My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Burglar basher?

18 replies

purrswhileheeats · 08/09/2020 19:38

My lovely neighbour, a man in his late 70s has unfortunately decided to sell up and leave. I'm sad, not because we were great friends but he was a perfect neighbour - very quiet and was abroad for six months of the year.

He's been slowly getting rid of his stuff for weeks now. I came home earlier and he called 'Purrs, do you want these?' He handed me two big heavy wooden rods, the size of baseball bats Confused I took them and asked what they were - apparently they're burglar-bashers Shock They actually have 'burglar basher' written on them in black marker Confused

I was quite grateful as I live alone in a now high crime area (thanks to covid and unemployment) and the police here support the homeowners' right to defend their property BUT I think I could be in trouble if I bashed a burglar's head in with this specially-labelled stick?

OP posts:
DifficultPifcultLemonDifficult · 08/09/2020 19:40

🤣 I don't know what to say other than he sounds amazing.

Cynara · 08/09/2020 19:43

Oooh, that sounds great! Take them and keep them for emergencies! I have a burglar-basher tucked down the back of my bed, just let n case. Mine's an iron poker rather than a wooden bat, but I LOVE the idea of labelling it and might do so in gold marker pen (it will show up nicely against the black metal).

Handsoffisback · 08/09/2020 19:44

I love the sound of this neighbour!

Notapheasantplucker · 08/09/2020 19:47

Haha that's brill😂

purrswhileheeats · 08/09/2020 19:49

He is amazing, a very unassuming man but with a core of steel.

Most households here have guns (military) in case of an invasion, occasionally get used in the wrong way. Not me though, I have my burglar basher 😏

OP posts:
LittleMissRedHat · 08/09/2020 19:57

I have a 6 cell Maglite under my bed within easy reach. For when the power goes out of course... Wink I think I need to engrave it though now.... Grin

sunshineandshowers21 · 08/09/2020 19:57

my dad always kept a burglar basher (wooden baseball bat) beside the bed. i remember him once chasing a burglar across a field with it in just a pair of boxers and my mum’s slippers 😂 i’ll have to ask him tomorrow if he still has the burglar basher!

purrswhileheeats · 08/09/2020 20:01

@cynara I agree it's sensible. I've had attempted break ins before and I wouldn't hesitate to swing a bat.

OP posts:
purrswhileheeats · 08/09/2020 20:07

@sunshineandshowers21 I chased a burglar out of my house one night years ago. I was stark naked, wasn't even wearing a pair of knickers ShockGrin

OP posts:
roastbeetrootsalad · 08/09/2020 20:10

A burglar bashed stick is funny, but in real life you could be in trouble for using it as it is basically a prepared weapon. You have the right to defend yourself but to have a prepared weapon at hand could go against you and you could end up being done with assault. A defence barrister would say it wasn't self defence because you had a weapon and intended to use it regardless.
What you need is a nice long heavy vase that was the first thing that came to hand from the bedside table in that moment you felt under threat!

ApplePenPineapplePen · 08/09/2020 21:43

That's why a large heavy torch works, a perfectly reasonable thing to have by your bed in case of power cuts

Biscuitsdisappear · 08/09/2020 21:45

Get some sandpaper and remove the writing.

homemadecommunistrussia · 08/09/2020 21:49

Fuck sake you people think this is cute and funny?HmmConfused

purrswhileheeats · 08/09/2020 22:17

@roastbeetrootsalad (love your name BTW) I get what you're saying, thank you. I'm not in the UK and we're not only having to deal with a massive crime wave (burglaries and robberies) but also an infiltration of IS (geographic location)

OP posts:
LastTrainEast · 08/09/2020 22:23

homemadecommunistrussia what is it that bothers you? The idea of self defence?

roastbeetrootsalad · 08/09/2020 22:36

Ahhh well in that case OP keep your burglar basket! GrinGrin

roastbeetrootsalad · 08/09/2020 22:37

Auto correct fail! Basher not Basket!!

WoodenFox · 08/09/2020 22:41

My then DP (now DH) bought me a baseball a few years back when he worked away and I was by myself with 3 kids. It used to be propped up on the side of the bed.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.