My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Outrageous Prices For Handmade Stuff!

67 replies

Bunnylady53 · 24/06/2019 18:17

I’m all for people setting up businesses & making stuff to sell but some of the pricing is crazy! Just seen some Ferrero Rocher “trees” for £24! You can get the amount of chocolates needed for around £6 I would say. Anyone else seen silly prices?

OP posts:
DogHasEatenTheSqueaker · 25/06/2019 08:26

I had to make 30 of these trees for an event (not my job, but thought ‘heh, how hard can it be’) - it took bloody AGES! Admittedly, I was ambitious and used small sucky sweets in the event colour rather than nice chunky Ferrero Rocher, but fuck me, they’re a ball ache. I’d want more than £24 to buy all the stuff and for the time and postage to bugger about with that again!

BertrandRussell · 25/06/2019 08:59

“They're £2 confused of huge gorgeous cake topped with buttercream plus sweets/branded chocs etc”

Make the most of the shop- it won’t be there for long!

YesQueen · 25/06/2019 09:20

@BertrandRussell this is one of hers. Brownies are £2 and cake jars about £5.50

TheInvestigator · 25/06/2019 09:29

Those look like shop bought plain cupcakes which have just been decorated in-store... And the icing looks very similar so that betty Crocker pre-made 'buttercream style' icing.

YesQueen · 25/06/2019 09:31

@TheInvestigator they're definitely not store bought. She makes wedding cakes mostly but opened a shop which gives her a bigger kitchen for it and does the other stuff on the side. The last one I tried was filled with biscoff < drool >

BertrandRussell · 25/06/2019 09:36

No- I mean it won’t be there long because she’ll be making a stonking loss.

YesQueen · 25/06/2019 09:38

@BertrandRussell yeah, I will be making the most of it as she makes the best cakes I've ever tasted

CuriousaboutSamphire · 25/06/2019 09:54

As TheInvestigator posted... my arty pieces are priced the same way. They are part of how I earn my living, pay my bills.

One picture may have just 4 hours of hands on machine time, but the planning, material collection, thinking and design can take many, many more. I have no intention of giving away my time for free, so my prices are high - very, very high/rip off high according to some people who feel free to leave nasty comments! Happily customers who actually do buy leave very nice comments!. I tend to leave the nasty ones up and let customers respond... Smile

Then again you do see some e of the most amazing tat for sale. I have no idea what some people are thinking when they list some of the sheer rubbish that seems to fill some corners of t'internet selling sites.

moofolk · 25/06/2019 09:57

Handmade things are really expensive because we don't value human labour we value commodities.

Just buy supermarket own brand everything and then bemoan the dearth of craftspeople and creativity.

Sandybval · 25/06/2019 10:03

Lots of stuff is lovely and worth the price, but yes there are some things which you just think how on earth is it worth that?! Popular around here seem to be plastic boxes (£1) full of multipack chocolate bars and cheap sweets which sell for about 10x what it would cost to buy them yourself, and I can't see much skill in putting them into a box.

Sandybval · 25/06/2019 10:04

The box you can get for a pound, sweets around a fiver but charge £20.

BishopBrennansArse · 25/06/2019 10:06

Depends on the item.

That kind of tat Is usually overpriced.

Something like a jumper or tapestry that is hand made and can take hundreds of hours to make are usually very hard to make any money from. People expect you to not charge anything for your time or 1p an hour.

I'm currently doing a project I estimate will take 3 years at an average of 10 hours a week - personal one, though.

Foslady · 25/06/2019 11:36

I do papercuts as a hobby, just for me or occasionally give one away.
I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’br been told how a cricut machine can do it quicker, with everything being totally perfect.
Funny thing is the cricut doesn’t work half as well as therapy though......

MaybeDoctor · 25/06/2019 11:37

That cupcake would be so much better without a pice of Mr Kipling cherry tart sitting on top.

But I’m sure it tastes good!

YesQueen · 25/06/2019 11:58

@MaybeDoctor these are what she had in last week Grin

viccat · 25/06/2019 12:45

A Ferrero tree doesn't really compare with actual handmade stuff though...

In general, people are used to cheap, unethically produced stuff. Everyone thinks a £55 item of organic cotton clothing handmade by someone working in good working conditions is expensive because we're used to being able to buy £5 sweatshop made clothes. Or a £3 cake from a small cafe made with lovely ingredients seems extortionate if you can buy a pack of 6 for £1 from Tesco (who of course have much more buying power and won't use the nicest butter or organic flour...).

A lot of small businesses fail because there's no profit in it sadly. A properly run business will have so many costs - insurance, materials/ingredients, equipment, packaging, admin, website, utility bills and that's all before wages. All the small business owners I know are working long hours and making very little money, and constantly facing criticism from people who could get it cheaper elsewhere...

Damntheman · 25/06/2019 12:54

I've several times now refused to set up an etsy to sell my knitting because actually charging a reasonable hourly rate for my work would place the item's cost at astronomical. The Journey scarf I made just took me about three months worth of evenings to finish, just no. Nobody could afford it. I'll stick to making custom pieces for the people I like and we can (mostly) all be happy ;) I'll gladly sell my patterns though.

@YesQueen you tell your bakery owner I'd gladly pay quite a bit more than 2 pounds for one of those delightful looking cup cakes!

YesQueen · 25/06/2019 13:02

@Damntheman she's my favourite person Grin mostly because I go "ooooh biscoff and white chocolate would be nice" and it appears for me the week after I've asked
She's working on a brownie cake jar with white chocolate buttercream for my colleague next

soulrider · 25/06/2019 13:12

Why does the pricing matter to you? If they're too expensive no one will buy them, it's not like anyone's forced to buy.

Lots of people genuinely don't understand the time that goes into things and how much that labour costs. I crochet things for gifts and people often ask if they can order something similar - but to cost in my time even at minimum wage would make a small stuffed animal cost 60 pounds.

SarahAndQuack · 25/06/2019 14:10

These trees do sound naff as fuck. However, I think people underestimate not just time, but even costs of materials. I quilt, and a while back someone admired what I was making and asked if I'd make another one for her baby. I think I'd used something like 8 different fat quarters of liberty lawn. She was totally gobsmacked to discover I couldn't buy 8 fat quarters of liberty for 10-20 quid, not even by watching ebay religiously.

MarshaBradyo · 25/06/2019 14:15

The trees aside it is incredibly hard to make money - by the time you add up the outlay etc it makes handmade stuff so expensive

You have to charge a lot to make it worthwhile

BertrandRussell · 25/06/2019 14:21

“but to cost in my time even at minimum wage would make a small stuffed animal cost 60 pounds.”

I commissioned a crochetted armadillo for Christmas for ds (he’s 17-long story!) and had to bargain the woman upwards because she was insisting on charging practically nothing for what I am sure was at least 5 hours work.....

Someonesayroadtrip · 25/06/2019 14:25

I spend a small fortune on Etsy! I like things that are different and more unique, I want what I want and Etsy usually has what I want, your supporting an individual rather than a company, plus it's usually way better quality.

I pay £2 per brownie or cupcake occasionally from a local cake shop,she literally has a small unit in and industrial estate, and everyday she makes ton of cakes and every day she sells out!

There are things I don't buy, things like weighted blankets, they cost way over £100 anywhere, but not not sure I can justify the cost when I don't know if it will help (I have children with a ASD).

stucknoue · 25/06/2019 14:34

It's a free country, if someone wants to part with their cash for "artisan" products that's their choice

drowningincustard · 25/06/2019 14:42

I think there are 2 kinds of hand made items - the ones that can be done by anyone and the ones that take some skill/learning.
Generally the first kind get an eyeroll from me because they seem to price their skill/time too high - the cones of mixed sweets, glitter covered wine glasses etc.
The second kind where I can see the skill/time I tend to think - how on earth are they making any money because there is no way they have accounted for the hours of labour that have been put in - really good cakes, knitted toys, etc.
There's no pleasing me!!!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.