Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I work in university admissions AMA

94 replies

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 18:13

Hello

Ahead of A Level results day, I thought I'd see whether anybody wanted to ask any questions about university admissions or clearing.

I only have experience of one university so obviously can't answer for all but will try my best with any general questions.

I'll be working long hours for the next few days helping students who have just got their results but for some reason I thought I'd offer my services early!

OP posts:
Please
or

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:04

@marcopront Yes, absolutely. It's a very well respected qualification worldwide and I'd be surprised if any UK university didn't accept it.

OP posts:
Please
or

unlimiteddilutingjuice · 17/08/2022 21:06

Thanks UniAdmissions Thats going to be tough but potentially doable.

Please
or

shopsalot · 17/08/2022 21:06

Thanks @UniAdmissions that makes sense

Please
or

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:08

@SeeSawDaw That’s a good question and not one I’ve been asked before so I don’t have a lot of knowledge on this I’m afraid. Although we generally prefer to speak to the student directly, as long as they give permission for us to speak to a third party we can speak to parents if necessary so you could step in if needed. We don’t expect students to confirm over the phone whether they want to accept an offer, it’s more a fact-finding mission at that point. It’s normal for students to speak to several unis and then take a bit of time to digest their options before entering their choice in UCAS.

OP posts:
Please
or

SeeSawDaw · 17/08/2022 21:11

Thank you @UniAdmissions - best wishes for tomorrow!

Please
or

Weekendersonourown · 17/08/2022 21:13

@UniAdmissions possible thread hijack alert but I have a job question for you...

I worked as an admissions assistant for years, entering offers based on points in a central admissions team plus other general admissions stuff, clearing, etc. I then moved on up to a different kind of professional services role which is neither student not applicant facing, and more project based, and now have an interview coming up for an admissions role at a higher grade than before (5). Any tips?!?

Good luck to everyone tomorrow 🤞

Please
or

Allthegoodusernamesareused · 17/08/2022 21:23

Hi, my daughter has heard a rumour that suggests that if she logs in to UCAS after midnight, she'll be able to see if her first choice is confirmed. Is there any truth in that (am assuming not..)

Please
or

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:27

@Weekendersonourown Hello, congratulations on the interview! I’m guessing that’s a coordinator/management role? If so, I think the key is to show that you’re capable of looking at the processes from a more strategic point of view. Things I would be considering are staffing, systems (process improvements) and relationships with the wider university.

Staffing: do you have enough, are they deployed across the right tasks for the right amount of time (at the right time), are there any training issues which could be addressed.

Systems: are they working as well as they could (I imagine not based on my experience!), what are the quick wins, how can you improve efficiency and access to information.

Internal relationships: These are key if you want to change the processes with the academic schools and gain buy in from them. Smooth communications with other depts can also be crucial, such as registry, international, marketing etc.

Does the department deal with international applications? If so, many universities have seen a huge increase in overseas apps this year and admissions depts are struggling to cope so it’s a hot topic. You might want to think about how much extra resource is required (and whether this should be long term or fixed term in case of it being a temporary increase).

I don’t think you need the answers to these questions at this stage but just showing an awareness of the wider issues would be good.

I hope you did mean interview tips and not tips for how to cope with the role! Good luck!

OP posts:
Please
or

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:29

@Allthegoodusernamesareused No, I'm afraid not. There's a very strict embargo which means nothing can be communicated before 8am tomorrow.

So tell her to get some sleep :)

OP posts:
Please
or

PiggyInTheMiddleagain · 17/08/2022 21:31

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:29

@Allthegoodusernamesareused No, I'm afraid not. There's a very strict embargo which means nothing can be communicated before 8am tomorrow.

So tell her to get some sleep :)

Thought not. I shall tell her! Thank you 😊

Please
or

butterflyflutterby123 · 17/08/2022 21:31

Thank you so much for helping out!

DD has a place at a good uni but was rejected from her dream course and is trying to decide if to reapply. Is it true that unis prefer real to predicted grades?

Please
or

FAQs · 17/08/2022 21:37

@UniAdmissions thank you really appreciate it

Please
or

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:40

@butterflyflutterby123 You’re welcome :) I’m not sure ‘prefer’ is the right term but we can assess with a much greater degree of certainty so it’s easier in many ways. I’m not sure whether you mean she would apply via clearing this year or wait and apply next year? If she gets better grades than the ones she was predicted which were rejected then it would definitely be worth speaking to the uni’s clearing line to find out whether they would now be willing to accept her.

Actually, if it’s still her dream course then she may as well call to enquire about clearing even if she gets the predicted grades which were rejected. There’s always a chance that the course has under-recruited and lowered requirements as a result.

OP posts:
Please
or

Weekendersonourown · 17/08/2022 21:41

Thanks so much, interview tips are just what I was hoping for ;)

It's interesting because it's very different from my current former poly and is based in an academic dept in a more traditional institution. Potentially a big change for me.

Thanks again and all the best for this week! And apologies to all the parents of applicants for the hijack!

Please
or

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:44

@Weekendersonourown Ah if it's based within a traditional academic dept then you should probably ignore my tips and just focus on reassuring them that you will never ever make any changes to their ridiculously outdated processes ;)

OP posts:
Please
or

Dogsinpajamas · 17/08/2022 21:48

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 20:41

@Dogsinpajamas She just needs to wait to be given an unconditional offer and she can then contact the admissions team of the university directly and ask for her offer to be deferred. I'm sorry to hear about her mental health, I hope a year out helps her to recover.

Thank you

Please
or

OrangeBlossom28 · 17/08/2022 21:49

Are the universities who have been firmed or insured likely to email confirmation of a place prior to the 8am timing?

Please
or

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:50

@OrangeBlossom28 No, nothing is allowed to be communicated before 8am tomorrow.

OP posts:
Please
or

OrangeBlossom28 · 17/08/2022 21:51

I thought that might be the case but want sure if the embargo applied to universities too in terms of the timings for tomorrow. Hopefully the UCAS website doesn't crash!

Please
or

Weekendersonourown · 17/08/2022 21:52

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 21:44

@Weekendersonourown Ah if it's based within a traditional academic dept then you should probably ignore my tips and just focus on reassuring them that you will never ever make any changes to their ridiculously outdated processes ;)

Hahaha! I will keep that in mind ;)

Please
or

Soscrewed · 17/08/2022 21:54

A family member who works for a respected ancient University told me that they disregard qualifications in native languages (eg Welsh or Scottish gaelic) as they aren't viewed to be as high brow as modern languages or Latin. Is this true where you are? I'm pretty disappointed this view is taken.

Please
or

FloozingThePlot · 17/08/2022 22:17

Admissions Tutor for a professional course here. In addition to GCSE and A-level / BTEC etc results, Personal Statements are needed for some courses including the one I manage. Clearing applicants may need to have one at the ready or be able to write one fairly quickly.

Please
or

UniAdmissions · 17/08/2022 22:39

Soscrewed · 17/08/2022 21:54

A family member who works for a respected ancient University told me that they disregard qualifications in native languages (eg Welsh or Scottish gaelic) as they aren't viewed to be as high brow as modern languages or Latin. Is this true where you are? I'm pretty disappointed this view is taken.

No, this isn't true where I work and I can understand your disappointment if that is the case elsewhere.

OP posts:
Please
or

Flesh · 17/08/2022 22:45

Are you on WIWIKAU lots of uni staff on there tonight.

They just noticed York don't have any places for home students and lots of speculation as to why.

Please
or

butterflyflutterby123 · 17/08/2022 22:49

Tysm @UniAdmissions

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?