My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

No eggs in lunch boxes?

18 replies

fifteenisthemagicnumber · 04/09/2020 23:27

We've just been advised that packed lunches can't contain nuts or eggs. The no-nut rule was well established, but I think the no egg rule is new. I'll need to check with the school, obviously, but would no eggs usually mean no boiled eggs, egg mayo etc, or would it also mean no cake, quiche etc? I'm pretty sure school dinners used to include things like cheese flan that had eggs in, so this new rule has confused me a little!

(I don't want people to think I don't take allergies seriously, I just want to be informed and educated Smile)

OP posts:
Crinkledbeetroot · 04/09/2020 23:36

I would check with the school but think they would find it very hard to enforce a ban on products that simply contain egg. I sent DS to school today with a hardboiled age and a peanut butter sandwich!

CallmeAngelina · 04/09/2020 23:40

Our school's Friday packed lunch option is egg mayo roll.
It's a wide-ranging franchise of menu providers, so I wonder what happens if other schools adopt such a policy.

JoanJosephJim · 05/09/2020 08:04

Crinkled I hope your school allows nuts. We have some children in school who only have to be near nuts to have a reaction.

Obviously in secondary schools there are no nut free schools because by 11 a child is able to recognise symptoms of anaphylaxis.

DGRossetti · 05/09/2020 08:54

Is it for allergies, or because eggs can - quite frankly - honk ?

voxnihili · 05/09/2020 09:06

It could be because of the smell, especially if they’re eating in classrooms at the moment. In which case things like cake would be fine. Best to check with them.

maggienolia · 05/09/2020 10:13

Probably the smell.
Transports me back to 1970s school trips with egg sandwiches left on warm coaches for several hours. The resultant long could wake the dead.
One way of encouraging social distancing though 😁🥚🥚

fifteenisthemagicnumber · 05/09/2020 11:23

It could well be the smell, yes! I'll check with them on Monday to confirm.

OP posts:
trevorandsimon · 05/09/2020 11:29

@Crinkledbeetroot

I would check with the school but think they would find it very hard to enforce a ban on products that simply contain egg. I sent DS to school today with a hardboiled age and a peanut butter sandwich!

That is ridiculously stupid and irresponsible. You could kill a child if someone in the school has a severe nut allergy . It's standard in schools for a no nut policy
fifteenisthemagicnumber · 05/09/2020 16:46

@trevorandsimon not all schools, sadly. A friend of mine is currently fighting with her DCs school as her DC has a serious nut allergy and the HT is refusing for the school to go nut-free Sad

OP posts:
ProfessorSlocombe · 05/09/2020 16:56

[quote fifteenisthemagicnumber]@trevorandsimon not all schools, sadly. A friend of mine is currently fighting with her DCs school as her DC has a serious nut allergy and the HT is refusing for the school to go nut-free Sad[/quote]
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that's a garbling of a statement the HT has made where they refuse to guarantee the absence of nuts in the school. Which isn't quite the same thing.

Whilst I am sympathetic to the plight of those with serious allergies, the sheer size of a school and nature of it's population means it would be irresponsible to suggest it could always be "nut free".

SistemaAddict · 05/09/2020 17:11

We have a nut free school. I often wonder what happens when those with severe allergies go to secondary school as our local one is not nut free. They can have whatever they like in lunch boxes except fizzy drinks. Egg free would be very difficult to manage as so many things contain eggs.

redbigbananafeet · 05/09/2020 17:17

@JoanJosephJim

Crinkled I hope your school allows nuts. We have some children in school who only have to be near nuts to have a reaction.

Obviously in secondary schools there are no nut free schools because by 11 a child is able to recognise symptoms of anaphylaxis.

Peanuts aren't nuts.
Crinkledbeetroot · 05/09/2020 17:32

@trevorandsimon It's not "ridiculously stupid and irresponsible". His school is not a nut free school.

MinnieMousse · 05/09/2020 17:36

It could be that they have a particular pupil who has a severe egg allergy. Check with the school though because while a no egg policy is doable, banning anything that contains eggs is less viable.

Xenia · 05/09/2020 17:39

It's a pity as a hard boiled egg is one of the best foods to give a child for lunch, much better than cake.

frogswimming · 05/09/2020 18:25

Our school is no egg and it includes eg marshmallows, egg itself, all things with egg in. We have to check for ingredient names like ovid and less obvious ones school send list.

Ronia · 05/09/2020 18:29

There's always one.

No. They're not. Peanut is the more common allergy but many children with peanut allergy also have but allergies. As you probably know.

Ronia · 05/09/2020 18:30

That was in response to redbigbananafeet

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.