My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Pretty sure this spoon was silver - has the dishwasher destroyed it? How can I try and fix it?!

28 replies

Octonautsoctopod · 01/07/2019 13:48

I’m pretty lazy when it comes to cleaning my dishes. Dishwasher all the way.

A few years ago I bought some vintage silverware (wasn’t hugely expensive) and have been dishwasherjnf it.

It now looks like this - destroyed???! Or can I somehow clean it?

My dishwasher seems to kill all my dishes. Even bamboo / plastic cups Confused

Pretty sure this spoon was silver - has the dishwasher destroyed it? How can I try and fix it?!
OP posts:
DonkeyHohtay · 03/07/2019 07:39

If it's silver, it will have a hallmark unless it's very old. Look for 925 or a series of little symbols.

If it's plated, no hallmark. Electro plated nickel silver might have 'ENPS' on it.

ErrolTheDragon · 03/07/2019 07:46

into an acidic environment

Doesn't have to be acidic, salt water will do. Salt in the general sense, not necessarily NaCl - but a dishwasher of course is likely to have salt ... maybe that's another difference between the old and new house/dishwasher, perhaps the new one has a more effective electrolyte sloshing around.Grin

stillworkingitout · 03/07/2019 16:40

It’s certainly an electrochemical reaction happening in the dishwasher - either the silver has been ‘plated’ with some tarnish, or the silver plate has been stripped by the dishwasher environment. The appearance of your cups suggests that it could be the sliver plate being stripped, which is bad news. Silver tarnish is quite easy to fix. Have you had a go at cleaning it yet?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.