My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I'm a Cybersecurity consultant and developer - AMA!

44 replies

ClaireDendie · 10/12/2019 18:53

Hi! As you have read my title I work in the developing world of cyber security, specifically in Trojan (virus) development and testing, in order for them to be patched by OS's like Microsoft and Mac OS. Obviously I cannot share files or git files, so please don't ask about files. But mostly anything else goes, so shoot it at me!

OP posts:
ClaireDendie · 21/12/2019 10:19

@ExpletiveFairylighted You will need a couple of routers or connections to do so, however if you connect them to separate networks, and have them synced into to the nest cloud, they will work seamlessly for you on the app. The reason to why you'll want to do this is because if a hacker does crack your WiFi, they'll only get access to one camera instead of all of them!

OP posts:
ExpletiveFairylighted · 21/12/2019 11:12

Thank you, we don't have cameras at the moment just smart lights and thermostat but cameras are a possibility at some point.

MsChatterbox · 21/12/2019 11:13

Brilliant thanks for that info. He would like to know where the best place is to find these contracts. Atm he is using all the typical job sites but of course lots of people apply for these!

Lllot5 · 21/12/2019 11:16

Do you ever threads and think wtf is everyone talking about. 🤣

user1492771818 · 21/12/2019 11:23

Which browser, adblocker, OS and messenging service do you use?

ClaireDendie · 21/12/2019 11:26

@MsChatterbox Indeed.com is the place, but if you want to get noticed, you have to be creative.

If your DH has found a contract work ad, I would go hunt down the phone number to the company, and tell a white lie such as 'Hi I'm trying to apply to [Job Title] on [So and so site] however I keep getting errors when submitting my application, is there an email I can apply to?' You do have to blag them a bit, however most of the time they will have an email. If he really wants to impress, instead of making an application in writing get him to create a video covering his CV/Cover Letter, maybe demonstrating any vulnerabilities in their site, this is the best advice I can give for standing out of the crowd in this day and age of online job seeking!

OP posts:
ClaireDendie · 21/12/2019 11:30

@user1492771818 I use Kali Linux for work, however use regular windows for day to day stuff (use a Virtual Machine if I need to do a job at home), and use Mozilla Firefox on both OS, I just use the bog standard Adblock really, it's effective enough. And I use most of the mainstream messaging services depending on who I need to speak to Smile

OP posts:
ClaireDendie · 21/12/2019 11:35

In fact I shouldn't have said 'regular windows' I do run windows pro as I can use bitlocker and other tools.

OP posts:
MsChatterbox · 21/12/2019 13:55

Great thank you so much!

FrontRowSeat · 21/12/2019 14:00

So glad you’ve posted this. What course would you recommend for a beginner with not much of a budget?

ClaireDendie · 21/12/2019 19:45

@FrontRowSeat I would advise looking at freecodecamps ethical hacking crash course, and then if you're still interested go onto their site for more advanced courses, then if you want to expand more, use sans.org's guides/courses.

OP posts:
safariboot · 21/12/2019 19:51

What's with these logins I've seen a few places use lately?

i.imgur.com/keLf2Dv.png

It makes it much more difficult to use a password manager, and doesn't it mean my password is being stored in plain text? And yet I've seen this used by a bank and an IT security accreditation body.

NagaisAce · 21/12/2019 20:19

After doing A++ would you advise doing CISSP?

ClaireDendie · 21/12/2019 20:50

@safariboot Those logins should only come in when it comes to something with a lot of data or finances to it, I assume that's the NatWest app. Those logins are great though, they stop brute forcers from using a word list/number combo list and just getting into your account, I know it takes more time, but the added security is a necessity.

OP posts:
ClaireDendie · 21/12/2019 20:52

@NagaisAce A++ is most you need for most job, but if you want to fastrack to more senior levels, do CISSP!

OP posts:
Helplorditsahardlife · 09/02/2020 14:37

Pls, help with this as I think my email and content of my phone is being hacked or tried to. I got the attached email below a few days ago which I. Opened on my iPhone 8. I am I right in thinking someone is trying to hack me or just paranoid? Thank you.

I'm a Cybersecurity consultant and developer - AMA!
Jesz · 23/02/2020 12:11

@Helplorditsahardlife Soneone has obviously just emailed you a picture, I think it could be a scan but obviously in Japanese, disregard and move on.

Jesz · 23/02/2020 12:13

I think it could be a scam where they would email you a picture and make you believe they're'in your system', I am OP I just name changed.

TooTrueToBeGood · 23/02/2020 12:28

@NagaisAce A++ is most you need for most job, but if you want to fastrack to more senior levels, do CISSP!

Whoa! CISSP is a management level cert and should never be the next step for someone who is at the CompTIA A+ level. Besides, whilst there are no criteria for sitting the CISSP exam, you need 5 years verifiable paid cybersecurity experience (some partial exemptions available) to call yourself CISSP. It's a hard exam, very much not for the novice, and ties you into annual maintenance payments to boot.

There are many better recommendations than that for someone starting out, Security+ being one. Frankly though, my advice would be to focus on building knowledge and skill, starting with a good foundation in networking, OSs and general IT, rather than collecting certifications.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.