My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Nitrofurantoin. Feeling really awful on them. Is this common?

22 replies

Laiste · 02/06/2019 12:42

Just that really. I'm on day four of them and feel almost like i'm badly hungover. Tired, nauseous, floaty, headachy, tired dizzy, did i mention tired?

I hope it's the tablets tbh. It would be very unusual, i never usually react to meds.

OP posts:
Rememberallball · 02/06/2019 13:20

Were they prescribed following culture and sensitivity of a urine sample or prescribed as being ‘the standard antibiotic for a uti’? It’s possible the infection you have is resistant to them and so is still present and making you feel rotten. I would go to the local walk in centre (if there is one nearby) as you should be feeling better by day 4 of antibiotics for a UTI.

DtPeabodysLoosePants · 02/06/2019 13:22

I had this and then discovered I was septic so I'd recommend getting seen at the out of hours. I then came out in a rash from them. I was so ill I wanted to die and ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics.
Please don't assume it's side effects, it could be the infection which should have started to clear up by now.

Laiste · 02/06/2019 13:56

Blimey!
Thanks for the answers.
I've just been in tears over oven chips so very much not myself ....

I was prescribed them after a urine test at docs. I suffer with cystitis a couple of times a year and this is one of them. I presented a sample at reception and was prescribed this by the nurse/doc who tested it later in the day. The docs receptionist then phoned to say there was a scrip to pick up.

The cystitis itself feels a bit better, but generally i now feel like shite. I think i usually get prescribed amoxi somthing for cystitis.

OP posts:
WarIsPeace · 02/06/2019 14:02

I felt less terrible on nitrofurantoin than on other antibiotics tbh. I'd also wonder if it's the infection making you feel awful, if they sent your sample off it may be back tomorrow and they can check it's the correct one for your particular infection

Laiste · 02/06/2019 14:05

If the infection were still biting, wouldn't i still have the classic cystitis symptoms still going on though?

OP posts:
endofthelinefinally · 02/06/2019 14:09

I had an awful reaction to nitrofurantoin. I have it documented as a drug allergy on my records.
I felt very sick, terrible headache and joint pain.
All got better as soon as I stopped it.

DtPeabodysLoosePants · 02/06/2019 14:10

Mine had improved as the infection had spread to my kidneys. Don't chance it, please get seen ASAP.

Heyha · 02/06/2019 14:13

I have also had a bad reaction to nitro for a UTI (though I think they did work at least). It's safe in pregnancy so was given it for a UTI at 10 weeks but I was so sick and ill on them, definitely not morning sickness. Swapped onto amoxicillin without a bother so I have a note on my file now not to give nitro. Don't keep suffering on them either way, if it's the infection they aren't working and if it's the tablets they can soon swap you to amoxi to ensure the infection is gone Flowers

Heyha · 02/06/2019 14:14

I don't mean stop taking them obvs (although I did, naughty!), just get booked to see someone as soon as you can to review the situation.

NC2605 · 02/06/2019 14:19

Yes another who reacted badly to nitro as you and other PPs described but at first thought it was just the UTI but the moment I stopped taking it and it got out my system I felt so much better. Also have it recorded as an allergy now too. I'd go back to your GP if I was you Smile

DtPeabodysLoosePants · 02/06/2019 14:20

Its also down as an allergy for me too. I was given IV gentamicin the oral trimethoprim

PonderingPanda · 02/06/2019 14:24

I felt iller taking them then the original UTI... but l preserved as it was only a very short course

Laiste · 02/06/2019 14:27

I'll 100% ask for this to be put on my notes.

I feel if i go to the doc they'll just say if the cystitis feels better just don't take any more of the tablets. And i feel inclined to just not take any more and see how i feel tbh.

I'm not trying to be an awkward bugger here - i just hate going to the docs ... Blush

OP posts:
mabelisable · 02/06/2019 14:30

My mum had these and she was really out of sorts whilst she was on them for a UTI. Very subdued, not eating, really very worryingly not her usual self. In fact she phoned the GP who said that she needed to finish the course regardless. They didn't work and she had to have a course of another antibiotic afterwards.

WhoWants2Know · 02/06/2019 14:31

I don't think it's a good idea to stop taking them without speaking to a doctor first.

Laiste · 02/06/2019 14:34

Thank you for all these answers.

WhoWants2Know - yeah. I know.
I'm the one who's always pushing and shoving the rest of the family to get to the docs and get sorted out, but when it's me ... i'll find any excuse not to. I always feel like a time waster.

OP posts:
PonderingPanda · 02/06/2019 14:47

How many doses have you got left?

You're suffering from the side effects of them so if you can tolerate finishing the course then you should.

It is not an allergy and l would advise you to not have that written on your medical notes. Have it documented as an intolerance. I have an intolerance to erythromycin (diarrhoea) but if it was the last AB that l could have to cure me I'd take it. If you put it down as an allergy the doctors won't take that chance incase you have an anaphylactic reaction

Laiste · 02/06/2019 15:54

I was given a 7 day course. So i've got 3 days to go. Big yellow and blue 'orse tablets as my dear dad used to call them.

@PonderingPanda - yes, intolerance sounds more accurate. ''if it was the last AB that l could have to cure me I'd take it.'' God I agree. Even though i feel awful nothing is as bad as having cystitis.

I tend to start bleeding straight away when i get a UTI. Docs are always Shock at the amount of blood in my urine even though i never go later than day two of the very first symptoms.

OP posts:
Laiste · 02/06/2019 15:56

Sorry i'm taking ages to reply. I'm 'helping' DH doing plasterboarding. (More of a hindrance today i think. I just want to lie down)

OP posts:
MauisHouseOnMaui · 02/06/2019 16:16

I've been on these this week too and have felt rough as a dog. Nausea, tiredness, mood swings, paranoia, no appetite, and luminous yellow wee! They got rid of the infection symptoms really quickly but the side effects have been pretty awful, finished the course yesterday and my appetite has come back this afternoon so I'm looking forward to a lovely roast later.

If they're working then persevere. I found that drinking a glass of milk while taking the tablet and then having a small snack immediately after helped with the nausea (snack of choice was salt and vinegar Squares), paracetamol helped with the headaches and joint pain, and giving myself a stern talking to helped with the mental and emotional side.

PonderingPanda · 02/06/2019 16:52

OP - l think you should be lying down. I was able to work whilst l had my UTI but not once l started on the AB as l really felt crap then!

Laiste · 02/06/2019 17:03

*@MauisHouseOnMaui@ You've summed it all up v.well. I'll do that for the next tablet. There's nothing on the box about eating/not eating with it.

Pondering We've stopped now. Thank goodness. DH has called a halt for the day and is clearing up. Once DD4 (5) is in bed i can give in to horizontalness Grin

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.