Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Clifton Suspension Bridge - parking?

OverInfestedBadger · 10/05/2019 21:26

We are in Bristol for an event this weekend and DS wants to see the bridge on Sunday. Can anyone recommend where to park?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Greenteandchives · 10/05/2019 21:27

Park on Ladies Mile or Sea Walls on the Downs, and walk down.

Please
or

Gamorasgran · 10/05/2019 21:28

It's basically street parking I seem to remember.

Please
or

AvocadosBeforeMortgages · 10/05/2019 21:32

It's all street parking. Best to check out the CPZ rules on the council website.

Ladies Mile is a good place to park - free, and a very pleasant walk across the Downs to get there.

While you're there, you can check out the Observatory, the tunnel through the rock to the balcony in the cliff (which probably has a snappier name to it) and the known-only-to-locals rock slide (which is great for kids, and, from memory, grandparents who definitely ought to know better Grin) chopsybaby.com/magazine/clifton-rock-slide-slidey-rock-clifton-suspension-bridge-bristol/

Please
or

sue51 · 10/05/2019 21:35

I think parking in the Clifton area is free on Sunday.

Please
or

OverInfestedBadger · 11/05/2019 07:41

Thanks this is great. We will go for the Ladies Mike I think.

OP's posts:
Please
or

KatyN · 11/05/2019 08:17

I would park on the other side, Leigh woods. Church road on google maps. But that’s because the houses in that side are amazing to look at!

Not the question you asked... but why the bridge? If it’s an engineering love, you can see brunel’s original bridge from the floating harbour in hotwells. This was way more revolutionary for Bristol that the suspension bridge.

For the bridge, if you drive over the a3029 you get an amazing view of it.
It’s £1 to drive over and they accept cards.

Have a lovely time. I flipping love Bristol!

Please
or

User7429001 · 11/05/2019 08:50

I would second the floating harbour and underfall yard which shows how it all works, is free and you can still see the bridge.

Please
or

yellowsun · 11/05/2019 08:52

I often park where the red line is. If not, it’s driving around the village and trying to squeeze into a space!

Clifton Suspension Bridge - parking?
Please
or

yellowsun · 11/05/2019 08:54

Do the observatory and the rock view thingy. There’s also a visitor centre on the other side of the bridge. On the Clifton side there’s a nice play area. Plenty of nice cafes etc in the village.

Please
or

AvocadosBeforeMortgages · 11/05/2019 09:14

If looking for lunch, Clifton Village is the place to go (it's also nice for a wander as it's one of the most well heeled parts of Bristol). The Primrose Cafe is particularly lovely - I always order the goats cheese salad (but they don't do it on a Sunday, boo)

Please
or

OverInfestedBadger · 12/05/2019 14:10

We parked where Yellowsun suggested, although it was so early this morning that there was plenty of space. DS loved the rock slide!

OP's posts:
Please
or

yellowsun · 12/05/2019 16:37

Glad he liked it! My son does too.

Please
or

Trumpton · 12/05/2019 17:25

I am in my 60s and used to slide down that rock slide as a child ! Aww !

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.