Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

'Inquest into death of transgender woman found dead in her cell at men's prison'

(13 Posts)
pisacake Mon 30-Oct-17 20:39:26

The article begins

"An inquest into the death of a transgender woman found dead in her cell at a men’s prison will begin in December."

"It is thought that the authorities knew Ms Swift was transgender at the time she was remanded to HMP Doncaster."

It is further claimed

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/transgender-inmates-death-been-caused-12412256

"A close friend of a transgender woman who died in a men’s jail claimed her death may have been influenced by a failure to receive medication behind bars.

Jenny Swift was found dead in her HMP Doncaster cell on December 30, sparking an investigation by the prisons watchdog.

A friend of the Seaforth attempted murder suspect today told the ECHO she feared Jenny’s death had been as a result of an apparent failure to continue hormone treatment."

"Swift was charged as Jonathan, her previous name, and remanded at men’s Category B prison HMP Doncaster following her arrest. She is thought to have requested a place in a woman’s institution.

No explanation has been provided over the decision-making process that led Swift to be placed in a men’s jail.

Official guidelines imply prisoners should be placed in jails that reflect their gender as recognised by the law.

But tragically, new guidelines came into effect on January 1 - just two days after Swift’s death - that suggested more weight should be given to an inmate’s wishes on where in the prison system they should be sent."

I can't see to much tragic about this person's death tbh.

"A close friend, who wished to remain anonymous, today explained Swift had been on female hormones for three years at the time of her arrest and alleged she had struggled to get them once in prison.

She claimed this came despite attempts to explain Swift’s circumstances and how vital it was that she continue to receive her medication.

The friend, from Merseyside, said: “She went in and she was left with no hope. I rung the jail myself to explain the situation to them.

“I spoke to her before this happened and she said she could feel the testosterone running through her body. At the end of the day she would still be here if she had those hormones.”"

They somehow fail to explain that these 'medications' were not prescribed by a doctor.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-41671870

There is further no mention of the fact that the witness to the killing said:

Mr Kirkham said he heard [the victim] and Swift shouting at each other.
"I looked in to the kitchen and saw Swifty with his back to me...he was calling Eric a grass," he said
"I told him to pack it in and Swifty reached behind him and picked up a knife.
"I shouted 'Swifty, stop'. He just turned towards me and looked at me. It was one of the most evil looks I've ever seen. I knew that when he had finished with Eric he would come for me so I ran out the back door."

There is no explanation of how the witness appears to know the killer as 'he' yet the Liverpool Echo is swallowing the line that 'she' just needed 'her' (non-prescription - why not give him some crack to go with it, seems he was just as dependent on that as the female hormones) medication.

Naturally there was a protest.

And the sad (ahem?) thing about the whole story?

"Official guidelines imply prisoners should be placed in jails that reflect their gender as recognised by the law.

But tragically, new guidelines came into effect on January 1 - just two days after Swift’s death - that suggested more weight should be given to an inmate’s wishes on where in the prison system they should be sent."

So had he committed this violent killing that

"one medic described as 'the worst stabbing I've seen during my time with the ambulance service'."

just a few days later, he could perhaps have gone to women's prison instead. Because obviously the major injustice here is that a crackhead violent psycho former soldier taking hormones without prescription couldn't just go into a women's prison as he pleased.

But not to worry, "No Prisons Manchester, Action for Trans Health and the Queer Agenda Sheffield" organised a protest www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/protest-over-jenny-swifts-death-12492583 to ensure that in future violent crackhead psycho ex-killers can be with the women, because that's only fair.

ALittleBitOfButter Tue 31-Oct-17 10:02:01

Excellent analysis pisa. How infuriating that it was reported with such a slant, and no consideration for incarcerated females.

HornyTortoise Tue 31-Oct-17 10:34:18

Because obviously the major injustice here is that a crackhead violent psycho former soldier taking hormones without prescription couldn't just go into a women's prison as he pleased.

Mental, absolutely mental.

I don;t understand why anyone would think that taking hormones that were not prescribed, should entitle you to a prescription in jail. And just cannot get my head arounf male people being put in with vulnerable females.

I do think if more people were aware that this is happening (currently happening, not something that MIGHT happen) there would be a huge pushback as surely everyone can see how dangerous this is. I know people tend to not have much sympathy for prisoners..but surely they can still see that putting males in with females is fucking wrong...

Blanchefleur Tue 31-Oct-17 10:52:15

The groups say that sending trans prisoners to the “wrong gender facilities” causes “extreme psychological distress and loss of dignity, as well as putting them at risk of violence by other prisoners”.

It obviously doesn't matter that sending male prisoners to women's prisons causes the female inmates exactly the same extreme psychological distress and loss of dignity, as well as putting them at risk of violence from the male prisoners.

Why can't they see this? Or do they see this and just not care?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 31-Oct-17 11:07:12

It has to be the case that they count women as less than men. I can't think of any other explanation.
Will we see an inquiry when a woman kills herself in prison because she is a rape survivor and the extra stress of being locked up with a violent man is more than she can handle? I very much doubt it.

pisacake Tue 31-Oct-17 12:38:57

It's odd, there are 100+ suicides per year in prison, nobody really gives a shit, but when it's a transgender murderer/rapist suddenly it's tragedy of the century.

Elendon Tue 31-Oct-17 13:06:11

Most of those who commit suicide in prison, and it's mostly men who do it, do so because of mental health issues.

Not getting HRT is not a sequelae to committing suicide.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 31-Oct-17 20:45:25

At the time of the attack and murder Swift was referred to in all the newspaper reports as "he" and as Jonathan Swift.

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/seaforth-suspect-could-face-murder-12345778

His victim , Eric Flanagan was only 26 and the father of 2 children.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 31-Oct-17 20:55:47

I think Eric Flanagan deserves a mention. His death is the real tragedy.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Flanagan's mother, Carol Flanagan, said of her son: 'I would describe him as a bit of a soft touch, who would do anything for anyone

'He was not in the least bit prone to violence, which makes the manner of his death all the more shocking.'

'He loved music and dancing and had a great sense of humour. Despite his difficulties, there was always a sense that all he needed was to find a focus and his full potential would be realised.'

TheSmallClangerWhistlesAgain Wed 01-Nov-17 07:59:23

It strikes me how much the "Queer Agenda" commenters minimise Swift's actions. They imply that Swift was only a suspect, when the CPS's take on it seems to be that Swift was the only person sought in connection with the killing - the uncertainty was about intent and which charges to bring for the most effective prosecution.

pisacake Wed 01-Nov-17 09:42:31

Yes some of the 'tragic suicides' don't seem all that tragic.

1. We have Jonathan Swift - brutal murderer, known as 'he' and 'Jonathan' to witness, becomes Jenny and 'she' later.
2. Edward Latham - tried to murder a woman with mercury in 2001, tried to murder a prisoner at HMP Frankland in 2007, then tried to murder a man at Rampton psychiatric unit in 2011. Became Joanne Latham at some point in 2015, committing suicide in that year, thus cause celebre, despite apparently not even being clearly trans (more clearly mentally ill)

"the court heard that she changed her name to Eddie Latham by deed poll earlier in 2015.
Coroner Tom Osborne asked prison officer Debbie Glyde whether the inmate had serious intentions to change gender. She replied that she "could not say because he went through phases"

It is not clear why he is referred to as 'she' www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-35037388
3. Vikki/Vicky Thompson - massive cause celebre, in NOT being a total psycho. Unanimously found by inquest jury to have been in the correct prison, not wanting to go to women's prison due to 'bitchy' women, was found NOT to have intended to commit suicide, and was given some privileges as a transwoman by the prison. www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/19/jury-returns-verdict-on-transgender-woman-found-dead-in-male-prison
4. Martin Eatough - multiple rapist (of women, at knifepoint). Became 'Jade Eatough' only in prison.
5. Lisa Woodhall - mentally disturbed transwoman in a FEMALE prison (HMP Send and HMP Eastwood Park). Complained of transphobic bullying by other inmates.' The jury recorded that Ms Woodhall perceived her treatment at the prison as "inadequate and dismissive", but found that the level of care was in reality "good".' news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7342960.stm
6. Nicola Cope (formerly Gordon Cope) - paedophile rapist, groomed and raped two girls starting from the age of 4 and 7 over a 16 year period. theukdatabase.com/2015/05/28/nicola-gordon-cope-atherstone/ Sex change 7 years prior to conviction, committed suicide in HMP Foston Hall, a FEMALE prison.
7. Prisoner X - www.ppo.gov.uk/app/uploads/2014/07/H058-12-death-of-a-female-prisoner-fullsutton-12-07-2012-SID-41-50.pdf Convicted of rape and sexual assault of a minor in 1991. Raped fellow prisoner in 1996. Began to live as a woman in October 2011 in prison. Committed suicide immediately following an accusation of sexual assault by a fellow prisoner.
8. Senthooran/Nina Kanagasingham - killed David Burgess, also known as a Sonia Burgess, a renowned lawyer, by pushing him under a tube train. www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/dec/22/man-pushed-solicitor-under-tube-train-jailed Asked to be tried as a man, and no apparent issues relating to his gender status in prison. Found to suffer from psychotic episodes, isolated. www.ppo.gov.uk/app/uploads/2015/03/J008-13-Death-of-a-male-prisoner-Belmarsh-08-04-2013-SID-31-401.pdf

Ereshkigal Wed 01-Nov-17 09:43:20

I agree Lass. Eric is the victim.

Mantegnaria Wed 01-Nov-17 10:12:49

Pretty clear that Mr Swift was a man and a horrible murderer.

He was also clearly pretty distressed and it is always sad when anyone commits suicide.

However, I think that the bulk of most people's sympathy will mainly be directed towards his victim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now