My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Please help me decide where to live in London

42 replies

OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 20:19

Currently renting in Chelsea and it's lovely but the commute is a right pita. Not helped by all the bridges currently being shut off of course 😯. Currently working near Westminster ish and would like to be closer. Any suggestions? Must be a decent area, safe and handy for work. Am from oop norf, so am pretty clueless about London!

OP posts:
zeddybrek · 05/09/2020 20:52

So Jubilee line would be an easy commute. How about Canada Water? There isn't as much going on but it would be cheaper and easy access to O2, Westfield and the surrounding parks etc.

Depends really on what type of area you want in addition to safe etc. Lively or a bit quieter....

doadeer · 05/09/2020 20:54

What's your budget? What's important except distance to work?

JoJoSM2 · 05/09/2020 21:00

Can you walk to work from either Victoria or Waterloo? If you want naice and central, try near Clapham Junction. The trains run every 2 minutes or so.

Lazyi · 05/09/2020 21:02

Bermondsey? You could cycle, get tube or walk to work? Nice area, v central. Not as posh as where you are atm though.

OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 21:04

Would prefer taxi to tube but can also cycle if need be. Am only really there for work, so am not really fussed about area, other than it must be nice and feel safe. Budget will be around £2k a month and only really need a 1 bed flat.

OP posts:
yikesanotherbooboo · 05/09/2020 21:05

Victoria or Pimlico if you want to stay really central and can afford it. You could easily walk in then or hop on Victoria , circle or jubilee if the weather was bad. Otherwise go south to borough, Lambeth , Waterloo etc. The further you go the cheaper it is. Excellent tube and bus links.

JoJoSM2 · 05/09/2020 21:09

If you don’t care about the area, why not rent near work? Ie within walking distance? I’d feel save there as long as my phone and wallet were safe from pickpockets.

OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 21:13

@JoJoSM2

If you don’t care about the area, why not rent near work? Ie within walking distance? I’d feel save there as long as my phone and wallet were safe from pickpockets.

Well that's what I'm looking to but I can't just magic up a property across the road from work that's available and suitable, so I'm just looking for local knowledge on areas so I can narrow it down a bit.
OP posts:
leafeater · 05/09/2020 21:23

Something like this....

Marsham Street, SW1P, Westminster, London, SW1P
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-93971378.html

leafeater · 05/09/2020 21:25

There are tonnes of flats to rent in Westminster or Pimlico for that price, where you would have access to all transport, evenings out and walk to work

itsme7 · 05/09/2020 21:27

How about Pimlico or Battersea as someone else suggested. Easy to cycle to Westminster from both.

itsme7 · 05/09/2020 21:29

Also, negotiate hard on what you pay. Definitely a renters market at the moment.

OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 21:32

@itsme7

Also, negotiate hard on what you pay. Definitely a renters market at the moment.

We are 😁 Just emailed a few this evening and been very cheeky!
OP posts:
WhoWouldHaveThoughtThat · 05/09/2020 21:33

I don't know if this helps, but I had a go. I pinned a monopoly board to the door and threw three darts at it.
The results are; (I have only listed those where I hit the board)
Dart 1: Old Kent Road
Dart 2: Trafalgar Square
Dart 3: Go to Jail
so I had another go
Dart 4: Fenchirch Street Station

I had to stop at this point as my 'missed darts' were beginning to make my door look like it had woodworm.

Anyway, hope it helps 🤞

OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 21:33

@itsme7

How about Pimlico or Battersea as someone else suggested. Easy to cycle to Westminster from both.

Go past battersea at the mo from chelsea and its not that much closer is it? Its the right side of the river though i guess.
OP posts:
OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 21:35

[quote leafeater]Something like this....

Marsham Street, SW1P, Westminster, London, SW1P
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-93971378.html[/quote]
Love this. Have emailed them. Thank you.

OP posts:
JoJoSM2 · 05/09/2020 21:35

I don’t think you’ll go too wrong very near to work as long as you aren’t in the middle of a dodgy estate.
Or just check the area S of Clapham Junction station (near Northcote Rd). It’s all very gentrified and residential. You don’t have that mixture of social housing for every 3 naice roads that you do get in many other parts of London. It’s all naice.
The cycle would be a very pleasant one largely along the river.

sleighride5 · 05/09/2020 21:38

Aldgate East, bit up and coming but still slightly rough so interesting. Great transport connections, river called s a short walk, weekend markets, lots of restaurants and pubs.

JoJoSM2 · 05/09/2020 21:39

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/95204018#/

Here’s a flat in that area.

TwigTheWonderKid · 05/09/2020 21:45

" Go past battersea at the mo from chelsea and its not that much closer is it? Its the right side of the river though i guess."

No, Chelsea and Westminster are on the north side of the river. Battersea is on the sout side so not sure how you are going from Chelsea to Westminster via Battersea? Or are you working opposite Westminster on south side of river?

parietal · 05/09/2020 21:47

pimlico is very nice - close to Westminster, well connected, safe & friendly.

Thisisnotnormal69 · 05/09/2020 21:55

Battersea would be 10 minute train ride to Victoria and then easily walkable to Westminster area

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 21:55

@TwigTheWonderKid

" Go past battersea at the mo from chelsea and its not that much closer is it? Its the right side of the river though i guess."

No, Chelsea and Westminster are on the north side of the river. Battersea is on the sout side so not sure how you are going from Chelsea to Westminster via Battersea? Or are you working opposite Westminster on south side of river?

Taxi from Chelsea harbour, all along the river. Look across the river as I go at battersea power station.
OP posts:
OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 21:57

@sleighride5

Aldgate East, bit up and coming but still slightly rough so interesting. Great transport connections, river called s a short walk, weekend markets, lots of restaurants and pubs.

Defo don't want rough.

Not keen on tube. Prefer taxi or bike.
OP posts:
OyOySavaloy · 05/09/2020 21:58

@JoJoSM2

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/95204018#/

Here’s a flat in that area.

Won't stay anywhere ground floor!
OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.