My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Swimming lessons - how will it work?

13 replies

VenusClapTrap · 01/09/2020 09:45

We have had emails through about the dc’s swimming lessons resuming. There will be no access to showers or changing rooms and children must arrive and leave ‘beach ready’ in a onesie or similar.

We had this with ds’s week long intensive swimming course a few weeks ago, and it was fine because it was during the heatwave, so wasn’t a problem for him to travel home in a wet swimming costume, sitting on a towel in the car.

But how is this going to work in the autumn and winter, in cold wet weather? The sports centre has a huge busy car park and we always end up parked at the far side of far away, and in winter dd always complains about the cold trek to the car with wet hair even after a hot shower and in dry clothes - I dread to think what this will be like in a wet swimming costume and damp towel!

Am I missing something? Any bright ideas to make this less uncomfortable?

OP posts:
Gizlotsmum · 01/09/2020 09:49

Same here. We have brought a beach robe to wrap in immediately,, will have blankets in the car and a warm coat and wooly hat and hope for the best!

justanotherneighinparadise · 01/09/2020 09:52

Honestly I’ve shelved the swimming lessons for now as they new rules are so draconian and joyless. My four year old used to LOVE swimming, now apparently his swimming teacher can’t even look at him during a lesson and will most likely be out of the pool. We also have to sit in the car. Like fuck is that happening. We can ride out the nonsense and come back to them at a later date.

Waxonwaxoff0 · 01/09/2020 09:55

No idea. I don't drive so we walk to swimming! I don't really want to give up lessons as I think they're important but DS can't exactly walk home in a wet onesie.

VenusClapTrap · 01/09/2020 10:12

@Waxonwaxoff0

No idea. I don't drive so we walk to swimming! I don't really want to give up lessons as I think they're important but DS can't exactly walk home in a wet onesie.

I feel for you. At least we can get into a warm car. This system just isn’t going to work for people who use public transport or walk, which is really unfair.
OP posts:
VenusClapTrap · 01/09/2020 10:13

I’ve been googling and found towelling onesies designed for swimmers but they are outrageously expensive!

OP posts:
needsahouseboy · 01/09/2020 10:18

You need a dry robe. Might be able to pick one up second hand. They are expensive but so so worth it. I bought one that my son can grow into and then I’ll be able to use it once he’s outgrown it.

pollylocketpickedapocket · 01/09/2020 10:20

Where are you all based? My dd(4) has 1 to 1 swimming lessons at a local hotel health club and we change as normal (I'm in the pool with her, instructor is not.) we're in Manchester.

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 01/09/2020 10:23

My eldest DD has been allocated a 4pm lesson (I presume I wasn't quick enough to reply and that was what was left for her stage). She has to arrive in her costume. I don't have time to take her home first... Luckily we have dark windows in the back and a large car!)
Luckily she can change afterwards.

Theyweretheworstoftimes · 01/09/2020 10:28

You need one of these or similar

dryrobe.com

Not cheap but worth every penny

VenusClapTrap · 01/09/2020 10:32

Dry robes look great, but £100! Oof.

Are they easy to wash and dry? Do you wash them after every use or just hang them up to dry?

OP posts:
VenusClapTrap · 01/09/2020 10:34

I’ve found these online which are cheaper than dry suits, designed for swimmers, but are they really any different to any other cotton onesie?

sharksswimshop.com/collections/swimzi-xk-swimming-onesie/products/swimzi-born-02-swimzi-midnight-red

OP posts:
Theyweretheworstoftimes · 01/09/2020 10:40

The dry robe keeps you warm and the car dry.

It's waterproof outer shell means you can stand out in the pouring rain but be warm and cosy inside.

You can drive home from open water swimming or running in the winter and be warm and dry and your car is unscathed.

There are some threads on mumsnet about them and the general consensus is they are the best money people have spent. I think you can search somehow?

EasilyDeleted · 01/09/2020 10:41

My DD has been back at swimming club for a month and it's been fine, the children come out in all sorts of dryrobes, onesies etc and they are so happy to be back swimming that there haven't been any complaints and it has been cold and dark at finish time some nights (8.30pm). For those using public transport or walking it would be worth talking to the lesson provider about making an exception, these rules are not meant to exclude anyone.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.