Talk

Advanced search

Transgender rugby player in women's team

(22 Posts)
OldCrone Tue 13-Aug-19 23:13:30

On this evening's news in Wales. Starts at 22:40.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007p9j/bbc-wales-today-evening-news-13082019

Kelly Morgan is not a small person. Surely this could be dangerous for the female players.

TheInebriati Wed 14-Aug-19 00:14:20

Male rugby players on Twitter are saying this is ridiculous.

Whatsnewpussyhat Wed 14-Aug-19 00:26:23

Can you do a Twitter link? Cant find anything.

Aspley Wed 14-Aug-19 00:37:03

I saw the a university sports physio, years ago.
She told me how much she hated women playing rugby.
Primarily because women tended to not have played it from a young age (as boys tend to do) their bodies are not as prepared for the physical impacts so injuries were very common.
Add a male person into the mix and more injuries are inevitable.
Someone needs to learn to say no to these people

Oldstyle Wed 14-Aug-19 00:47:21

It's so obviously not fair, and Kelly's inclusion adds to the dangers of an already dangerous contact sport. Plus that's one woman whose place will have been lost to a TW and every other team they play against will start to look out for their own TW members in order to even out the competition. First step in the elimination of women's sports. I wouldn't expect anything else from WRU mind you - they are a useless bunch of self-opinionated self-congratulatory blokes without a moral fibre between them (not just my view!).

QueenYnci Wed 14-Aug-19 00:58:57

From the coach: "At the end of the day can you exclude people? Not really, I don't think it's fair..."

There's just no comment that wouldn't get me deleted...

JustTurtlesAllTheWayDown Wed 14-Aug-19 06:16:39

I also couldn't find tweets about that player. If anyone could put up a link?

I did however find this one about a different tw rugby player I didn't know about (not Mouncey). It's from Feb 2018.
In this one, they're a university player who's been limited from playing in certain instances by team rules and think that's unfair.
The comments from women are generally supportive while the men think it's dangerous.

mobile.twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/965346189766934528

KatvonHostileExtremist Wed 14-Aug-19 07:13:33

Scored the winning try on their debut. Nice.
I really don't think mixed rugby is a good idea, no matter how much female hormones make this person "cry" and stuff. Ooo look the hormones turned me weak and feeble.

MIdgebabe Wed 14-Aug-19 07:19:26

But cancer weakens people , injury weakens people. We don’t allow those people to play on women’s teams to make it fairer for them do we? The medical treatment they are receiving for their mental problems is no different.

SunsetBeetch Wed 14-Aug-19 07:23:32

"Kelly rediscovered her love for rugby after she transitioned" hmm

SarahTancredi Wed 14-Aug-19 08:15:09

Ffs.

Mouncey already broke a womans leg. This madness will get someone killed. Or paralysed from the neck down.

Its sickening how they will risk someone being seriously injured or.killed because mens feelings....

Another woman who should have been playing now isnt angry

General0rgana Wed 14-Aug-19 08:21:00

Apropos of nothing, World Rugby Mixed Gender Rugby Guideline.

Of course, this is irrelevant, as in this case it is mixed sex, and the gender of the players is apparently not mixed.

General0rgana Wed 14-Aug-19 08:40:52

World Rugby Medical Guidelines & Documents / Gender /

OldCrone Wed 14-Aug-19 08:44:33

World rugby transgender policy.
playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/?documentid=193

OldCrone Wed 14-Aug-19 09:12:47

From the World rugby transgender policy.

she must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Expert Panel (on the balance of probabilities), in accordance with clause 4, that the concentration of testosterone in her serum has been less than 5 nmol/L continuously for a period of at least 12 months

According to the news report, Kelly qualifies to play in female sport under Olympic rules. The IOC rules say that testosterone should be below 10nmol/L. World Rugby say they have made a 'conservative' decision, which seems sensible for a sport like rugby (but it's still dangerous to allow males to play in women's teams).

But they also say this:
she must provide a written and signed declaration, in a form satisfactory to the Chief Medical Officer, that her gender identity is female

We badly need a definition of what a 'female gender identity' actually is.

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 14-Aug-19 10:26:42

Shit! I used to teach a number of the England women's team - that'll out me for those in the know smile

Even those who had played snce they were about 5 or 6 couldn't safely take on the mediocre male players, and some of these girls were VERY well built for the game as well as very skilfull.

Haviung said that, I can't find anything about Kelly Morgan on t'internet!

OldCrone Wed 14-Aug-19 10:39:39

I can't find anything on the web about this apart from the team's facebook page. The video clip is on there, and there's a link to Kelly's page.

en-gb.facebook.com/Rhondda-Senior-Ladies-Rugby-279252139343905/

Whatsnewpussyhat Wed 14-Aug-19 11:42:54

she must provide a written and signed declaration, in a form satisfactory to the Chief Medical Officer, that her gender identity is female

What a load of old bollocks. Gender identity is whatever they say it fucking is which has zero bearing on their biological SEX. It can neither be proven or quantified other than with ridiculous stereotypes.

From the coach: "At the end of the day can you exclude people? Not really, I don't think it's fair

Yes you can bloody exclude males from female sports! No matter what drugs they take, regardless of surgeries and certificates. They can be legally excluded.
He doesn't think it's fair to exclude the male without one iota of thought for fairness to all the actual female players. Dickhead.

They are welcome to play with other males.

andyoldlabour Wed 14-Aug-19 13:11:17

Whilst looking for more info on the Welsh player, I came across this article about an Aussie transwoman who plays women's rugby.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3784883/I-totally-macho-Former-rugby-player-talks-life-transitioning-woman-reveals-used-dress-secret.html

A transman taking testosterone competing against the women.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6109467/Transgender-rugby-player-reveals-female-rival-spat-blood-MOUTH-match.html

wibbletooth Wed 14-Aug-19 13:42:26

Would be interesting to know what their insurers have to say about the increased risk of injury and if they have had to pay more for their medical cover...

DanaPhoenix Wed 14-Aug-19 15:43:02

Very good point wibbletooth although it's my understanding at least from youth rugby in OZ that team fees contribute to insurance coverage for injuries to team members.

So considering any injuries are more likely to occur to opponents it does raise some very interesting questions. Obviously there would also be a risk to own teammates during training... what a minefield.

TheInebriati Wed 14-Aug-19 15:44:31

I can't find the link now, it was a convo that I liked on Twitter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »