My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Sports bras for short women

12 replies

PoxyPixie · 02/09/2020 15:06

I’m having a lot of difficulty finding a good sports bra at the minute. I can’t fit into the compression types that come in S/M/L because I would need a small for my back size but a bigger cup size. I do think they might be more supportive though so if anybody knows of compression styles that come in bra sizes then please do let me know!

The problem I’m having with sports bras in proper bra sizes is that they fit perfectly around the back and the cups but the straps still have too much slack in them pulled as tight as they can go. I assume this is because I’m quite short. Because the straps aren’t as tight as I need them I’m finding my boobs still move too much when I’m running which is starting to get painful. I’ve tried sports bras from Panache, Freya and Shock Absorbers and the straps don’t tighten enough on any of them. Does anybody have any suggestions?

OP posts:
stormtrooperjulian · 02/09/2020 15:12

I'm short (5'1) and the Shock Absorber Ultimate Run bra is the only one I've found that works for me. I have a small back and larger boobs so the S/M/L sizing doesn't work for me either.

tectonicplates · 02/09/2020 15:24

I'm 5ft 1 and the standard Panache sports bras are fine on me, and I have a short torso and everything.

Sorry I know it's bit like a stuck record around here, but if this happens all the time then the chances are you're wearing the wrong size. If the size is wrong then the straps don't sit like they're supposed to. I've tried on all manner of bras and I've only ever had a problem with the occasional Shock Absorber one.

CloudSingsAloud · 02/09/2020 15:29

If the straps are too long, can't you stitch a fold in them? Triumph and Anita also do sports bras.

PoxyPixie · 02/09/2020 15:34

Thanks stormtrooper I’ll look at that one.

tectonic sizing is an odd one on me. Technically I should be in a 30 back (I measure 29) but I have dodgy skin and wearing a 30 cuts into me and tears the skin open if I wear it longer than a couple of hours so I always wear a 32. I was measured at Bravissimo and they were happy that I was wearing the correct back size with a 30 until they saw me with it off and the purple welts in my skin after only having it on for an hour or so. They fitted me in a 32F after that which is absolutely fine for me normally. Considering it’s a sister size for a 30G (which is what I would otherwise be wearing) do you think that’s still likely to cause problems with the straps?

OP posts:
PoxyPixie · 02/09/2020 15:37

Cloud I have considered that, I just don’t fully trust my stitching skills Grin

OP posts:
umberellaonesie · 02/09/2020 15:41

Does it make a difference if you get the ones that can have normal straps or clip together racer back style.
My panache ones have a little hook so I can wear racer back style

tectonicplates · 02/09/2020 16:06

@PoxyPixie

Thanks stormtrooper I’ll look at that one.

tectonic sizing is an odd one on me. Technically I should be in a 30 back (I measure 29) but I have dodgy skin and wearing a 30 cuts into me and tears the skin open if I wear it longer than a couple of hours so I always wear a 32. I was measured at Bravissimo and they were happy that I was wearing the correct back size with a 30 until they saw me with it off and the purple welts in my skin after only having it on for an hour or so. They fitted me in a 32F after that which is absolutely fine for me normally. Considering it’s a sister size for a 30G (which is what I would otherwise be wearing) do you think that’s still likely to cause problems with the straps?

Yes, I think it's still causing a problem. I had a Freya sports bra that took two chunks out of my back when it was new, but once I'd washed it a couple of times it was fine from then on, because it softened it up. Additionally, if you get a bra with a roughly-sewn seam (which happens more and more these days, due to a decline in manufacturing standards), this can be solved with a nail file. So I think you should go for a 30FF/G, but don't wear it for two hours when it's new. As long as it fits properly, wash it first and that will help to soften it up. I wear 30HH in daytime bras but I'm sort of bordering between 30-32, so I wear a 32H in sports bras. I've only ever found a couple of the Shock Absorber bras to be a problem with strap length - all the Panache and Freya etc bras have been fine on me. But all new bras are going to be stiff.
Lurkingforawhile · 02/09/2020 16:36

Have you tried front fastening ones? I have a Next one which is good (albeit with a smaller cup size than you). Might be that a different style helps. I find the bands below tend to sit too low on my ribs generally as I have a short torso but these are quite good.

toomanyspiderplants · 02/09/2020 16:54

www.belle-lingerie.co.uk/panache-non-wired-ultimate-sports-bra/

this is good. ,It has s clip to make it into a racer back.,works for me I'm 5"2

RoseLavenderBlue · 02/09/2020 17:40

I have that same problem, OP, and I am 5’6”. I have the Panache wired sports bra and have no option but to have it fastened on the racer clip, which I don’t really like. I think I must be short from the shoulder down as my wedding dress had to have the shoulder seam altered too, to take up the excess material. No advice on alternatives, but you are not alone!

AuntyMabelandPippin · 02/09/2020 17:44

I'm tiny and wear the Freya sports bras.

(That's the second time today I've recommended them, and no, I don't work for them. Grin)

PoxyPixie · 02/09/2020 18:54

umbrella actually my Panache bra does have that and I’d forgotten about it for some reason Confused I’ll give that a go before I buy any new bras.

tectonic I was wearing a 30 back for over a year so they were bras that had been washed a fair few times and they were always painful and causing me skin problems. I basically have a condition that causes faulty collagen so my skin just doesn’t seem to react well at all. I tried switching to non-wired thinking that would help as well but I just can’t wear a 30 without damaging my skin, unless maybe I can find a stretchier underband I suppose.

I haven’t Lurking but I’ll see what I can find in that style.

That’s the one that I was saying I forgot had the racer back clip toomanyspiderplants! I’ll try the clip on my next run.

It’s annoying isn’t it Rose? I’m fairly short but there are still definitely shorter women than me out there who must also need shorter straps.

Aunty I have one Freya one which is great for my lifting days but not my running. Is there a particular style you’ve found best out of them?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.