My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Would you commit to attending a wedding the day you land back off a long haul flight?

42 replies

AnthonyCrowley · 12/06/2019 12:52

Land at Manchester around 7am if plane isn't delayed. Coming from Mexico. Wedding is a 3 hour drive from Manchester and is at 2pm.

It's my step brother and I would like to go, dd would really like to go. Obviously we will be as jet lagged as shit.

But my main concern is what if the flight is delayed back and miss the whole thing but they've paid out for food for us, etc?

OP posts:
AnthonyCrowley · 12/06/2019 18:58

dd Is really excited about going to a wedding, she's never been to one! And I would like to see them get married.

OP posts:
Honeyroar · 12/06/2019 19:02

Fair enough! Either way, you should get a bit of sleep and it will be easier.

Leggyfrog · 12/06/2019 19:07

You need to accept that you may not have had any sleep - landing in the UK at 7am is 1am mexico time. You will be very lucky if you have managed 3 hrs sleep on the flight. I would plan to go to evening and if you make the church it is a bonus.

Ginger1982 · 12/06/2019 19:11

Off the subject slightly but I think it's weird to invite folk to the ceremony and then the evening do only rather than the whole thing. Normally evening guests just go at night surely? That was how we did it anyway.

AnthonyCrowley · 12/06/2019 22:11

Well I spoke to another sibling who has had a similar invitation and said I'm not reading it wrong am I? It says you are invited to celebrate the wedding of X and Y at z location and also to the evening reception at a different location.

Two friends said they would just assume they're invited to the whole thing if they got an invite like that.

Other sibling said no, it's def just the wedding ceremony and the evening do. Apparantly he had a similar invite years ago and assumed he was invited to the wedding breakfast and followed everyone else. It was a bit embarrassing as him and his gf couldn't find their names on the seating plan. A waiter fetched the brides mother who said they weren't expecting them...brother said well we RSVP'd and brides mother explained they weren't invited to that bit. Was rather awkward apparantly.

OP posts:
effiehabb · 12/06/2019 22:15

We've just got back from Mexico on Sunday and no I would not want to do this at all! We've been to Mexico holidaying annually in the Rivera Maya for the last 16 years so not strangers to the route. It tires you out like you wouldn't believe.

wobinb · 13/06/2019 06:38

I attended a wedding directly after a 26 hour flight from NZ.
To be honest, having the wedding to look forward to helped the flight pass quicker and gave an incentive to sleep on the flight.
My tips:
See if you can shower at the airport before boarding the flight - perhaps investigate lounge access to do this. (I also did this at the half way point)
Taxi from airport to home, or valet parking to reduce the stress of returning to long stay car parks.
Have your wedding clothes ready at home, so quick showers, change and back out again.
Lastly enjoy the wedding!

AJPTaylor · 13/06/2019 06:41

I would assume that is not an invite to the wedding breakfast. Church and evening. Could you check with a parent?

TheBrockmans · 13/06/2019 06:45

I would plan to get taxi back if possible then you can sleep. Can anyone drop you at the airport on the outward leg? You would save a little in car parking charges. With a break in the middle (and lots of alarms) you should manage a nap.

AnthonyCrowley · 13/06/2019 06:55

Ive already got valet parking booked and paid for. Don't think it's refundable. Can't get anyone to drop me off at the airport on the way to Mexico as leaving mid week. Not sure I could afford taxis there and back as would cost a fortune.

OP posts:
JoJoSM2 · 13/06/2019 07:01

I was going to say that I'd probably move my holiday to be at the wedding but then I read that you'd been omitted from the wedding breakfast. So you probably aren't that close. In that case, I'd accept but mentioned the situation and the small chance of delays.

StarlightLady · 13/06/2019 07:08

I’ve done it coming in from Singapore. Just warn them you will do all you can to get there. It is likely that it will help you adjust to UK time too.

junebirthdaygirl · 13/06/2019 07:10

If my step brother only invited me to the evening reception l don't think ld bother going even if l had no flight that day. It's very bad form.
And if your dd if off that flight too she will be wrecked and get no sense of a wedding if only attending the evening part. She could be flat out by then.

bollocksitshappenedagain · 13/06/2019 07:12

I did it after 13 hour o/n flight. Got a lift home from family they took our luggage and dropped us at the venue. Pain was everyone touching up their makeup in the toilet when I wanted to actually get changed!

Assumed would stay until after meal but actually kept going until midnight - no idea how!

AnthonyCrowley · 13/06/2019 07:20

It's the wedding and the evening reception. Just not the wedding breakfast.

Which is fine, I'm sure it's a numbers thing. We didn't grow up together so although we get on fine we don't know each other that well.

OP posts:
scaevola · 13/06/2019 07:20

Tiredness is a hazard when driving. Probably not helped if you're feeling under time pressure.

Is there any way you can avoid being the driver? Get a lift? Pay for a long-distance taxi?

GoGoJo · 18/06/2019 12:35

Oh well I'm that case I would rsvp for the evening only and give yourself some breathing space.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.