate until his results come back. If negative you can come out of isolation. If positive you continue to isolate for 14 days.

vodkaredbullgirl · 08/09/2020 22:48

Need to isolate till the results come back.

MandUs · 08/09/2020 22:50

Thanks. I will phone them tomorrow and say I can't come in until we have the result back but I'd genuinely not be surprised if I got attitude for this. There really is a difference between what should happen in theory and what happens in practice.

OP posts:
BugCatcher879 · 08/09/2020 22:51

Your advice is the same as everyone elses when it comes to this. Obviously isolate

tiredanddangerous · 08/09/2020 22:51

I find it quite worrying that you don't know what the guidelines are. The government guidelines apply to everyone!

MandUs · 08/09/2020 22:53

Thanks redeyetonowheregood. Your post makes me hope they'll be understanding. I'm just worried about being new there and getting a negative reaction. In no way would I want to do anything that puts patients at risk.

OP posts:
cautiouscovidity · 08/09/2020 22:53

@MandUs

Thanks. I will phone them tomorrow and say I can't come in until we have the result back but I'd genuinely not be surprised if I got attitude for this. There really is a difference between what should happen in theory and what happens in practice.

Depending on where you're working, can you phone tonight in case they need to arrange cover for your shift tomorrow?
Stompythedinosaur · 08/09/2020 22:54

You need to isolate and seek a test.

I am flabbergasted that your uni and your mentor haven't discussed this with you. You need to inform your placement and I imagine there will be a reporting line for the Trust that you'll need to call. They will help you access a test and give guidance.

As a nurse you may find yourself in situations where there isn't clear guidance and will have to think things through yourself - obviously you cannot go in for a shift when you've been exposed to someone symptomatic. So start from the perspective that you can't do that as it is dangerous and then work out how to report it and manage the requirements of the placement around the restriction.

Thisismytimetoshine · 08/09/2020 22:55

Christ almighty, I despair 😩. A student nurse being so dim is worrying indeed. What an asset you'll be to the NHS.

Tootletum · 08/09/2020 22:57

Actually she can't seek a test since she is not symptomatic. The. Gov.uk site is very clear about that.

Stompythedinosaur · 08/09/2020 22:57

Shrug off the attitude. People shouldn't treat you that way, but don't be tempted to lower your own standards of care or go against your own good judgement just because a colleague is being shitty.

If amy pressure is put on you to go in then discuss with the senior nurse or your uni for support.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Stompythedinosaur · 08/09/2020 22:59

Actually she can't seek a test since she is not symptomatic. The.Gov.uksite is very clear about that.

She'll get one through the Trust she is attached to. Or be given guidance it isnt necessary, which may be the case as students are supernumerary so shouldn't impact the ward if they are off.

beecause · 08/09/2020 23:00

Honestly, you would be far more unpopular if you were to be tracked through track and trace as having gone into a healthcare setting and initiated a tier 1 response.

Hope you're dp is ok and just reassure you - nobody really care if students are off sick, although it doesn't feel like it at the time but it's true!

MandUs · 08/09/2020 23:01

Cautiouscovidity, I'm not due in tomorrow morning and I'm supernumerary so don't need anyone to cover me. I'll phone first thing in the morning and with any luck we'll get a negative result back tomorrow.

I have indeed had zero guidance from either my mentor or from uni on this. We were only told what to do if we are ill ourselves. I spent the last couple of hours going through all our info. And like I said my immediate assumption was that I cannot go in but then questioned myself as expectations of staff can be different from what should happen and it's difficult being the new student on the ward and potentially having to challenge things (though I would if I had to ).

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.