My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

If you work part time

43 replies

OddCat · 31/05/2019 19:30

Say you work Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You take the Monday bank holiday off, are you then able to take the Friday off because Monday was a bank holiday?

OP posts:
OddCat · 31/05/2019 20:14

blackteaplease because I was sitting at my desk when they explained what they were going to do. It's a very small company only seven of us and this is the first part timer they've had. My boss, this colleague and I were discussing it (yesterday)and boss said he wasn't sure it was correct, colleague was meant to be working from home today, I had to call them and was told they weren't working today because of the bank holiday.

OP posts:
BarrenFieldofFucks · 31/05/2019 20:23

Why were they off on Monday if not bank holiday and not holiday?

OddCat · 31/05/2019 20:33

I don't get what you mean

OP posts:
BarrenFieldofFucks · 31/05/2019 20:35

So they had the bank holiday off as a bank holiday? What is the thought process behind the extra day?

OddCat · 01/06/2019 07:14

BarrenFieldofFucks I have no idea.

OP posts:
BuffaloCauliflower · 01/06/2019 07:27

If you work part time you’re not even automatically given all bank holidays, you get a certain number and have to take the rest as annual leave, even if the company is closed on those days.

Do you mean she thought getting a free day off for a bank holiday gave her an additional annual leave day off? That makes no sense

blackteaplease · 01/06/2019 07:28

I think your colleague has seriously misunderstood something. But I also think your boss needs to get up to speed on how pt holidays work and then have a word with her.

Northernsights · 01/06/2019 07:29

If you work 3 days/week you should get 3 /5th of the annual leave allowance plus 3/5ths of the bank holidays. If you work on Mondays it can be a pain as so bank holidays fall on Mondays you end up having to use some of your leave if your workplace is closed. Certainly no extra days for part- timers though!

BuffaloCauliflower · 01/06/2019 07:29
  • unless your job specifically includes all bank holidays as part of your total entitlement that is
Spam88 · 01/06/2019 07:47

I'm totally confused by the question. Why would she think having a bank holiday off would then also entitle her to another day off? Why wouldn't the same apply to everyone? Assuming it works the same as most places, her bank holiday entitlement would be proratad so she'd only be entitled to 3/5ths of it off and would have to take the rest from her annual leave entitlement. She certainly isn't entitled to twice as much time off for a bank holiday as full time staff Confused

Also unsure why your boss 'isn't sure this is right' - why would anyone think it might be right??

Settlersofcatan · 01/06/2019 07:56

You get your annual leave and bank holidays in proportion to what you work. So if 4 days a week, you get 80% of your leave allowance + 80% bank holidays rolled in together as your leave allowance. But you then need to use leave for bank holidays - except those that fall on your non working day.

So, if you don't work Mondays, you don't get more total time off - you wouldn't have worked on a BH Monday so it's not extra - but you do get more flexibility with your total leave allowance.

Lamentations · 01/06/2019 08:49

Why do I get credited? Because bank holidays are extra days off for all staff and are in addition to usual days off. So if not I would have every Monday off and have 52 unpaid days off per year plus weekends. If my part time colleague had Tuesdays off then for the same salary they would have 52 unpaid days off, their weekends and an additional 8 days off just because they chose to have a different day off. I get the time credited so all is fair.

OddCat · 01/06/2019 08:50

I couldn't fathom my colleagues thinking and also couldn't understand why my boss had to 'think ' about it . I don't know how to broach it with my boss without sounding petty, I know it's not really any of my business but in such a small company it falls on me to cover for this bloke when he's off.

OP posts:
Chasingsquirrels · 01/06/2019 08:58

In my organisation everyone (full and part timers) get their holiday allowance plus bank holiday allowance converted to a total and then all leave, whether it falls on a bank holiday on not, is taken from that allowance. Work is not open on bank holidays.
As a part timer this work in my favour as I could still work my 4 days in a bank holiday week and use my bank holiday hours at another time.
For other part timers it might be a pain if they can't make up the hours in that week so have to take the BH off but don't have a full days allowance for it (e.g. work 4 x 7.5 hour days, so only get 4/5 x 7.5 hours holiday allowance for a BH but have to take 7.5 hours off).

Your colleague already seems to have had the advantage of a full bank holiday when she only works 3/5ths of a week. To then be taking and additional day (in some sort of lieu for already having had the day off??) would on the face of it appear to be completely wrong.

OddCat · 01/06/2019 09:30

My colleague is definitely wrong

OP posts:
BuildBuildings · 01/06/2019 09:38

We have lots of part time people including myself. I work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Our holiday is given to us in hours per year including Bank Holidays. I work 22hrs a week or 0.6% of full time. So for each bank holiday I'm given 0.6 of a day's hours to take as I want. This works out really well for me as I don't work on a Mon so effectively it boosts my holiday allowance as most bank hols fall on a Monday. Hope this makes sense?

BuildBuildings · 01/06/2019 09:40

Your example might make sense if they didn't work a Monday but it feels like they gor an eztra day off. I was confused by your example as it made so little sense! Must be irritating

poptypingchef · 01/06/2019 09:55

All employees by law are entitled to 20 days holiday and 8 days bank holiday based on a 40hr week.

If you for example work 20hrs per week you would be only entitled to 10days holiday and the equivalent of 4days bank holiday.

Unless stated by your company policy you should use any holiday allowance to cover any hours/days you don’t work to ensure you have completed your contracted hours.

E.G I work Mon/Tues/Wed normally but want Monday off. I can:
A) take the Monday as a holiday
B) Arrange to work another day to make up my time.

Some companies advise of forced holidays ie Xmas day/New Years day and this (unless stated in company policies) must also be taken from your AL/bank holiday entitlement.

It’s actually a much fairer system as before you had to work the actual bank holiday to accrue. This way you get it automatically included regardless of what days you work.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.