Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

NSPCC have cancelled a debate on supporting trans children.....

(25 Posts)
BertrandRussell Thu 13-Oct-16 13:26:07

Here is their statement.
"13 OCTOBER 2016 / News
Dare to Debate
Is society letting down trans children? will no longer take place

Our Dare to Debate seminars are designed to provoke debate about serious issues facing children today – child protection issues that might not otherwise get the focus that they deserve.

The next debate in the series was intended to shine a light on the difficulties and problems that trans children face in the UK, to ask whether society is doing enough to help them and discuss what more can and should be done.

Children and young people are increasingly raising concerns about trans issues and gender dysphoria. Many trans children have felt that they aren't getting the support that they need and we wanted to explore how these young people could be more supported within our communities.

However, the trans community have raised concerns and told us that they don't support the NSPCC hosting this discussion. We have listened, and following the withdrawal of a keynote speaker, we are no longer hosting this event.

Anyone worried about a child can call the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000, 24 hours a day. And children who need help with trans, or any other issues, can call Childline on 0800 1111.
Transgender identity
Transgender describes people who feel that the sex they were assigned at birth doesn't match how they feel inside. Childline's here to give you help and support if you ever need it.
Visit the Childline website"

Words fail me.

WilliamHerschel Thu 13-Oct-16 13:44:22

It is really shit. I wish they had not caved.

NauticalDisaster Thu 13-Oct-16 13:44:56

I just checked out their twitter feed, they've been taking a bashing with regards to the speakers, Kellie Maloney (WTF) and Sarah Ditum.

NauticalDisaster Thu 13-Oct-16 13:48:16

I think it is an important conversation, not necessarily a debate, but KM was an odd choice for the NSPCC.

NNChangeAgain Thu 13-Oct-16 13:49:18

I've been following the debate on this, but in not really clear what the issue is/was?

As far as I can work out, both speakers were trans-activists, yet the wider pro-trans community feel they are unsuitable as speakers at a conference about support for trans-children confused is that right?

BertrandRussell Thu 13-Oct-16 13:52:04

The trans community really don't like Sarah Ditum.

NauticalDisaster Thu 13-Oct-16 13:53:11

KM transitioned over 60, has a history of DV and is an odd choice to represent trans kids or be at a NSPCC event.

Sarah Ditum is gender critical and is not much liked in trans-activist circles.

aginghippy Thu 13-Oct-16 13:57:58

When they say 'the trans community have raised concerns and told us that they don't support the NSPCC hosting this discussion', who is this trans community they are referring to?

YetAnotherSpartacus Thu 13-Oct-16 14:18:46

I can't figure out which speaker pulled out?

But this is typical transactivist bullshit. They are scared of debate and reasoned argument so they 'raise concerns' and of course the organisation that should protecting children rolls over.

I think we should all write and complain and tell them that debate is needed to stop the lunacy.

NauticalDisaster Thu 13-Oct-16 14:24:12

It was KM who pulled out, most likely due to pressure from the community.

aginghippy from Twitter it seems they were inundated with tweets, PMs, and emails against the debate.

ThatStewie Thu 13-Oct-16 14:27:09

KM was an utterly stupid choice for the NSPCC. A children's charity promoting someone who nearly killed their ex-partner? There's a reason they aren't well respected and it's this: headlines over sense.

There most definitely should be a debate but not one that considers domestic violence insignificant compared to celebrity.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 13-Oct-16 14:30:05

who is this trans community they are referring to?

Keyboard warriors on twitter

YetAnotherSpartacus Thu 13-Oct-16 14:41:14

Thank you, ND!

I completely agree that KM was a poor choice of speaker.

TBH I think that the debate would have been better staged between professionals engaged in delivering services to trans and gender questioning young people. That way some of the real issues in terms of treatment could be explored (and this seems to be what NSPCC wanted). That's if you could find a professional who isn't bound up in the trans narrative brave enough to stand up and be counted.

ThatStewie Thu 13-Oct-16 14:47:21

It's difficult to find any professional with gender non-conforming kids who is even slightly critical of the dopes at which we're transmit & sterilising young people. Those who have have been pushed out of their jobs (case in Canada worth looking up). Very few want to talk about homophobia in the parents.

There are a limited number of people willing to be put in the position of an onslaught of abuse and threats.

ageingrunner Thu 13-Oct-16 14:49:28

Obviously it was never going to happen because the trans lobby didn't want it to. I feel that the objections raised against KM were probably not as heartfelt as those against SD - they really didn't want her to have a chance to take part.

YetAnotherSpartacus Thu 13-Oct-16 14:55:33

I know Stewie. I'm one of them in a vague sort of way. I wrote about this in a thread a few days ago called trans in children's and young people's services.

TiggyD Thu 13-Oct-16 14:57:54

The debate was billed as "is society letting down trans children?". It was felt that, with the speakers advertised, that the debate would become more "Does trans exist?". It was also felt that Kellie Maloney was not the best placed people to talk on trans children's issues.

Xenophile Thu 13-Oct-16 15:12:55

It was felt that, with the speakers advertised, that the debate would become more "Does trans exist?"

Just because Maloney has shown extreme violence toward their ex wife in front of their children, doesn't mean that they might suggest that trans doesn't exist. Or were you trying to imply that Sarah Ditum might say that, because that would be a bit of a departure for her. Given that that isn't what she says at all.

There are some fucking stupid lies about SD advocating "conversion therapy" which is false. The only people who wish to convert children into something else are trans activists.

So strange to see such malignant homophobia in people who wish to see children medicated, often irreparably, when research doesn't support that position.

YetAnotherSpartacus Thu 13-Oct-16 15:14:45

Yeah ... I guess my perspective is pretty much that people do jump to the conclusion that trans exists and thus frame the question as 'how can we help trans kids' rather than 'how can we help kids who are confused about their identities'. I think we need to ask the second question a lot more and we need to ask it first, before we consider 'trans'. This is not to say that trans does not exist, but simply that we can best help trans kids, in my view, by not automatically assuming they are trans. Perhaps a debate is the wrong way to approach this. A panel discussion may be better and move people away from polarised views.

mouldycheesefan Thu 13-Oct-16 15:18:38

Nspcc have more important things to be doing. If they get involved in all this trans nonsense I will be cancelling my direct debit to them. They are a society supposedly addressing cruelty issues.

IndominusRex Thu 13-Oct-16 16:00:37

I used to work, briefly, for NSPCC. None of this surprises me.

0phelia Thu 13-Oct-16 17:45:00

It smacks of "No platforming" silencing and continuing of trans tirade ideology with no questions asked.

ageingrunner Thu 13-Oct-16 22:04:22

The trans lobby would shut down any discussion of any type that is perceived to have any possibility at all of being even slightly critical of transing children. It's absolutely wrong and frightening that society is letting these people set the agenda.

numberseven Fri 14-Oct-16 10:09:43

Feminist Current reports that there was a petition - not against the Maloney the wife beater but against Ditum.

A petition against the debate (erroneously) claims Ditum “actively campaigns against supporting trans children with anything but conversion therapy.”

FreshwaterSelkie Fri 14-Oct-16 12:14:06

the petition does say that Kellie Maloney is also unsuitable due to the domestic abuse. However, that said, the vast majority of signees are protesting against Sarah Ditum as a "transphobe".

Sarah writes compassionately about how we can best help gender non conforming children. She questions how best to do that, and for that, she is vilified. She is accused of wanting "conversion therapy", on children, which is mad bonkers, because what she is suggesting is that the focus should be on helping the child to feel comfortable and happy in the body and the society that they're in, rather than setting them off on a lifetime of medicalisation, given that the majority of GNC children are not trans, and will grow out of or accept their GNC as being part of their sexuality (ie, that they are lesbian or gay). It's the opposite of conversion therapy.

But we may not debate this. It has become unsayable. Up is down, black is white, Kellie Maloney was always a woman, and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now