My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Where to eat in central London ?

51 replies

Alakazam8 · 26/06/2019 12:44

Hi I’m going to London on 30th July. I want to find somewhere to eat one evening for a meal that’s not fast food.
Has to be central -Leicester Square or near Euston, not too expensive £40 ish and lots of fun for a 9 year old girl.
I’ve been told to avoid the rainforest cafe but coming from further north I don’t know what suitable alternatives there are.
Any suggestions

OP posts:
PoppadomPeach · 26/06/2019 14:46

Bad Egg do a really nice brunch that is fun - have a look online for the menu.

Dinerama in Shoreditch is also a really fun place to eat. It's like a food market with lots of different stalls for all kinds of food.

Boxpark in Shoreditch is the same as above.

Then you've got Rainforest Café, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, Planet Hollywood.
There's also Cereal Killers - who sell every type of cereal you can imagine by the bowl (including all the ones from the USA)

A quick google should help OP.

bruffin · 26/06/2019 14:54

My Old Dutch in Holborn is a favorite with the DC when they were little and now.

lalafafa · 26/06/2019 15:03

Shoreditch is a bugger with a wheelchair because of all the cobbled streets and narrow pavements. Have bitter memories of pushing DN around.

lalafafa · 26/06/2019 15:04

Granary square is easily accessible, lots going on too.
www.kingscross.co.uk/granary-square

lilpumpsmum · 26/06/2019 15:59

What's that restaurant where you order on iPads and it's delivered by robots??

Failing that I'd say Benihana. They always put on an amazing show!

dinkystinky · 26/06/2019 16:07

Inamo in covent garden is fun - fusion food, ipads, old school games on the table.

Alakazam8 · 26/06/2019 16:09

Wanted tried and tested rather than a google search, hence the question, sorry.
If anyone knows which one delivers by robots that would be great if not too expensive. Like the sound of Benihana too

OP posts:
SaturdaySundae · 26/06/2019 16:12

Bodean's near Tower Bridge is a lot of fun 😀

Whyrmengreattiltheygottabgreat · 26/06/2019 16:24

Can’t remember the name, but there’s a restaurant in CG that is festooned with fake flowers on the outside. Some of the tables are in little “theatre booths” and there are regular performances.

raeray · 26/06/2019 16:25

My 11 year old goddaughter loves shake shack or five guys- there's a few branches around the areas you mentioned.
Accessible for wheelchairs too in all the ones we've visited Smile

Whyrmengreattiltheygottabgreat · 26/06/2019 16:27

The theatre one is called Sarastro.

FreeButtonBee · 26/06/2019 16:48

Din Tai Fung is fund for kids Taiwanese dumplings and noodles - you can see them make the dumplings from scratch and fun is fast with picture menus and marking your choices on the paper counterpart - my 6yos (one of whom is quite fussy) loved it.

Alakazam8 · 26/06/2019 22:57

Loving researching all these- it’s really helped. Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply. Any recommendations specifically for ice cream ( she loves ice cream!)

OP posts:
BoronationStreet · 26/06/2019 23:12

Ridiculous question. Use Travelocity OP.

Loopytiles · 26/06/2019 23:16

Good responses though! Useful

Alakazam8 · 27/06/2019 07:00

Sorry to ask such a ridiculous question, trust Mumsnet and just wanted a bit of insight into where other Mumsnet tees would recommend. Won’t ask other questions about our trip then as there seems to be unwritten rules about what we should/shouldn’t ask.
Thanks again to those who replied with such helpful info.

OP posts:
Alakazam8 · 27/06/2019 07:00

Mumsnetters!

OP posts:
Boyskeepswinging · 27/06/2019 07:10

I don't get why it's ridiculous to ask a parenting forum to make child friendly restaurant suggestions? Clearly I'm missing something here ...

RonnieScotts · 27/06/2019 07:14

Great thread, I've got teens and when visiting London we seem to find ourselves in pizza expresses etc. (because they're reliable and we're tired and hungry) some great suggestions on here that we will be trying too!

Usernamealreadyexists · 27/06/2019 07:16

For dessert, go to Bubblewrap on Wardour St - it’s amazing! Google it.
@BoronationStreet - what a pointless and stupid response. Accordingly, lots of forums on here should vanish. You clearly found it interesting enough to read.

RonnieScotts · 27/06/2019 07:18

@BoronationStreet you're not on the AIBU board dear, it's uncalled for to be so rude

dinkystinky · 27/06/2019 11:26

Amorino or Milk Train for ice creams OP

sleepwhenidie · 27/06/2019 11:34

My kids love Ping Pong.

Zedel is fab.

Sticks n Sushi if you fancy Japanese.

IMO (and that of my 13yo DS ‘burger connoisseur’ Wink 5 Guys is much better than Shake Shack for burgers. (Similar level places but there are better burgers elsewhere).

Inamo food is terrible, so if you go be clear it’s just for the tech fun!

Alakazam8 · 27/06/2019 11:55

I had a look at bubble wrap and that’s a brilliant idea. Thanks @Usernamealreadyexists
She loves ice cream and waffles and is very excited. Will look at the other ice cream places recommended on here now and will go to Zedel too. Need to look at some more menus!!!

OP posts:
KeenoOnVino · 27/06/2019 12:25

Great thread with great suggestions! Going to make a list and keep for when we go into London. We usually end up at places like Wagamama but it grates on me as I don’t really like to eat at large chains if I can help it.....

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.