Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stephen King - 'IT', really scary book

(87 Posts)
perceptionreality Thu 13-Sep-12 10:00:20

I thought the film was really silly and not at all frightening - the clown was almost comical.

I decided to read the book (don't usually read horror) and it's really got to me and given me nightmares!

Callisto Thu 13-Sep-12 12:00:51

'It' is very scary, Pennywise is one of the nastiest, most chilling characters in literature imo and SK breaks a taboo when he kills off the younger brother right at the start of the book (as I recall - the boy follows his toy boat to the sewers?) which really sets the scene. But Stephen Kings's books almost never translate well to the big screen. The characters express themselves so much through internalised thought rather than speech or action.

Have you read Gerald's Game? It is about a couple who go off to their cabin off-season to revive their marraige/sex life. Gerald (the husband) gets out the handcuffs and handcuffs his wife to the bed, he then keels over and dies (she kicks him in the nads because he is so repulsive). What follows is the story of how she gets herself free. It is a very good story, very disturbing in places, but I would say impossible to make a film out of as you see everything through the wife's eyes.

perceptionreality Thu 13-Sep-12 19:33:38

No, I haven't - this is the first SK book I have read. I had heard The Stand is also very good?

FrustratedSycamorePants Thu 13-Sep-12 19:37:02

Tommy knockers and pet cemetery are creapy and really good to read.

'The Stand' is excellent.

I like 'It' a lot apart from that silly bit with Bill and his wife. I agree it's one of King's scarier ones and that the murder of the little boy (is it Denny?) is a horrible but great opening. And the bit with the gay man is v distressing.

I don't like 'Gerald's Game' - I think it's one of the worse things he's written.

In terms of film, 'Misery' and 'The Dead Zone' both work well imho.

LemarchandsBox Thu 13-Sep-12 19:40:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2girls2dogs Thu 13-Sep-12 19:41:40

Oh, pet semetary is the scariest, most vile book i have ever read and could never read this post children. I think stephen king either writes fantastic books or really shite books! I agree with those who say the films never translate well.

I haven't read "it" and i don't think i could - the film was just awful (scary and upsetting).

Oh and cujo, in the film the little boy survives, and in the book he doesn't , i had seen the film first so wasn't expecting that, i was devestated sad

Chopstheduck Thu 13-Sep-12 19:41:42

It the film was bad. I think some of the others mentioned have worked though.

My favourite book of his is needful things, and I also like Hearts in Atlantis a lot. I like the psychological ones.

2girls2dogs Thu 13-Sep-12 19:44:05

I find it hard to get my head around the fact that "the shawshank redemption" was based on a stephen king short story.

I think he is a good writer, his books read well, but i grew tired of the apocalyptic endings, often involving some sort of alien life force. Wasn't "it" a giant alien spider in the end?

Pennywise is the embodiment of the evil of Derry, isn't he? The town itself has something 'wrong' with it and Pennywise is an aspect of that - the town has created various evils itself and attracts evil to it. Or am I over-thinking it?

I detest 'Needful Things.' I think 'The Tommyknockers' 'Gerald's Game' and 'Needful Things' are by far his worst. 'Needful Things' is trite and sex-obsessed and 'Gerald's Game' just gets sillier and sillier as the evil geezer in the corner arrives.

I read 'Cujo' before I saw the film and was cross that they'd changed the ending in the film. Yes, it 'feels better', but the book is more powerful because it 'feels worse' I think.

FrustratedSycamorePants Thu 13-Sep-12 19:48:02

IT was given many 'faces' to make it more palatable, it wasn't necessarily actually physical.

Agnesinroom25 Thu 13-Sep-12 19:50:48

The little brother is George sad. I love SK can read them over and over again apart from The Shining now that really frightens me.

LemarchandsBox Thu 13-Sep-12 19:51:06

maddiemostmerry Thu 13-Sep-12 19:51:45

The Stand is my favourite. I think it was made into a mini series and didn't work due to the lack of depth given to the characters.

Agnesinroom25 Thu 13-Sep-12 19:52:39

He almost didn't publish Pet Semetary as he said even he thought he had gone too far this time.

Handsfulloffun Thu 13-Sep-12 19:53:00

I love IT, The Stand is excellent as is Misery.

Agnesinroom25 Thu 13-Sep-12 19:53:50

Misery was a terrible film but the book is very good.

iklboo Thu 13-Sep-12 19:54:20

Every time I hear 'Für Elise' I think 'Mrs Denbrough was playing that when George was killed'. Not that I've read the book much blush

LemarchandsBox Thu 13-Sep-12 19:54:54

CelstialNavigation Thu 13-Sep-12 19:55:33

The Shawshank Redemption wasn't just based on the novella though, the film was the closest book-to-movie adaptation I've ever seen. And Stand By Me (from another novella from the same book) is just a lovely teen movie/book, I can never decide if the book or the movie is better. River Phoenix and Wil Wheaton just made the movie with their acting. I can never reconcile Wil Wheaton in the movie with him in The Big Bang Theory now!

I re-read 'Pet Semetary' a couple of weeks ago. It's fun but it's not really scary and it gets a bit daft at the end with all that failing to learn from his mistakes stuff going on. I really like the old man though.

Who is Denny then? I'm sure he's a SK child because I used to want to name a little boy it! Think, Remus, think...

LemarchandsBox Thu 13-Sep-12 19:55:57

solidgoldbrass Thu 13-Sep-12 19:56:12

I like most of his books, though got bored with both Needful Things and TOmmyknockers.
It scared me green when I first read it about 25 years ago.

CakeBump Thu 13-Sep-12 19:56:16

IT is the scariest book I've ever read, it definitely gave me nightmares - I was about 15 when I read it and wouldn't pick it up again!

It was great though, and I really like the way SK can write in layers; there is what's happening and what the character is actually saying, then you have the character's thoughts, but also then the subconscious. Its very clever but like others have said, it can't translate into the big screen....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now