My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

How long did it take you to get used to Contact lenses?

22 replies

EinsteinaGogo · 06/09/2020 17:20

Hi all,

I am shortsighted and have worn glasses for about 4 years - for reading, using phone to MM, and computer work.

Before lockdown, I had an updated eye test and a contact lense prescription.

I didn't bother with lenses during lockdown but now would like to get used to them for when I go back into the office.

I've worked them for a few hours a day over the last few days.

At the moment, the lenses are comfortable but my eyesight when wearing them is not as good as with my glasses.

For example, MNing on my phone - I need to hold the phone further away, and the text goes a bit blurry until I blink to refocus. I also feel a bit 'travel sick' / dizzy with them in.

The optician said it could take a few weeks for my eyes to adjust.

Does this sound normal to those of you who wear them?

OP posts:
workhomesleeprepeat · 06/09/2020 17:27

Yep! Totally normal. When I first got mine it just felt like I had two bits of plastic in my eyes and I had no idea how ppl wore them ever day. And like you I thought my vision was a bit weird with them.

It’ll never be like having perfect 20/20 vision naturally, but you will get used to them I promise! Love not having to wear my glasses all the time

IShitGlitter · 06/09/2020 17:31

Took me a few weeks to get used to them and get “good” lenses not the cheap daily disposable I have found them to be horribly uncomfortable the best contacts I’ve found are the extended wear type once I got used to wearing contacts I keep them in for 30 days and 30 nights if feel dry (they almost never do) just apply some eye drops

milkjetmum · 06/09/2020 17:36

As pp said there are differences between materials. My optician tried to switch me recently to a new lens type and I just couldn't get on with it, always felt conscious there was something in my eye, with my old type, rarely aware I had them in. So if it doesn't settle in the first few weeks then try another variety.

milkjetmum · 06/09/2020 17:37

Should also say sometimes you need a slightly different prescription for lens vs glasses. optician usually offers a free pair for initial trial and if it isn't right go back and ask them to change

Bollocksitshappenedagain · 06/09/2020 17:40

I cannot wear contacts for work. I also stopped wearing them daily as I had switched to varifocal glasses and found I could not see close up with lenses.

I have some varifocals lenses to try and she said it may take a few days for them to settle.

damnthatanxiety · 06/09/2020 17:41

I wear multifocal so they did take a couple of weeks as your brain has to learn to deal with the two different magnifications in the contact.Everything looked a bit like a 3d movie without the glasses at first. Comfort wise it was literally one day. I have dry eyes though so after about 7 hours, I need to take them out. So they last me until mid afternoon only.

RainbowParadise · 06/09/2020 17:46

I've been wearing contact lenses for 20 years (am 32) and I don't know any different, I'm completely used to them. I can't remember but think it probably took a month or so to get used to them. I started with monthly lenses but for many years I've had daily disposables which I think are so good in terms of hygiene and also if you lose one it's no disaster. The types of lenses have improved massively in the time I've been wearing them and I currently use Dailies Total 1 and they're incredibly comfortable. I don't notice I'm wearing them at all, they're designed for 16 hour wear and I get on really well with them.

merryhouse · 06/09/2020 17:51

About five minutes?

It was 1989 and they were gas permeable.

Haven't worn them the last few years because I am now old (sob) and need varifocals and H's experience of varifocal contacts was sub-optimal.

User45 · 06/09/2020 17:53

@IShitGlitter what lenses are licensed for 30days/night continual please? I have accuvue oasis but they're only licensed for 7days/night continual!

EinsteinaGogo · 06/09/2020 17:56

Thanks all -
Great to read everyone's different experiences.

@damnthatanxiety - that's a good description - the text appears rather in 3D.

I gave Acuvue Daily verifocus.

I like the sound of those that stay in for a month all round, though.

OP posts:
IShitGlitter · 06/09/2020 18:58

Air Optix Night and Day Aqua @User45 I used the same as you until I found these they are so comfortable and you get three lenses per box.

CorvusPurpureus · 06/09/2020 19:03

I find them perfectly comfortable, but at nearly 50 I've lost my 'short sight' so much that I need reading glasses too.

Suspect covid hasn't helped (I've just been wearing glasses for my short sighted ness, whereas for work - I'm a teacher - i would be wearing my lenses.)

If I had my time again, I'd be looking at laser surgery.

damnthatanxiety · 06/09/2020 19:09

Acuvue Dailies are awful for me! I can't deal with them at all. The vision is fine but they are so thin and bendy that they keep folding up in my eye or popping out when I rub my eye even a teeny bit and I had one split. I only ever found a bit of it.No idea where the rest if it went or if it is still up there in my socket! I use Total Dailies Multifocal. They are kind of pricy which is why I have tried others but I keep coming back to them. My only issue with them is that they are hard to get out. They seem to suction on to my eyeball!!!

EasilyDeleted · 06/09/2020 19:14

I can't remember how long it took me to get used to them (it was 35 years ago and they were rigid gas permeables not soft). I get round the multifocal thing by having one eye slightly undercorrected. I get far better vision than with glasses but I have a strong prescription.

I used to have the Air Optic Night and Day ones but switched to Biofinity which are also licenced for 30 day wear a few years ago.

However my optician no longer recommends keeping them in overnight because they never get cleaned and you end up wearing them in the shower which is dangerous. I take mine out and clean them every night. It is handy to have them if you like a daytime nap or fall asleep on journeys though.

I seem to need my prescription tweaking every few years and it definitely takes a few days to adjust.

damnthatanxiety · 06/09/2020 19:26

EasilyDeleted I did wonder about showering in extended wear as you aren't supposed to get water in your eyes with contacts. I have quite dry eyes and so I can only tolerate my dailies for around 7 hours even with drops. I wonder if extended wear is more comfortable. I figure if they can be worn 24hours, maybe they would be good for 12 hours on me

EasilyDeleted · 06/09/2020 19:37

Worth checking with your optician @damnthatanxiety they let more oxygen in so probably are better.

User45 · 06/09/2020 19:41

I've showered and swan with my lenses in for 20 years ....

IShitGlitter · 06/09/2020 20:04

Yep I swim and shower in mine too.

EinsteinaGogo · 06/09/2020 20:06

Thanks all. Looks like lots to consider.

My eyes have definitely got worse over lockdown thanks to 14+ hours a day screen time.

I poked myself in the eye today getting one out - novice !!!

OP posts:
bethebestofyou · 06/09/2020 20:07

I never did. I have tried 3 times in the last 3 years and these are very uncomfortable.

Beamur · 06/09/2020 20:09

I've been wearing hard (gas permeable) lenses for more than 30 years so my initial experience is so long ago I think it's no longer relevant.
I find soft lenses really uncomfortable as they dry out and feel gritty after about half a day. Hard lenses can be worn longer and although I don't think gp lenses are a popular choice, my opticians have commented before that they are good for long term eye health and wearing for long periods of time.

QueenofLouisiana · 06/09/2020 20:45

Your eyesight isn’t as good as the focal point is just in front of your eye, not actually on it. Glasses sit in the right place to make this correction more accurately. At least that’s what I was told.
I wear daily disposable lens as I am allergic to some preservatives in Ken’s solution. Took me about 2 wearing a to get used to them, but it took much longer 30 years ago when I had lenses that lasted 18 months or so.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.