My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Gro clock- how and when?

10 replies

booklover164 · 02/09/2020 08:18

At what age did you introduce the gro clock? How did you do it and how long did it take to work? DS ( 2 ) has been up at 4.30 every day for a week now 😔

OP posts:
JohnLapsleyParlabane · 02/09/2020 08:24

It's painfully slow ime. You need to stay it from the time they usually wake up, get them invested in the praise, then change it by 5min increments every few days (waiting till they're consistent on the new time before changing it again). I think it took us at least 6wks to get her to understand the concept, but it worked well from 2.5 to 3.5/4 and now we don't need it because she will go back to bed if we say it isn't getting up time yet.
Good luck.

CarlottaValdez · 02/09/2020 08:28

It took a while - we used it from about 2.5. It was brilliant once he got it though. We actually still have it now and he’s nearly 6 - he likes to know how much of the night it left so he can decide whether to get up and play or try to go back to sleep.

booklover164 · 02/09/2020 08:30

Thanks both. Did anything else work re early rises before the clock worked? I'm assuming not if you persevered with it!

OP posts:
AriettyHomily · 02/09/2020 08:34

Never worked for us. Plus the cord is stupidly long and I was worried it was a strangulation risk due to the configuration of Dts rooms.

Tbh nothing worked for us, winter helped a bit with darker mornings but even now they are much older they are still up at stupid o'clock.

CarlottaValdez · 02/09/2020 08:36

The only thing that sort of worked (not very well) was that I did treat anything before 6 as a night waking. So I’d stay with him but with just shushing and cuddling/ whatever in the room, in the dark. Then dot of six I’d make a huge deal of it being morning, open the curtains, toys out and so on. So he had a pretty good idea of night/day being binary. I feel like that made the gro clock work better.

Once we had the clock I’d go in and say “it’s still nighttime, shhh” and point at the clock.

CarlottaValdez · 02/09/2020 08:40

We take it on holiday and everything

Soubriquet · 02/09/2020 08:43

Worked well with us

Dd was 3 when she first got it and she knew that until the sun came up(which was 7),she wasn’t allowed to come downstairs.

We did have to put it up out of her reach as she quickly worked out how to take the lock off and would then meddle with it until the sun came up earlier Hmm clever little shit

She wasn’t impressed when it was put on top of her wardrobe Grin

CarlottaValdez · 02/09/2020 08:43

Oh yes same, DS’ was on top of his wardrobe too!

LivingMyBestLife2020 · 02/09/2020 08:58

Not to long for us actually. I think my son was going through a sleep regression and I was done in with the 4.30 wake ups. It could just have been a big coincidence but I switched him to a single bed from a toddler bed and got the clock at the same time. Took less than a week to work and only a few days to understand the star means “nan nights” I can just shout to him now, what does the clock say? And he’ll say nan nights and go back to bed. He’s wakes between 7 and 8 theses day (7:50 today) and we’ve been using it about a month. He was 2 in mid July. He always reminds me “clock” before bed so I can make sure the sun has gone to bed.
We don’t use it naps.

Good luck!

HugeAckmansWife · 02/09/2020 09:13

never worked for us. DS understood it, just didn't care and was up before 6 every day until he was about 8.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.