My feed

to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.


Shall I sell the children or not?

14 replies

SHRIIIEEEKPoolingBearBlood · 27/10/2010 20:39

Just had an email from mum:
"Hi Stealth

Grandad has asked whether he could buy the children "

So am in a quandry, as you can imagine.


  • full night's sleep
  • could probably negotiate a decent sum for them
  • I would mop the kitchen floor weekly, like a normal person

  • is it legal?
  • My Grandad is lovely and very fit for his age, but he is nearly 87 - could he cope with the demands of a 3yo and a 1yo?
  • How to convince DH -really don't think he'd go for it
  • I might, you know, miss them

Any advice greatly appreciated
OP posts:
feedtheghoul · 27/10/2010 20:43

I think you really need to know exactly what offer is on the table before you can flat out refuse. Times are hard......

SuePurblybilt · 27/10/2010 20:44

hmmm, difficult. Could you work out a form of lease and lend? He is nearly 87 as you said, he may be inclined to hand them back soonish anyway. Insert a large cash penalty in case of early surrender.
Tell DH they have scholarships to Eton.

What will you spend the money on?

SHRIIIEEEKPoolingBearBlood · 27/10/2010 20:44

So you think I need to open the way for negotiations?
I am a little surprised, he has had 3 of his own, and his eldest, my dad, is coming up to 60. Suppose he must just have decided his orderly, sedate, relaxed life was missing something.

OP posts:
SHRIIIEEEKPoolingBearBlood · 27/10/2010 20:44

I'm not good with contracts. But yes, a long term lease may be the way to go.

OP posts:
coffeeicing · 27/10/2010 20:45

Would he settle for mine if you don't go for it?! I'd do a very good deal.

feedtheghoul · 27/10/2010 20:46

I think the leasing idea is definately the way to go.

SHRIIIEEEKPoolingBearBlood · 27/10/2010 20:47

I'll ask ci, but you know how it is when you know what it is you want? Anything else seems like second best, even when it's just as good.
I have emailed mum back telling her to get his lawyers to give me a call with some figures.

OP posts:
magna · 27/10/2010 20:47

Negotiations sound good - maybe a trial week just to see if its feasible Grin

nancy75 · 27/10/2010 20:48

if yours are too expensive he can have mine for nothing, although the early return penalty would still apply!

SHRIIIEEEKPoolingBearBlood · 27/10/2010 20:50

are you trying to undercut me Hmm

OP posts:
nancy75 · 27/10/2010 20:53

i believe its called gazundering! you know market forces and all that Grin

SHRIIIEEEKPoolingBearBlood · 27/10/2010 21:08
OP posts:
Maisiethemorningsidecat · 27/10/2010 21:11

I think as long as he was prepared to pay a fair price for them, then yes, go for it. Just make sure the contract is watertight though, in case he changes his mind after a couple of weeks and you're already (understandably) sunning youself in the Maldives with a good book and a nice cocktail. You don't want to have to give all that up for the sake of your children.

SHRIIIEEEKPoolingBearBlood · 27/10/2010 21:34

well exactly
Right, that's decided, going for it

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.