Talk

Advanced search

Malcolm Clark on the madness of crowds

(9 Posts)
TheShoesa Tue 18-Feb-20 15:47:40

This twitter thread was linked to on (I think) the Lisa Nandy thread

twitter.com/TwisterFilm/status/1229539824031485952

Lots of interesting clips on there.

There is a video quite a long way down it on social conformity, which I found really interesting and which I think goes some way to explaining what has happened in our universities. The pressure to conform to group think can be incredibly strong, which is why opposing voices are so very important.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8BkzvP19v4&feature=emb_title

OP’s posts: |
DuLANGMondeFOREVER Tue 18-Feb-20 15:57:19

It’s so good! Here’s the thread reader version.

threadreaderapp.com/thread/1229539824031485952.html

DuLANGMondeFOREVER Tue 18-Feb-20 16:02:48

The combined effect of the above thread and this article from Tavistock clinicians about girls and ROGD (published on WPUK) is enlightening:

womansplaceuk.org/2020/02/17/the-natal-female-question/?fbclid=IwAR0O4VxNHCsq5pcls3ZG2M3Sg7C66hVrx-LPRYR4YFOyk-D3KAcBheX1K4U#_ftn1

Cuntysnark Tue 18-Feb-20 16:05:06

He’s posted some cracking threads over the last week or so.

BovaryX Tue 18-Feb-20 16:17:41

We're at the point when the price of tulips is still high but no longer rising. Rumours have spread they're way over priced and there's fear in the air. When the crash comes it will be spectacular. It always is. In every delusion the bubble is biggest before it bursts

DuLang fascinating thread. I thought the point about peer pressure, conformity and the fear of being perceived as deviant for defying the crowd was really interesting. Also, that people can be persuaded to do things which are very dubious if directed by authority figures. The electrical shock experiment is a fascinating example.

MoleSmokes Wed 19-Feb-20 16:26:01

He’s posted some cracking threads over the last week or so.

I agree, Cuntysnark !

I hope these have all been archived - some of them have but I haven't checked all of them (there's a "Load More" button under the most recent 24 listed):

threadreaderapp.com/user/TwisterFilm

Carowiththegoodhair Wed 19-Feb-20 16:34:47

I was showing some of the DC the candid camera clip and explaining group pressure.

Malcolm produces consistently excellent informative content.

littlbrowndog Wed 19-Feb-20 16:42:32

Malcolm is awesome on twitter

R0wantrees Wed 19-Feb-20 16:54:37

Dead Poets Society - Conformity Scene

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ_htuCMCqM

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in