Talk

Advanced search

Spanish Big Brother

(13 Posts)
AMillionMugsNoTeabags Sun 01-Dec-19 16:45:36

I couldn’t see a thread on this already...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50572307

Alleged sexual assault in the Big Brother House, filmed obv - alleged victim forced to watch the film “alone” in the diary room. But it’s ok because... bla bla bla “...lessons learnt...” bla bla bla “...protocols....”.

How can ANY human being have thought this was an appropriate way to deal with this...

T0tallyFuckedUpFamily Sun 01-Dec-19 16:52:58

That poor poor young woman. That’s horrific. It’s awful to say, but I was actually more shocked by what the tv people did, than the rape. It may not be classed as rape according to their laws, but it definitely would be here. They’re a shower of scum.

BarbaraStrozzi Sun 01-Dec-19 16:57:25

It's bloody terrible.

Do the Spanish still have the law that it's only rape if you can prove you fought back? (So sex with someone who is unconscious or drugged doesn't count?) I seem to remember that was key in hte infamous gang rape case recently, because the victim froze with fear and couldn't fight back.

Yes TV company are scum.

Vajrayogini Sun 01-Dec-19 17:45:28

It's still classed as 'abuse' in spain and they claimed that they spoke over the speakers in the bedroom to tell him to stop it (after 5 minutes!!) so they must have known it wasn't ok. The people that make these programmes have the ethics of the tabloid media (i.e.none). The fact that they went on to remove her from the house without a chance to speak to her housemates or have a go at him (which she wanted to do) is appalling too. No wonder in UK there have been suicides by former reality TV stars

PerkingFaintly Tue 03-Dec-19 00:29:14

Blardy hell.

BeginningToLookLikeChristmas Tue 03-Dec-19 02:59:55

Horrendous. They could have & should have stopped it.

HandsOffMyRights Tue 03-Dec-19 07:03:49

This is sickening - what the hell have I just read?

SeaViewBliss Tue 03-Dec-19 09:02:05

The court ruled out rape because the victim was in an "unconscious state" and the accused had not used violence or intimidation.
This is from an article about another case in Spain.

These awful laws need to be changed as soon as possible.

PerkingFaintly Tue 03-Dec-19 09:53:41

It's noticeable that the TV company's behaviour was about disempowering her and overruling her decisions about her self.

She didn't know about the assault; they put her alone in a room and filmed her learning about it.

She said she wanted to speak to her assailant; they said they didn't want her to, and used their physical power over the situation to prevent her.

She said she wanted to speak to her housemates; they prevented her.

She said she wanted to leave the room; they prevented her.

So the TV company took control away from her, of her own body and life, exactly at the time she was learning the assailant had taken control away from her.

Qcng Tue 03-Dec-19 17:14:45

Patriarchy alive and well.
And people still think women have "won" "equality".

jellyfrizz Tue 03-Dec-19 17:17:23

This is vile.

Chlosavxox Tue 03-Dec-19 17:38:13

What happened to the rapist?

PerkingFaintly Tue 03-Dec-19 20:51:03

Not familiar with Spanish procedures, but looks like José María López may be tried.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50572307
In October the judge investigating the case concluded there was evidence Mr López might have committed the offence of sexual abuse and recommended the case for trial.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »