Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fake stats - transgender life expectancy

(9 Posts)
pisacake Thu 26-Oct-17 02:20:02

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_woman#Violence_towards_trans_women

"Trans women are often faced with discrimination in the form of violence. In 2016, 22 transgender people were killed in the United States due to fatal violence, the most ever recorded in one year. Many[specify] of these cases found their deaths to be direct results of an anti-transgenderism bias.[18] Furthermore, in 2009, 11% of all hate crimes towards members of the LGBTQ community were directed towards trans women.[19] Due in part to this anti-transgenderism bias, including homicide and suicide risks, the life expectancy of a trans woman of color is only 35 years old, whereas the average life expectancy in the United States is over 78 years old.[20]"

This is cited to [20] Pittman, Trav. "Four Years to Live: On Violence Against Trans Women of Color." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 24 Nov. 2015. Web. 21 Apr. 2017

However, strangely they don't link to the article, which is easily found:

www.huffingtonpost.com/trav-pittman/trans-woman-of-color-4-years-to-live_b_8637038.html

"The statistic said the average life expectancy for a trans woman of color is 35. As an otherwise healthy TWOC who turned 31 this year, this tragicomic countdown to my imminent death at least warranted further investigation.

It took some poking until I found the statistic’s apparent source — this study of 594 LGBT murders in the Americas (as in North and South and the Caribbean) from a 15-month period starting in January 2013. Nearly half of the victims were trans women of color, and the life-expectancy statistic was an apparent extrapolation of that data."

So this IMMEDIATELY contradicts the claim in the Wikipedia article, which refers to 'the United States', as opposed to 'the Americas'.

This links here:

www.oas.org/en/iachr/lgtbi/docs/Annex-Registry-Violence-LGBTI.pdf

where it says

" In this regard, the IACHR has received information that the life expectancy of trans women in the Americas is between 30 and 35 years of age. The Inter-American Commission is particularly concerned about the young age of trans victims. According to the data collected, approximately 80% of trans persons killed were 35 years of age or younger"

So it 'has received information' yet does not reveal the source of the information. And the 80% of trans persons killed being 35 years of age or younger is not particularly surprising. Most homicide victims of all categories are under 35.

It however does not tell you anything about life expectancy - it's possible for 100% of homicide victims to be under 35 yet life expectancy to be healthy.

The Huffington Post quotes the same report today:

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/uruguay-senator-michelle-suarez_us_59f0ee5ee4b043885914e39e in quoting the new transgender Senator in Uruguay

"Michelle Suarez, Uruguay’s first transgender senator, is already considered elderly. She has made it to 34 - a rarity in a country where transgender people tend to die young.

“In Uruguay, a citizen has a life expectancy of more than 70 years but trans women have a life expectancy of 35"

Pink News directly claims that because most transgender murder victims are under 35, therefore the life expectancy of transgender people is 35. www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/12/09/the-average-latin-american-trans-woman-will-die-before-turning-35/

It's claimed here that is a specific problem in Brazil where trans people are murdered, and a group there claims a life expectancy of 30. www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/04/brazil-targeting-trans-people-impunity-150413210248222.html However that figure doesn't appear necessarily to be based on any solid fact. However clearly if there is an epidemic of transphobia in Brazil (and that seems to be the case), it isn't particularly useful to quote (fake?) stats from there for other countries.

Gingernaut Thu 26-Oct-17 03:10:26

This from Fair Play for Women

fairplayforwomen.com/trans-murder-rates

This is also from Fair Play for Women - about violent transwomen offenders who, strangely, have the same offending rate as men....

fairplayforwomen.com/transgender-violence-never-happens

SporadicSpartacus Thu 26-Oct-17 07:16:12

Has anyone tried comparing the average age of BAME female murder victims with this? Or females generally? Or males?

nauticant Thu 26-Oct-17 08:36:58

As you can see from the fairplayforwomen article, the murder rate in Central and South America is nearly 12 times higher than that in North America. You can see why someone who wants to mislead would mix these two stats together.

There's a clear need for proper studies to produce reliable evidence. But anyone or any institution who would be motivated to do this would just see hideous reputational risk.

Ereshkigal Thu 26-Oct-17 11:08:27

As far as I am aware (haven't got a link though but someone explained it to me once) some of those misleading life expectancy figures may have been taken from a sample of HIV positive trans prostitutes in Brazil. I think they are conflating two different issues. There are many many TW in Brazil. Although the murder rate is very high (for everyone) they don't all get murdered. But most are prostitutes.

pisacake Thu 26-Oct-17 11:42:47

One stat I read suggested there are around a million transwomen in Brazil

There were 14,000 AIDS-related deaths in 2016 for ALL Brazil. www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/latin-america/brazil

Even if ALL of the AIDS deaths were of transwomen, it still doesn't add up to a life expectancy of 35. And the murder rate doesn't either.,

Ereshkigal Thu 26-Oct-17 13:14:46

I think the sample was allegedly extrapolated to the rest of the population in the same way as Mermaids' made out a survey of 27 trans people meant that 48% of all trans people have attempted suicide.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 26-Oct-17 14:57:42

TBF I'd guess that a transgender individuals life is shorter - I'm pretty sure long term use of cross sex hormones isn't great for you.

Gingernaut Thu 26-Oct-17 15:07:31

I suspect a lot of transwomen who get killed, are as mentally fucked up as we've been saying they are all along and are seeking attention from 'people' heterosexual men who are not in the market for 'lady dick'.

Add a few 'queer bashers', the effects of all the drugs they have to take and who knows?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now