Talk

Advanced search

What does Coffee have to do with being Trans?

(23 Posts)
itsallthedramaMickiloveit Thu 12-Mar-20 15:27:37

I did have a quick look to see if this had been posted but couldn't see anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But it turns out I won't be using Starbucks anymore and I'm a little sad.

OP’s posts: |
Mrskeats Thu 12-Mar-20 15:31:53

www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/02/16/murray-starbucks-transgender-kids-promo-incredibly-sinister/

Mrskeats Thu 12-Mar-20 15:32:54

Check out that from 44 mins.
It's to try and appear all hip and trendy and distract people from the fact that they don't pay taxes.

maslinpan Thu 12-Mar-20 15:34:09

Starbucks coffee is shit IMO, but they make megabucks plus they have a huge platform to reinforce the feelgood rainbow inclusive message.
I am sure they think it makes them look oh so relevant, you can bet Starbucks will not be interested in such issues as detransitioners, the disquiet about the Tavistock etc etc.

itsallthedramaMickiloveit Thu 12-Mar-20 15:34:17

Thank you. I will be getting the baby down for a nap and watching.

boatyardblues Thu 12-Mar-20 15:42:29

There’s no need to point people to this via Breitbart (shudder). There is already a thread about this with the YouTube link.

boatyardblues Thu 12-Mar-20 15:45:00

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3837767-Douglas-Murray-letting-rip-about-Starbucks-is-an-absolute-joy?pg=1&order=

Mrskeats Thu 12-Mar-20 15:45:51

Thanks
Didn't realise the link was from them.
It's so spot on though.

RossPoldarksChest Thu 12-Mar-20 16:03:24

Jeezus. Nobody gets the advert?

It's the crisis of your identity as a transperson, who still has to go via their birthname, but who grabs their cuppa with the name they identify as written on it. The cuppa makes them smile because their chosen name goes on it.

Seriously, no need for people to be so rude.

MrsSnippyPants Thu 12-Mar-20 16:11:05

'Crisis of your identity', hyperbole much?

It's coffee not a GRC. I get AdultHumanFemale on my cup when I shell out for a coffee, am I having an identity crisis?

CheriLittlebottom Thu 12-Mar-20 16:23:42

Profit. That's what they have in common.

Coffee makes Starbucks a lot of money.
Trans ideology makes pharmaceutical companies a lot of money.

Together they spur each other's respective customer bases on to buy, buy, buy and even more money sloshes around the cup.

Languishingfemale Thu 12-Mar-20 16:27:06

Indeed CheriLittlebottom Follow the money.

aliasundercover Thu 12-Mar-20 16:29:30

I’m one of the few (it seems) who actually really likes Starbuck’s espresso. I still won’t be going there in case I inadvertently buy a biscuit that donates to Mermaids.

Starbucks - Let me know when your sense has returned.

Babdoc Thu 12-Mar-20 16:30:31

Anybody can use any name they like. Many of us are called by nicknames or pet names by our friends and family anyway, or use a middle name if we don’t like our birth name.
A trans male can call themself Doris if it makes them happy- what’s the problem? And it has nothing to do with coffee. As PPs have said, it’s just Starbucks fishing for woke points.
Trans people have every right to live their life with whatever clothes, names, and old fashioned gender stereotypes that they want, so long as they stay out of our protected single sex spaces - sports, changing rooms, refuges, toilets, shortlists and prisons.

Francina670 Thu 12-Mar-20 16:35:42

‘Every name tells a story’

No it doesn’t. Almost no one chooses their own name.

This advert wouldn’t have worked with a male to female protagonist as they wouldn’t pass and there’d be a wtf/comedy moment when they ask the barista to write Tiffany

TheWordWomanIsTaken Thu 12-Mar-20 18:14:43

Babdoc
And they stop forcing me to use untrue pronouns and participating in their delusion.

AngelicaKauffman Thu 12-Mar-20 18:20:45

Why are there so many threads today where OPs just assume everyone will know what they're talking about? Is it so hard to include a link or something in your thread? Or are we all supposed to go googling and researching before we reply?

Thisismytimetoshine Thu 12-Mar-20 18:26:21

Validated by asking some random to write your chosen name on a disposable coffee cup? confused
Like the rushed off their feet barista gives a shiny shite what you like to call yourself.

itsallthedramaMickiloveit Thu 12-Mar-20 18:37:59

@AngelicaKauffman well others managed to understand it fine. Starbucks have created an advert that focuses on a poor Trans person who buys coffee and is happy.

zanahoria Thu 12-Mar-20 20:10:24

how apt, they only serve brown liquid that identifies as coffee

Thisismytimetoshine Thu 12-Mar-20 20:24:48

grin

LiterallyProblematic Thu 12-Mar-20 21:18:40

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3837767-Douglas-Murray-letting-rip-about-Starbucks-is-an-absolute-joy

FlyingOink Thu 12-Mar-20 23:17:08

Validated by asking some random to write your chosen name on a disposable coffee cup? confused
Like the rushed off their feet barista gives a shiny shite what you like to call yourself.
gringringrin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in