My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

How many mumsnetters does it take to change a lightbulb?

21 replies

KihoBebiluPute · 07/09/2020 08:35

recessed spotlight as per photo.

I have done the ones in the kitchen lots of times but they pop out easily when you give them a twist.

these ones in the bathroom are a different design. they don't twist, there doesn't seem to be any "give" to push the bulb up and access any kind of release clip.

I have done a search for "how to" videos on YouTube and they all seem to show the twist type that we have in the kitchen or they have a little metal ring holding the bulb in place and the videos just show you how to pop that ring out with a screwdriver but there is no such ring here.

if you have bulbs of this type please can you give me any tips on what I am supposed to do?

OP posts:
KihoBebiluPute · 07/09/2020 11:28

hopeful bump surely someone knows?

If you don't know the answer, please post your best Lightbulb joke to keep the thread active. I will start:

How many statisticians does it take to change a light bulb?
One -- plus or minus three due to the small sample size.

OP posts:
MidnightCitrus · 07/09/2020 11:29

how many therapists does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 - but the lightbulb has to want to change

Sennetti · 07/09/2020 11:31

You need a suction cup specially for lightbulbs

Lweji · 07/09/2020 11:35

When you say twist, do you mean the white plastic ring?

On the joke side, it takes one MN to change one and another to say she's unreasonable to change it, even though it's clearly not working.

AdaColeman · 07/09/2020 11:42

How many mumsnetters? SIX
1 to ask if they are being unreasonable?
1 to say LTB!
1 to advise using a slow cooker.
1 to tell you that the spelling & grammar isn't good enough.
1 posting for traffic!
1 asking is it Christmas yet?

thefelineofthespecies · 07/09/2020 11:44

Can you twist off that white donut ring bit? That might reveal some sort of clip underneath?

Lweji · 07/09/2020 11:44

I do think that what you need is to remove the white ring first. Either by twisting it or by pulling down, maybe with a knife or spatula.

ErrolTheDragon · 07/09/2020 11:45

How many mothers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Only one, me. And do you know why? Because no one in this house ever lifts a finger except me! Not one! And even if someone even noticed that the light bulb needed changing, I'm the only person who knows where the replacement light bulbs are kept, and why? Because they've only been in the same cupboard for the last FIFTEEN YEARS! And even if by some miracle someone did notice the light bulb needed changing and did find where the replacement bulbs are kept, they would either decide that getting a stepstool is just too much work, or they would leave the stepstool in the middle of the floor, not to mention all the trash they generated, because they think I'm their bleeping SERVANT! . . .  I'm sorry, what was the question again?

(Also applicable to loo rolls, obviously, apart from the stepstool part.)

MustDust · 07/09/2020 11:51

It may just be in with clips, so the whole fitting just pulls down, but beware of the springy clips snapping out on you like a mouse trap!

karala · 07/09/2020 11:54

how many poets does it take to change a light bulb?

3 - 1 to curse the darkness, 1 to light a candle and 1 to screw in the bulb

steppemum · 07/09/2020 11:55

How many evangelical Christians does it take to change a lightbulb?

That light bulbe doesn't need changing, you just need to lay hands on it and pray for healing

MustDust · 07/09/2020 11:56

Oh and how many electricians does it take to change a bulb? None, as they're lamps, bulbs grow out of the ground apparently Hmm

BarkandCheese · 07/09/2020 12:00

Yep, they're lamps. I used to work in theatre lighting and anyone calling them bulbs would get a Hmm look.

lljkk · 07/09/2020 12:07

agree suction cup might work

tobypercy · 07/09/2020 12:17

how many mice does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

2 but they have to be really small mice Grin

UselessTrees · 07/09/2020 12:24

I reckon those sort of fittings are only put in by electricians to ensure future work for themselves when the householder realises they haven't got a clue how to change them.

How many narcissists does it take to change a lightbulb? One - they just hold it in the socket and let the world revolve around them.

SuburbanCrofter · 07/09/2020 13:40

tobypercy you just made me spit my sandwich out in a really quiet cafe Grin

MustDust · 07/09/2020 21:19

Did you get it sorted @KihoBebiluPute?

BlackeyedSusan · 07/09/2020 21:37

Delayed reaction to the mouse one!.

How many software engineers to change a light bulb?
?
?
?
None, it's a hardware problem.

PhilCornwall1 · 08/09/2020 05:18

How many mumsnetters does it take to figure out how to use one of these?

KihoBebiluPute · 08/09/2020 09:36

I think the mice one wins the thread. Thank you @tobypercy

I am beginning to suspect that what we have is wired-in lamp units that do not have bulbs that can be changed (the suction cup thingummy is no good because the hole in the white surround is smaller than the glass for the actual "bulb" section). I have looked on the screwfix website and found several units that have Q&A things in their comments along the lines of "can you change the bulbs in these ones" "no it's an integrated unit" - I had no idea this was a thing. I clearly wasn't paying attention when the bathroom was installed.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.