My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Cold to the core - please give me your tips for keeping warm / warming back up!!

16 replies

Pitapotamus · 08/11/2018 19:43

I’m so so cold, all the time. Currently in a hoodie and fluffy slippers under a blanket on the sofa. Once I get cold I struggle to warm back up again and I seem go into hibernation mode so I get nothing done!!

My lips and hands get chapped till they bleed as soon as the cold whether sets in as well so I’m cakeing on the lip salve and moisuriser to no effect!

I’d welcome any tips on items of clothing that are particularly versatile and generally how you keep warm in this weather without wearing a ski suit from October to April!!

OP posts:
Pitapotamus · 08/11/2018 19:45

*weather not whether! Clearly I’m too cold to use the correct spelling.

OP posts:
PurpleCrazyHorse · 08/11/2018 19:48

My feet have to stay warm or I get cold. Decent wool socks and warm slippers are a must.

I've seen heated slippers and heated blankets. They seem pretty good and getting extra warmth to you rather than waiting for your body to heat itself up IYSWIM

We've also got thermal tops that I wear under regular clothes. Layers trap heat, so I like to layer up. Leggings under trousers also work well.

NoSquirrels · 08/11/2018 19:51

So - easier to stay warm than to warm up. Keep your house at a temperature you need.

Uniqlo Heat-tech layers are brilliant.

Fingerless gloves, lots of layers of clothes, tights under trousers plus thick socks, etc.

Rarotonga · 08/11/2018 19:52

Get your thyroid checked out OP. It is involved in temperature regulation. I don't have a thyroid gland and experience similar issues.

To keep warm...the only thing that seems to work for me is having a warm bath or shower. I tumble dry (briefly) some warm soft PJs and get straight into those once dry. A nice snuggly blanket on the sofa. Slippers.

JuniperBeer · 08/11/2018 19:56

M&S have some great thermals. Long sleeved/short sleeved or vest tops. I swear by them! Also, it has been prove. If your wrists stay warm your hands stay warmer. I make sure I’ve got a hoody on at work rather than a gilet.

CMOTDibbler · 08/11/2018 19:57

I'm a cold mortal, and am already in my light down coat outside. Inside, I relax in a very cosy fleece onesie with heat holders slipper socks or down slippers and angora socks. The onesie has thumbholes so it comes right down over my hands.
Out and about its warm clothes, boots, fleece wristwarmers and then gloves over. When colder I add a fleecy hat, warmer coat and down mittens. Colder again and its little hotties hand warmer sachets in the coat.
The biggest thing is not getting cold in the first place - bed or shower into fleece dressing gown or onesie, warm enough clothes for inside with the slippers, then making sure I have my wrist warmers on so my hands never get cold

SneakyGremlins · 08/11/2018 19:58

A heated throw!

And I use Epaderm moisturizer, only thing (for me personally) that stops me getting chapped skin!

Coldhandscoldheart · 08/11/2018 19:58

To help dry hands, wear gloves every time you step outside, make sure you wear gloves to wash up etc.
Take tea and soups and things. Keep your neck and ankles warm. Buffs are good for necks, slimline, don’t show much. Wear leggings under trousers & tuck them into your socks. Make sure your vest is tucked into your (underpants) leggings.

Pitapotamus · 08/11/2018 20:04

Wow, thanks for so many responses! I have got a dodgy thyroid but I take medication for that so it can’t be that!

I’m going to go to m&s at lunch time tomorrow and buy ALL the thermals!! Off to get my fingerless gloves on now!

OP posts:
CMOTDibbler · 08/11/2018 20:17

Talking of tucking things in, my german colleagues have a lot to say on the subject of keeping your kidneys warm, looking at this, I found these tube things which are designed for this, and they are ideal for bridging the trouser/ top area. I usually wear a Primark camidress to enable full tucking in, but sometimes it doesn't quite work. I also use the kidney warmer tube when cycling or running when its cool as I get a cold bum

Pinkyponkcustard · 08/11/2018 20:58

Hot hairdryer for a few seconds over the sheets before you get in bed. Just takes off the freezing sheet feeling.

FlaviaAlbia · 08/11/2018 21:04

Lots of layers, preferably jumpers and vests made from wool where possible and hiking socks all the time. You can get sheepskin insoles for shoes which I've been considering, I really hate cold feet.

@CMOTDibbler my granny frequently warned me I'd get a cold in my kidneys if I didn't put more clothes on, I can't wait to tell her an entire country agrees with her Grin

PlateOfBiscuits · 08/11/2018 21:07

Wear a hat.

Have a warm drink.

Santaispolishinghissleigh · 08/11/2018 21:10

Thermal flannelette top and bottom sheet +pillowcases.
Honestly bed is too warm!

OneStepMoreFun · 08/11/2018 21:13

You have to warm up first, then stay warm. Have a hot bath. Leave PJs on radiator, under the towel, dry and dress in them, then put fleecy socks and fleece dressing gown on, and sheepskin slippers or Ugg style boots. Not a beautiful look, but so cosy and it's a kid-magnet if you like them to snuggle up with you for TV or stories.

HellonHeels · 08/11/2018 21:14

Eat! I get unwarmably cold if I haven't eaten enough.

Keeping head and feet warm helps. Agree with suggestion of a Buff. Try a merino one, or fleece. Fleece-lined leggings from M&S.

I'd get back to GP for a check on your thyroid, medication may need adjusting.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.