Talk

Advanced search

Diary of an Ordinary Woman by Margaret Forster

(9 Posts)
shandyleer Tue 07-Jul-09 18:34:09

Has anyone read this? I've only just started it but am loving it. If you like books like Nella Last's War and Diary of a Provincial Lady etc, I think you'd enjoy this. The diaries begin in 1914 and carry on for most of her life (not quite sure what year they go up to). It is a novel, but heavily based on some diaries of a lady called Millicent King.

saadia Tue 07-Jul-09 18:42:09

I read this and got really engrossed and thought how amazing that it's all true and then MN set me straight - tis all fiction, that bit at the beginning is also fiction, but all done very convincingly.

shandyleer Tue 07-Jul-09 19:31:16

Oh is it really? So there was no Millicent King? That's a shame, but now that you come to mention it, I didn't like the tone of that bit at the beginning. I'm still enjoying reading "the diaries" though.

KingRolo Tue 07-Jul-09 19:39:54

Yes, it's all fictional but I read most of it without realising too.

I enjoyed this book very much and I don't usually like Margaret Forster. The bit where Millicent's sister, brother in law and two of the children are killed in the Blitz is heart rending.

KingRolo Tue 07-Jul-09 20:03:18

Oh, sorry, you've only just started it shandyleer. blush

<skulks away quietly>

littlerach Tue 07-Jul-09 20:11:20

I love all of her books smile

Good Lives and Hidden Lives also v good.

KingRolo Tue 07-Jul-09 20:15:15

If anyone is interested, 'Stand We At Last' by Zoe Fairbains is in a similar vein to 'Ordinary Woman' but tells the story of several different women, linked by family or marriage, through the 20th century. I found it fascinating.

CMOTdibbler Tue 07-Jul-09 20:20:25

I really enjoyed it - I think she writes best about ordinary people

shandyleer Sun 12-Jul-09 14:55:23

I've finished this now - very disappointing ending I thought , and didn't like niece Connie at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now