My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

I’ve got a Velcro baby - can anyone recommend a sling?

15 replies

WankPuffins · 07/09/2020 09:22

I really don’t mind, she is SO sweet but I need two hands to do things for the other two children! They were happy to lay in a bouncy chair and watch/sleep while I was cooking etc, but this baby needs to be held at all times!

Appreciate that I may have to wait a few weeks - she’s two weeks old and very small, only 5lb 13 at birth and just got back to that weight a few days ago.

I’m quite fat as well, size 16/18 with big boobs so when I’ve tried slings in the past I’ve never found them a comfortable fit for me so I am lost.

Can anyone recommend a Good one please? Preferably one that doesn’t cost the earth? (I will look to get one second hand on eBay first).

I’ve looked for sling libraries where I am and there aren’t any, sadly.

OP posts:
IWouldLikeToKnow · 07/09/2020 09:33

I used the Beco Gemini, which is a structured carrier rather than a sling, but it was a godsend. Can be used from birth (5lbs I think) to around 3. Was extremely comfortable and had my son in it more often than not.

Isadora2007 · 07/09/2020 09:36

A stretchy wrap can be put on first thing and kept on- with baby being plonked in or out whilst it stays on. It is an initial faff to learn to tie it- but there are loads of YouTube videos and it really isn’t hard once you get used to it. They’re free in the baby box in Scotland so if you’ve any Scottish mum friends or join any baby wearing online groups you may get a wee bargain. Or at the least they’re under £20 to buy.
I’m a size 16 with 36GG boobs and wearing a baby in a wrap has been fine.

Itsalwayssunnyupnorth · 07/09/2020 09:50

Iv got a close caboo lite which I picked up on a FB selling page for £20 new and unused! You can get them new in John Lewis etc for around £50 but when I looked on the local selling pages around me there were quite a few all around the £20-£30 price range. Would be suitable for your little dot and both me and DP are using it and little one loves it-my DD was 6lb 13oz when we stared using it and was comfy straight away. Easy to use and YouTube videos easy to follow to show you how to use and can also be used for feeding!

BringMeThatHorizon · 07/09/2020 09:55

I had a Velcro baby! My DS basically lived in a close caboo sling. Really comfy and easy to put on. I think we started using it when he was about 4 weeks.

RedRumTheHorse · 07/09/2020 10:00

Problem is you really need to try carriers before you buy them. Going on someone's recommendation doesn't work as even though 2 women can be the same size they will have different body shapes. Some sling libraries do a postal service e.g. www.sheffieldslingsurgery.co.uk/sling-library/postal-hire/

If you cannot find one in the greater area where you live then I would suggest a wrap. If you had issues with stretchy wraps then you need to get a cloth one. You can buy them second hand. Some sling libraries actually have advice on how you measure yourself for one. There are also loads of YouTube videos on how to tie them.

vinoelle · 07/09/2020 10:03

Sorry o hijack the thread but does anyone have any advice as to how to make a stretchy wrap more comfortable? It KILLS my lower back and can’t have it in for more than 5 minutes. Also have the caboo and same issue. What am I doing wrong?

Stompythedinosaur · 07/09/2020 10:36

I loved my Moby stretchy wrap. I would wear it all day and pop the baby in and out. It made me feel like a kangaroo.

WankPuffins · 07/09/2020 10:40

So many people on a local forum have recommended the caboo as well - someone is selling me their very used one (been through three babies!) for a tenner so I can give it a go.

OP posts:
AbsenceOfBlinkinLight · 07/09/2020 10:44

@vinoelle This page should help, or see if there’s a local sling library drop in near you, as in-person help is really the best. www.sheffieldslingsurgery.co.uk/new-to-slings/types-of-slings/stretchy-wraps/

OP I had a baby that tiny and big boobs, and a stretchy wrap (well, two, she threw up a lot) worked very well. Just need to make sure you follow the TICKS guidelines: www.closeenoughtokiss.co.uk/babywearing-t-i-c-k-s/

WankPuffins · 07/09/2020 14:21

[quote AbsenceOfBlinkinLight]@vinoelle This page should help, or see if there’s a local sling library drop in near you, as in-person help is really the best. www.sheffieldslingsurgery.co.uk/new-to-slings/types-of-slings/stretchy-wraps/

OP I had a baby that tiny and big boobs, and a stretchy wrap (well, two, she threw up a lot) worked very well. Just need to make sure you follow the TICKS guidelines: www.closeenoughtokiss.co.uk/babywearing-t-i-c-k-s/[/quote]
@AbsenceOfBlinkinLight thank you for this

OP posts:
WankPuffins · 07/09/2020 14:22

@RedRumTheHorse thank you I’ll look into them

OP posts:
TheVeryHungryTortoise · 07/09/2020 14:28

I loved my Boba wrap. Initially, learning to wrap them is a task but once you've done it a couple of times it's straight forward. They hug baby so close to you so they feel secure. I also really loved the designs that they come in, it made me feel slightly less like "new packhorse Mum with ugly-but-practical baby accessories." Smile

mylittlesandwich · 07/09/2020 14:29

I loved my stretchy baby box wrap. I can post you it if you like? I'm not having any more and DS is too heavy for it now. He was a chunk to start with.

WankPuffins · 07/09/2020 15:15

@mylittlesandwich

I loved my stretchy baby box wrap. I can post you it if you like? I'm not having any more and DS is too heavy for it now. He was a chunk to start with.

@mylittlesandwich oh gosh that is so incredibly kind of you!! It’s okay thank you so much for the offer though - will try that caboo. Hopefully you can pass it on to someone else. So nice of you to offer Smile
OP posts:
SallyTheSloth · 07/09/2020 16:48

Another vote for the caboo from me, have my own little Velcro baby in one currently (& I’m also not a small person, and I find it comfy, but I do like to wear a cardigan on over the top to hide my extra large love handles that the sling emphasises!- easy now it’s autumny weather though!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.