My feed

to access all these features


Need advice on what to do?

1 reply

StaceCr · 11/10/2019 14:16

So here goes... one year ago my best friend was in dire straights. He had just split with his long term partner and had moved from Manchester back in with his mum down south but they were arguing constantly so I held out an olive branch and invited him to come stay with me for a while to help him out and also because his mum is a bit crazy and was filling his head with negative thoughts constantly to the point where he tried to take his life.
So here we are present day. He has now been living with me for nearly a year but he hasn't made much progress with anything else. He has a small business which he runs from my house doing prints which gives him an income which he does use to help towards the food bill each week but he also suffers from anxiety and wont leave the house except to go to the post office. I have a 7 year old son and previous to my friend moving in, I had just split from my sons dad after 9 years together so it was nice to have that little bit of company again. But now our friendship is beginning to fracture and quite frankly I would like my personal space back but what help is there out there. He has nowhere else to go, he cant go back to his mums and has no other friends of family he speaks to. He would never consider living in a shared house so I feel stuck. He spends all day sat in a chair watching netflix and eating then moans at me that he is putting on weight. I have tried getting him to go out for walks with me, healthy diets etc etc. I have tried it all bit now I feel I just cant help him anymore and need to know where to look for him to get the help he needs. He wont see a doctor or speak to anyone about what is going on in his head but his demise is causing my own and everyday I become a little more depressed about the situation. I dont know what to do but I cant let him stay here anymore. What options do I have as I cant just put him out onto the street and I dont want to lose his friendship. I am at my wits end. Help!!!

OP posts:
Treesinaforest · 11/10/2019 20:48

I think you've posted this on the wrong part of the site, so maybe ask MNHQ to move it so you can get some good advice.

For what it's worth I think you should give your friend a move out date, and advise him to see a gp, go to citizens advice to find out what benefits he might be entitled to, and what housing options they can suggest for him.

You can be kind about it, but be firm as well. What you offered him was only ever meant to be temporary, and it's time for him to take control of his own life

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.