Talk

Advanced search

Oxfam: Deputy resigns over sex claims amid crisis talks

(11 Posts)
PinkChestnut Mon 12-Feb-18 19:48:59

So Penny Lawrence, the female deputy chief executive of Oxnam has resigned over the Haiti and "taken full responsibility" for the men who used prostitutes in the crisis they were supposed to be providing help to. Cos obviously it had nothing to do with the men exploiting the situation and sticking their penises in vulnerable women. It wasn't their responsibility the poor dears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43027631

TERFousBreakdown Mon 12-Feb-18 19:51:26

Wanna bet a sizeable majority of said men are not losing their jobs over this? A token few ones, maybe ...

MillyTantTerf Mon 12-Feb-18 19:53:40

My first thought on hearing this news was why was a woman forced to fall on her sword? She wasn't the one taking full advantage of children and desperate women was she?

I will never support Oxfam in any way ever again. Strangely I've been receiving a large amount of begging letters and emails just recently. Worried guys are you? About to lose your cushy jobs, large payments, worldwide travel and the opportunity to stick your penis into anything you fancy just because she's young and poor and helpless.

I hope there is a Hell.

PinkChestnut Mon 12-Feb-18 20:02:17

Makes me so mad. The guys who were involved should have their photos in the press. Named and shamed and all that AND lose their jobs. Not this scapegoat woman.

Bet they're not even sorry.

WeAreGerbil Mon 12-Feb-18 20:27:43

Yeah I thought that, if it's something endemic one woman on her own isn't going to be able to sort it out. I was trying to find out who CEO was at the time but got overwhelmed by Google! I would say the solution to this issue is don't employ men....

TallulahWaitingInTheRain Mon 12-Feb-18 21:44:47

ARRGH! Fucking scapegoat a woman, that'll send a message to all the rapists and child abusers and traffickers that they can't get away with this shit

Or actually, what about some prosecutions for the actual fucking perpetrators and some job losses for the politicians who continued to nod through the funding knowing this was going on

I'm speechless angry

WeAreGerbil Tue 13-Feb-18 10:21:09

Although The Times reported this morning she was involved in the decision to just let the country director or whatever he was called go quietly so I am perhaps a bit less bothered by it.

Everyonematters Tue 13-Feb-18 10:30:49

Yes, what Wearegerbil said. I initially was suspicious but actually she was involved.

TallulahWaitingInTheRain Tue 13-Feb-18 11:40:47

I'm not angry that she lost her job. I'm angry that that was considered an adequate response. If you were a male ngo / un worker with a penchant for sexual exploitation in a context where this is the norm, would you really consider this response to be a convincing deterrent?

stoneagefertilitydoll Tue 13-Feb-18 11:52:41

I'm curious as to why it's so often quotes from women, and women being spokespeople here - in any other news story we're lucky if 50% of the people spoken to are women, but suddenly, when it's about the atrocious behaviour of men (and lets face it, anyone who's ever been an expat knows this goes on), suddenly they're all shrinking violets and it's the women who get to speak.

Personally I think it's good that people are stepping down over this, whatever their sex, but I'm bloody angry that yet again, the problem isn't being yelled from the rooftops, and women are pushed forward to pour oil on troubled waters.

PinkChestnut Tue 13-Feb-18 12:03:10

I agree @stoneagefertilitydoll

The whole thing is just very depressing. If men supposedly in a caring charity see this behaviour as OK what hope is there for others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now