Talk

Advanced search

Museum of Transology

(8 Posts)
ThisIsNotARealAvo Mon 23-Oct-17 21:36:36

I'm in Brighton for a couple of days and there's an exhibition on called the museum of transology. It's s collection of artefacts from people's experiences of transition. I'm planning to have a look tomorrow if I can didn't have the kids for an hour.

I was wondering if anyone has been there and what you thought? Like many in MN I am massively skeptical of self identification and men entering women's spaces.

From what I can see on the website and a quick google, many of the artefacts are from transmen, whereas much of the discussion in the media and controversial figures are transwomen, or sometimes men.

I'm rambling a bit here but would love to hear anyone's experiences of the exhibition and I can let people know tomorrow what it was like if anyone is interested.

Knusper Mon 23-Oct-17 22:08:52

I'd be interested! Please do report back and thank you for offering to do so smile

AnotherQuoll Tue 24-Oct-17 02:50:19

Yes, OP, I'd be really interested to hear about it. Enjoy your visit!

ThisIsNotARealAvo Wed 25-Oct-17 09:20:01

It was quite a small exhibition and it was made up entirely of trans people's own possessions, labelled with their comments. There were things like nhs appointment letters, work badges in deadname and new name, breast binders, breast padding and clothes, such as someone's first dress.

It was really interesting and very much highlighted how long it takes to get an nhs appointment, what lengths trans people have to go to to get the body they want and information about the trans community in Brighton.

Some of it was on the sensationalist side - one person kept everything from the surgery that removed their breasts, including the tissue that was removed, so the two breasts are on display in jars.

It didn't change any of my opinions on trans issues really though.

Knusper Wed 25-Oct-17 22:24:23

Interesting. Thank you for reporting back OP!

Knusper Wed 25-Oct-17 22:25:11

Breasts in jars. Not sure about that though. Rather sad to display healthy body parts that were removed.

AnotherQuoll Thu 26-Oct-17 21:33:56

Thanks, Avo. Was it mostly contemporary, or were there also vintage (or even antique) items on display?

IsHalfTermOverYet Fri 27-Oct-17 11:58:47

I went to this a few weeks ago on a visit to Brighton I thought it was awful. I was surprised that it was allowed in such a family-friendly museum, with just a tiny sign warning parents it might not be suitable for kids. It certainly wasn't suitable. Words fail me to be honest. A gruesome glorification of the painful medical process of transitioning. Blood-stained hospital memorabilia and chopped off breasts in pickling jars - how is this going to help people appreciate the experiences of trans people? Displaying breast binders and prosthetic penises and amputated body parts certainly didn't teach me anything positive. I came away thinking I had been in a display of how to self-harm. I cannot imagine how somebody who had had a mastectomy due to cancer would feel to see those breasts in a jar. I would have complained about it to the museum if I'd had more time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now