My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Please help with my NYC trip!

9 replies

Macca84 · 26/06/2019 20:57

I'm going to NYC in a few months with DD(9). I want to be organised and have as much as possible paid for for before we go. We've never been before, so will be doing the usual touristy things. My question is, is it best to buy an attraction pass, or book trips individually OR just pay when we're there? I got extra cash unexpectedly this month, so wondering if I should use it to buy trips, attraction passes or just put it onto my prepaid dollar card? Any tips appreciated Grin

OP posts:
Macca84 · 27/06/2019 06:57

Anyone any advice pretty please?? Grin

OP posts:
Zebraantelopegiraffe · 27/06/2019 07:48

How ever much money you are thinking of taking, double it. Its crazy expensive!

Macca84 · 27/06/2019 08:15

I've got £2k for 5 days but I want to have activities paid for before I go. Did you use a city pass?

OP posts:
canyon2000 · 27/06/2019 08:21

I was there a couple of weeks ago. A good free visit is the Vessel at Hudson's Yard and then a walk along the High Line. The Vessel needs to be booked in advance. It is very expensive in NYC and remember you need to add tips of about 20% to the food bills. We went to 2 good places to eat, Tavola (Italian) on 9th Avenue and Black Iron Burger (best burger I have ever eaten!).
We didn't go on any paid for excursions so I can't help with that.

BooksAreMyOnlyFriends · 27/06/2019 08:28

We bought individual tickets before we went as we didn't think we'd get use from a city pass.

The hop on/off bus tour was well worth the money .

Our budget was tight so we did the free statton island ferry trip.

We walked lots and took a couple of subway rides for the experience. to see the sights. Dd was only 7 at the time and coped well with walking. Lots of ducking in to diners for a break.

Our favourite day was spent in central park. Its beautiful and the people are interesting! Dd played in the amazing playground while we people watched.

I would advise against Empire State. Rockefeller was much more impressive and queues to go up were shorter. We did both and all agreed ES was such a waste of time and money.

Macca84 · 27/06/2019 08:54

Ooh thanks for the tips! I'm not too fussed about tight budgeting but I do like to get value for money! Grin I'd already been wondering about if it's worth doing Rockefeller and ES - you've made my mind up to just do Rockefeller now, thank you! You've probably saved me a good few hours of queueing Grin

OP posts:
Zebraantelopegiraffe · 27/06/2019 09:05

The world one is really good. We did that and ES and it was much better

Vanlady · 27/06/2019 09:14

Avoid doing the uptown route bus tour. We did this and although you do see a few landmarks it took us 1 1/2 hrs from times square to central Park. We decided to walk part of the way back after spending time in the park, we actually ended up back at were we got on the bus and it had only taken 14 mins. That was really annoying as we felt a bit duped.
I loved the ESB as it was much more atmospheric than the Top of the Rock,we did both, OH preferred TOTR as he felt safer, lol.
You can get the underground to near the ferry port then get on the free ferry to Staten Island which passes the Staue of Liberty.
Smiths on 8th avenue does good breakfast food but there are loads of places to eat.

JohnsShamewell · 27/06/2019 10:22

I would definitely get the official city pass, it will save you a lot if you want to do the attractions included. www.citypass.com/new-york?mrkgcl=628&mrkgadid=3329466728&mv_source=rkg&adpos=1t2&creative=295060867906&device=t&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Z-2waeJ4wIV1eJ3Ch3gHAYcEAAYAiAAEgKgwvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I would recommend the Beast boat ride, it was one of our favourite things when we went. www.thebeastnyc.com/
Restaurants we loved were Ellen’s Stardust Diner, Carmines, 5 Napkin Burger and Cafe Lalo. Blooms was our favourite breakfast diner.
ESB v TOTR I would say ESB Is better after dark view wise and TOTR daytime. Buy online for everything in advance to save Queuing.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.