Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Talk to me about vegetable choppers please *exciting thread*

HillyJilly · 09/08/2020 19:39

I make dishes invovling chopped tomatoes and onions etc quite often and, yes life's too short. Is there such a thing as a decent chopper for this?
Ive looked at a few on Amazon and all of them have various levels of bad reviews.
Tia :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pomegranatemolasses · 09/08/2020 19:41

I would invest in a decent knife, and go to You Tube to figure out how to chop properly. You can buy decent sharpeners which don't need a huge skill level to keep your knives sharp.

Please
or

Kez200 · 09/08/2020 19:44

I have one that cost about 15. Its got a grid of square cutters in it and a dish below to catch the contents, with a hole at back to drop them into the pan. Its great for diced onion, carrots, peppers et.. Never tried tomotoes. If i do any more than 5 or 6 onions i use the food processor though.

Please
or

KrabbyPatties · 09/08/2020 19:45

I uSe food processor for onions because I can Block up the funnel and avoid onion juice which really hurts me

Please
or

SallySolardel · 09/08/2020 19:46

We have a push chopper from amazon (brand begins with B but they all look pretty much the same). It's brilliant for soft things like tomatoes, but struggles with harder things like onions. And you really have to chop things in half or slice them before you can put them through it or you end up with long slices - not quite long enough to be chips though.

Please
or
Please
or

HillyJilly · 09/08/2020 20:09

Thank you all :) some good ideas for me to explore!

OP's posts:
Please
or

justanotherneighinparadise · 09/08/2020 20:13

Ooooh this is something I’m very knowledgeable about as I have lots and use them a the time. I loves them 🤣

My favourite is this one www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002TJEJ3O/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_i_QQemFb86HXDTC?tag=mumsnetforu03-21

Please
or

BathshebaKnickerStickers · 09/08/2020 20:48

I have a JML one - can’t remember the name - and I use it multiple times a day.

I’ll go and find a link

Please
or

BathshebaKnickerStickers · 09/08/2020 20:52

[https://www.jmldirect.com/kitchen/food-preparation/nicer-dicer-quick-hand-held-chopping-slicing-dicing This one - and it’s on sale]

It says not suitable for hard veg like carrots but I do carrots in mine all the time - you just need to initially cut the carrot or onion into relatively small chunks and then the thing will do it into really wee for you

Please
or

HillyJilly · 09/08/2020 22:45

Thank you. I'm getting excited about looking at all these. How sad am I Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

MadauntofA · 10/08/2020 07:10

Can I ask for those happy with theirs, how hard they are to clean. Do you put them in the dishwasher or does that blunt the metal parts?
I use frozen chopped onions - lost the patience in hand chopping a while back and they are great! Food processor if I am doing a lot.

Please
or

justanotherneighinparadise · 10/08/2020 07:16

Very easy. Take off the bits and chuck them in the dishwasher. The only issue I had is after a couple of years intend to break them as I stick everything in there including hard vegetables. So DP has had a to repair them a few times 🤭

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 10/08/2020 07:17

Mine is a Pampered Chef one, and I use it if I have a lot of chopping to do. They no longer operate in the UK, but if you see one on ebay I would snap it up. They are good quality and easy to clean.

Please
or

uncomfortablydumb53 · 10/08/2020 14:13

Hi
I'm disabled with one "good" hand
I have a Zyliss easy pull which is brilliant.. different blades, from fine to coarse then you literally just pull the handle Easy to clean and durable

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.