Talk

Advanced search

The shining, do I keep going?

(15 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sat 22-Oct-11 16:21:45

am really struggling with this and not sure if it's worth carrying on. Have got as far as them being at the hotel now and theyve been shown where everything is. But finding it really tedious.

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Sat 22-Oct-11 16:24:00

Oh do keep going. It is worth it. I found the film really hard going, but the book less so.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 22-Oct-11 16:26:13

I've not seen the film.

I read some Stephen king as a teen, pet cemetery, It and found them easy reads but this is really hard going. It's taken me since aug to get this far!

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Sat 22-Oct-11 16:28:44

Really? I read a load of SK as a teen too, and a few years ago i wet back to them, starting with Carrie and following on, and absolutely loved them all. Found a whole new appreciation for them.

The only SK ones i can't get on with are the Dark Towers sci-fi thingys. Can't abide the.

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Sat 22-Oct-11 16:29:03

*them

BlowHole Sat 22-Oct-11 16:32:43

Stephen King does tend to go into a lot of unnecessary detail imo, but the shining is one of his better books. The film is great and takes some of SK's ideas and condenses them into a brilliant, brilliant film.

peeriebear Sat 22-Oct-11 16:33:18

It does help to set the scene, because the vastness of the hotel and how it feels when full of people (albeit checking-out people) throws into relief just how isolating it is to just have three people living in it.

fridakahlo Sat 22-Oct-11 16:35:00

The Shining is my absolute favourite SK book. Never manged to get through the film though, it completly missed out on really important plot elements. Hope you keep going with it.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 22-Oct-11 16:49:15

Right, am off work for next two weeks so will keep going.

wailedfig Sat 22-Oct-11 18:10:56

keep going, keep going! It's definitely worth it. I found the book about a hundred times scarier than the film, and I think it's largely because of that slow build at the start. You really need to get a sense of how big that hotel is, and how remote, and how cold...

[goes off to find The Shining paperback]

FearTricksPotter Sat 22-Oct-11 18:22:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Abcinthia Sat 22-Oct-11 19:26:20

Keep going. I struggled a bit with it in the beginning for similiar reasons but it is worth it.

redlac Sat 22-Oct-11 19:29:11

Keep going! Fab book and much better than the film and the film is a classic

PointyBlackHat Sat 22-Oct-11 20:10:04

Keep going - it really pays off to get the scene set and to get the perspective from Danny's point of view, it makes it all soooo much scarier later on.

<runs off to make sure there are no fire hoses lying around>

evilgiraffe Sun 23-Oct-11 20:46:06

I agree, wailedfig - the book gives a real sense of isolation. I found the film a real disappointment by comparison!

The Stand is my favourite Stephen King by quite some way - fabulous book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now