Talk

Advanced search

Women’s right and public sector funding (Scotland): please feedback

(38 Posts)
Birdsfoottrefoil Sun 11-Aug-19 13:47:47

I keep trying to drum up interest in this: deadline 23rd August

www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/CurrentCommittees/112216.aspx

“The Scottish Parliament’s Equalities and Human Rights Committee (EHRiC) is seeking views on delivery of national equalities and human rights priorities as part of its scrutiny of the Scottish Government’s Budget for 2020-21... As part of the Committee’s consideration of the Scottish Budget for 2020-21 the Committee wants to explore public sector funding to third sector organisations that deliver national equalities and human rights priorities, and to assess the accountability of public bodies partnering with the third sector in achieving better outcomes for those groups who have equality needs or require support to access their rights.“

“The Committee would particularly welcome responses on the following questions. If you would like to make a response, you do not need to answer all of these questions and can feel free to focus just on those that are relevant to or interest you. Please limit your response to no more than four sides of A4.
What are the key public policy areas where individuals and protected groups are struggling to access their rights?
Which groups of people are most likely to be affected and why?
What type of public sector funding (European, national or local) is provided to your organisation to support vulnerable groups and those with protected characteristics to access public services?
Is the level of public sector funding provided enough to deliver national priorities and better outcomes for people and communities, please provide evidence?
Are there public funding challenges for the third sector; if so what would be the implications for delivering equalities and human rights outcomes?
What type of administrative systems are in place to monitor the impact on equalities and human rights outcomes from public sector funding to the third sector?
What changes could be made to improve accountability for national priorities being delivered by the public sector in partnership with the third sector?”

Birdsfoottrefoil Sun 11-Aug-19 13:49:31

This is important both in terms of trans lobby groups receiving funding to destroy women’s but also to raise the need to flag up other protected characteristics.

littlbrowndog Sun 11-Aug-19 14:13:10

Bump

NonnyMouse1337 Sun 11-Aug-19 17:04:59

Oh thank you for raising this. My brain is frazzled right now but I'll need to fill this in.

morningtoncrescent62 Sun 11-Aug-19 17:41:34

Thanks for this, birdsfoottrefoil. I wasn't aware of it, and I've aded it to my to-do list. For Women Scotland (contact details on their website) would probably send it round on their email list and put it on their blog if you ask them.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 11-Aug-19 19:33:04

the Committee wants to explore public sector funding to third sector organisations that deliver national equalities and human rights priorities

I wonder if it would explore the fact that orgs who wish to support women have to be "inclusive" to receive any funding.

SonicVersusGynaephobia Sun 11-Aug-19 19:41:35

Placemarking as a reminder to fill this in when I'm on the desktop.

Daughterofmabel Sun 11-Aug-19 20:08:29

Done

ScrimshawTheSecond Sun 11-Aug-19 20:32:25

Is it for individuals to fill in? Looks like it's for third sector organisations only?

Birdsfoottrefoil Sun 11-Aug-19 22:09:37

Scrimshaw it doesn’t stipulate organisations, 3rd sector or otherwise.

AnotherAdultHumanFemale Mon 12-Aug-19 00:02:35

I will add this to my things to do list, thanks for sharing. I replied to the Scottish MP who was looking for feedback and it was great when they delayed (and will hopefully stop) the proposed changes. I imagine she got thousands of replies just like mine. Every reply counts. smile

littlbrowndog Mon 12-Aug-19 08:25:39

Bump

NotAnotherFeckingMuftiDay Mon 12-Aug-19 09:26:52

Thanks for sharing this.
Adding it to my To Do list.

ScrimshawTheSecond Mon 12-Aug-19 10:30:59

Okay, thanks Birdsfoot, I shall add it to my list for later in the week. I can see at least parts of it might be relevant to some groups/programmes I'm involved with.

ArnoldWhatshisknickers Mon 12-Aug-19 10:36:44

I answered as a public sector worker who signposts vulnerable people to third sector organisations. I only answered the first, second and last questions.

My response might not be given much weight but I felt it was worth giving my perspective.

Birdsfoottrefoil Mon 12-Aug-19 11:06:19

I listened to a parliamentary debate recently and what struck me was how little the MPs/MSPs know about a subject, even one they are interested enough in to contribute to the debate. They seemed to rely heavily on personal experience and anecdotes provided by constituents. So lobby groups can have a huge influence and may even be welcomed by MPs/MSPs to tell them about the subject. Of course they provide biased information but politicians may not always appreciate this or have time to look for the alternative arguments. Hence any input into these committees is important to flag up the alternative arguments.

ScrimshawTheSecond Mon 12-Aug-19 11:43:05

Depressing, Birdsfoot. I had thought use of anecdotes in parliamentary debate was to try and push emotive responses/a rhetorical technique. Bit horrifying to think it might be the only thing they're aware of ...

nextdoorisin Mon 12-Aug-19 13:02:24

Do you have to be in Scotland to fill this in? I'm in England but have been considering a move to Scotland.

Birdsfoottrefoil Mon 12-Aug-19 22:44:46

nextdoorisin there isn’t anything to ‘fill in’ - just email (no more than 4 A4 sides).

AnotherAdultHumanFemale Tue 13-Aug-19 00:43:50

Bump

nextdoorisin Tue 13-Aug-19 16:05:30

Thanks Birdsfoot I'm not very confident at writing but I'll give it a go. The more responses the better, I would hope.

Birdsfoottrefoil Tue 13-Aug-19 23:40:43

Me neither Nextdoorisin and some posters on here are so good at putting together their arguments but I don’t think we need to be great wordsmiths, we just need to flag up concerns.

ScrimshawTheSecond Thu 15-Aug-19 12:29:19

reminding self to do this bump

NonnyMouse1337 Wed 21-Aug-19 07:08:03

Deadline is this Friday!!

ScrimshawTheSecond Wed 21-Aug-19 12:10:51

argh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »