Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I used to be Muslim -AMA

113 replies

Tiddlywinx · 16/09/2022 22:07

Born and raised Anglican, became Muslim in my early 20s after much research and having really enjoyed the academic side of Islam, now 10 years on, I’m ‘meh’, I wouldn’t say I’ve renounced it in a mic drop sense but I do feel apathetic.

I know this (leaving Islam) has garnered headlines in the news and it’s not that kind of post, I’m actually secretly hoping it might help me organise my thoughts, so AMA- I won’t hold back.

just to say, my experiences are just that, mine, and any negative ones I’ve had obviously aren’t universal and they don’t represent an entire religion/ minority community/
sect/ ethnic group.

also, please no takfiri death threats/ going to hell stuff, it will push me further from the deen and further some rather nasty stereotypes

OP posts:
Please
or

Naijagal · 19/09/2022 16:58

Tiddlywinx · 18/09/2022 20:13

Ok my point is to be Christian is to believe in the trinity, i don’t.

and yes that’s pretty much the Islamic point, that there’s more to the bible and the NT than what Jesus said or revelation ergo it’s innovation and the Quran came to correct it.

Hi @Tiddlywinx What is it exactly that makes a person a Muslim? If someone said to you today, I want to become a Muslim, what do you say to them?

** Unfortunately you’ve gotten it wrong that believing in trinity is what makes a person a Christian.
The Bible clearly states that whoever trusts in Jesus, who He is, what he did and follows/obeys His commands is saved (and hence called Christian). There’s no mention of trinity in the Bible it might be alluded to but it’s not what makes a person Christian.**

Also I find it interesting that you were happy to believe that an ordinary man ascended to heaven, but found it hard to believe that an extraordinary man could die and get resurrected (also ascended in the biblical texts)

Please
or

Naijagal · 19/09/2022 17:01

Fieldfly · 19/09/2022 08:38

Do you believe that the Christian god and Islamic god are the same thing - just worshipped in different ways?

Clearly not the same as God revealed in the Bible came to this world in the person of Jesus to give proof that God really exists and what His character is like but The Quran says that this same Jesus was just an ordinary man.

Please
or

headstone · 19/09/2022 17:35

I am a convert too, a lot of dust you say resonates with me. I have not lost faith in God, but I struggle following the religion at all now. There doesn’t seem much scope for women except remaining hidden and quiet. My Husband’s family are from North Africa and have been extremely kind and welcoming to me. My immediate issue is that my brother will gay and my dh won’t let my younger children be around him and his partner, it is breaking my heart.
The reason why I went from Christianity to Islam is in part because my husband explains the religion do beautifully, I Also like the fundamental belief surrounding God, it makes so much sense compared to the trinity.

Please
or

Tiddlywinx · 19/09/2022 19:34

Naijagal · 19/09/2022 17:01

Clearly not the same as God revealed in the Bible came to this world in the person of Jesus to give proof that God really exists and what His character is like but The Quran says that this same Jesus was just an ordinary man.

well Muslims believe it is the same god, just worshipped in different ways, which is why Muslims can eat the meat of the Christian’s and Jews and muslim men can marry them. Of the disbelievers Jews and Christians hold a higher status and there are verses that say they will go to heaven too.

i Personally believe Muslims, Jews and Christians worship the same god. It actually makes me quite sad when I think about it, nearly 3 billion people who squabble and fight over how best to worship and love the same thing

OP posts:
Please
or

Tiddlywinx · 19/09/2022 19:46

Naijagal · 19/09/2022 16:58

Hi @Tiddlywinx What is it exactly that makes a person a Muslim? If someone said to you today, I want to become a Muslim, what do you say to them?

** Unfortunately you’ve gotten it wrong that believing in trinity is what makes a person a Christian.
The Bible clearly states that whoever trusts in Jesus, who He is, what he did and follows/obeys His commands is saved (and hence called Christian). There’s no mention of trinity in the Bible it might be alluded to but it’s not what makes a person Christian.**

Also I find it interesting that you were happy to believe that an ordinary man ascended to heaven, but found it hard to believe that an extraordinary man could die and get resurrected (also ascended in the biblical texts)

Is not nicene creed central to Christianity? I think it is…

well, ive never been a literalist scripture wise. Christian doctrine that Jesus did on the cross and was resurrected and then ascended to heaven, Muslims believe it was made to look like Jesus died but he actually didn’t but that he still ascended to heaven.

muslims believe Jesus was an ordinary man ie human and not god incarnate but not that he was just an ordinary man ie your average joe. Islamically Jesus was a man of impeccable character and chosen by god to be both a messenger and a prophet, and he performed miracles too, he did so because god allowed him to, not because he was god. I thinks you’re being too literal with the thinking that Jesus was an ordinary man.

to be a Muslim is it believe that there is 1 god and Muhammad was his messenger. If you believe those, then the theoretically you are Muslim.

It goes a bit deeper there are 6 pillars of faith:
-belief in god, his books (Torah, book of psalms, gospel and the Quran), angels, his messengers (all the OT and NT testaments + Muhammad, belief in the last day, and gods plan / destiny.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fieldfly · 19/09/2022 20:37

Najgal - I wasn’t asking you! This is ama - we are asking the op the questions.

Please
or

Tiddlywinx · 19/09/2022 21:02

Fieldfly · 19/09/2022 20:37

Najgal - I wasn’t asking you! This is ama - we are asking the op the questions.

Just to copy what I said above

I believe it’s the same god, that’s pretty much Islamic thought too.

i Personally believe Muslims, Jews and Christians worship the same god. It actually makes me quite sad when I think about it, nearly 3 billion people who squabble and fight over how best to worship and love the same thing

OP posts:
Please
or

Naijagal · 19/09/2022 22:23

Tiddlywinx · 19/09/2022 19:46

Is not nicene creed central to Christianity? I think it is…

well, ive never been a literalist scripture wise. Christian doctrine that Jesus did on the cross and was resurrected and then ascended to heaven, Muslims believe it was made to look like Jesus died but he actually didn’t but that he still ascended to heaven.

muslims believe Jesus was an ordinary man ie human and not god incarnate but not that he was just an ordinary man ie your average joe. Islamically Jesus was a man of impeccable character and chosen by god to be both a messenger and a prophet, and he performed miracles too, he did so because god allowed him to, not because he was god. I thinks you’re being too literal with the thinking that Jesus was an ordinary man.

to be a Muslim is it believe that there is 1 god and Muhammad was his messenger. If you believe those, then the theoretically you are Muslim.

It goes a bit deeper there are 6 pillars of faith:
-belief in god, his books (Torah, book of psalms, gospel and the Quran), angels, his messengers (all the OT and NT testaments + Muhammad, belief in the last day, and gods plan / destiny.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying you don’t believe in those things anymore, which now makes you a non Muslim?
I didn’t see that in your description.
Has your belief in Mohammed dissipated?

The Nicene creed is just a statement of what Christians believe, it’s not what makes people “Christian”
Plus there’s no mention of trinity in the creed, infact the beginning says

”We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, the maker of heaven and earth, of things visible and invisible”
Which is stated in the Bible severally, there is only one God.

Not sure what you mean by being too literal, but thanks for correcting me that Jesus isnt “ordinary” according to the Quran I do wonder why it’s a bone of contention that he didn't die though…
anyways I do hope you find the truth and a community that you love and loves you.
All the best.

Please
or

Tiddlywinx · 19/09/2022 23:19

Naijagal · 19/09/2022 22:23

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying you don’t believe in those things anymore, which now makes you a non Muslim?
I didn’t see that in your description.
Has your belief in Mohammed dissipated?

The Nicene creed is just a statement of what Christians believe, it’s not what makes people “Christian”
Plus there’s no mention of trinity in the creed, infact the beginning says

”We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, the maker of heaven and earth, of things visible and invisible”
Which is stated in the Bible severally, there is only one God.

Not sure what you mean by being too literal, but thanks for correcting me that Jesus isnt “ordinary” according to the Quran I do wonder why it’s a bone of contention that he didn't die though…
anyways I do hope you find the truth and a community that you love and loves you.
All the best.

It’s more that I’m not sure if I believe in anything, sometimes I wonder if it’s all just a big con. But there is a huge huge amount of evidence that Muhammad physically existed, more than Jesus actually, so then I think why would anyone lie, and then feel confused.

sorry but the nicene creed definitely references god in 3 persons.

www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe

the bone of contention is that Jesus died for the sins of the world and was resurrected, it’s not what Muslims believe. The contention is that it’s just not what the Quran teaches. Islam and Christianity have different concepts of salvation

OP posts:
Please
or

mathanxiety · 20/09/2022 01:54

@Naijagal the Nicene Creed is the basic exposition of the Trinity.

I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,

and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

This ^^ is the Catholic version I am familiar with.

Please
or

mathanxiety · 20/09/2022 02:04

that’s pretty much the Islamic point, that there’s more to the bible and the NT than what Jesus said or revelation ergo it’s innovation and the Quran came to correct it.

Even going on the words of Jesus alone, did he not pass on the authority to teach and to forgive sin to the Apostles?

Please
or

Tiddlywinx · 20/09/2022 09:01

mathanxiety · 20/09/2022 02:04

that’s pretty much the Islamic point, that there’s more to the bible and the NT than what Jesus said or revelation ergo it’s innovation and the Quran came to correct it.

Even going on the words of Jesus alone, did he not pass on the authority to teach and to forgive sin to the Apostles?

muslims don’t believe that Jesus’s words are still in tact and preserved as such . The basic point is, anything that is confirmed by the Quran or sunnah is true and everything that’s negated was bidah, for instance people forgiving on behalf of god, that’s a direct contradiction to Islam, there are no intermediaries for god on earth and only god can condemn or pardon. That attracted me also, but as I was CoE the papacy and intermediaries were less of a n issue

OP posts:
Please
or

stripyspider · 21/09/2022 16:27

OP what are your thoughts on Sikhism ? It seems to cover a sense of one God, without the trinitarian aspects of Christianity you struggle with ? Very big focus on community and equality.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?