My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

4 year old wants to eat loads of chorizo

41 replies

cranetime · 02/06/2019 07:24

My 4 year old would eat chorizo all day if I’d let him. He tried it on holiday and now it’s his favourite thing. For breakfast Hmm.

How much is bad for him and what else would he like if he likes this?

OP posts:
ooooohbetty · 02/06/2019 10:38

I can't buy chorizo because I eat the whole lot as soon as I get home. No self control and it is the nicest food in the world. I understand him totally. I have it every day on holiday for breakfast. Yes I'm very fat.

Tolleshunt · 02/06/2019 10:39

I wouldn't be too bothered, as long as you get a nitrite free one.

It may well be a phase, however DD's olive obsession has been going for almost three years now....

cranetime · 02/06/2019 10:47

”DD's olive obsession has been going for almost three years now....”

😁

She’ll have great skin!

OP posts:
JingsMahBucket · 02/06/2019 10:47

The thought of a chorizo-mad 4 year old fills my heart with food-based glee! I’m imagining him with red stains all over his mouth and fingers. That’s so cute!

I’m more of a savoury than sweet person so your son may be like that too. I prefer cheeses, sliced or whole meats, etc to chocolate or ice cream. Don’t get me wrong, I love sweet stuff but there have been many times I’ve chosen cheese over sweets. :)

cranetime · 02/06/2019 10:52

JingsMahBucket He’s definitely a savoury boy! He didn’t try cake until this year, not even his own birthday cakes, and has never had a sweet except for one jelly bean which he didn’t like. Has only started to have ice cream recently. He does like chocolate but given the choice would be more likely to choose crisps over chocolate and now would definitely choose chorizo. 😁

OP posts:
cranetime · 02/06/2019 10:54

He’s also hummous mad but it has to be the Taste the Difference one from Sainsbury’s. I think it’s a stronger taste. He would rather have a bowl of hunmous than ice cream.

Wonder if he needs the salt..🧐

OP posts:
cranetime · 02/06/2019 10:56

It’s the So Organic one, not Taste yeh Difference, and less salt than the others. It might be the garlic he likes.

OP posts:
BertrandRussell · 02/06/2019 10:59

My dd still adore olives and she’s 23.

I have such happy memories of the staff at the deli counter being charmed by a toddler demanding “More one oblob!” She must have decimated their profits with all the free olives she got!

Lwmommy · 02/06/2019 11:04

Scrambled eggs with chorizo cut into small chunks, spring onion and a bit of cheese is delicious. You could finely slice some bell peppers in there for added veg. Added benefit that it's really quick to make!

plunkplunkfizz · 02/06/2019 11:07

That chorizo crumb is incredible. We always keep some in. It’s quite nice to grill very thinly sliced chorizo too and stick that on top of things like risotto for texture.

Youngandfree · 02/06/2019 11:11

@Tolleshunt olives are a hit here too 😂 I think my children are half Italian and half Asian 😂😂 (their other favorite dishes are duck ramen with all the trimmings and dim sum 🙈)

Tolleshunt · 02/06/2019 11:16

I think like salty, umami flavours a lot more than they're given credit for in some quarters.

Bertrand that is so sweet, 'oblob'!

cranetime she has fantastic skin!! But she's not yet 4, and has been slathered in spf50 every day there has been even a hint of sun, so no wonder. But yes, they are great for skin, and also your gut and brain, so I don't worry about the salt and just account for it elsewhere in her overall diet.

JingsMahBucket · 02/06/2019 11:27

@cranetime yes he may just prefer saltier or more spiced flavours like paprika, garlic, curry, etc vs the usual milder flavours of Northern European cooking.

midsummabreak · 02/06/2019 12:42

Wait until he tastes Cheese Kransky sausages, yum , layers of sliced potato with grated cheese, crumbled egg , & sliced cheese kransky over the top

cranetime · 02/06/2019 12:43

midsummabreak Am googling!

OP posts:
DizzyPigeon · 02/06/2019 13:56

Does he like eggs? Chorizo goes quite a long way in a frittata, and you can smuggle in some vegetables as well.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.