Talk

Advanced search

Weight Loss boot camps for teens?

(6 Posts)
Fahrted Mon 18-Jun-18 22:25:57

My DD (14) is quite severely overweight. She has always been tall and heavy. She was well over the 99th centile when she was born, and remained so through childhood - which was fine, as her weight and height were in keeping with one another. Now, though, she is over 16 stone (and is also 5 foot 10, so is still tall for her age and gender). She started binge-eating when XH and I divorced, and is evidently a comfort eater (whereas I stop eating when unhappy) - but has now got stuck in unhealthy patterns and can't seem to see a way out. When I say 'unhealthy patterns', I find endless wrappers stuffed under her bed, in her wardrobe, in her pillow cases - family packs of caramel slices, huge empty Doritos packets, 2 litre fizzy drink bottles, endless chocolate and sweets, Pringles, KFC boxes, etc, etc, etc. She has a modest monthly allowance from me, but it is not enough to fund a habit of this magnitude, so other girls are evidently either buying her food or giving her the money to buy it.

XH and I both provide healthy meals (we have never 'banned' particular foods, on the basis of 'a little bit of everything' is fine - so DD can't say that her binge-eating is a response to being deprived of anything). XH is 6' 3" and slim; the other DC, late teens, are tall and slim and always have been. I know it can help if mothers and daughters try to become healthy/lose weight together, but I am 5 foot 2, 6.5 stone, and extremely fit, so couldn't really afford to lose any weight or do anything further to increase my fitness. XH and I and the other DC eat healthily and exercise daily (not in an obsessive sort of way - just in that we all walk or cycle everywhere, swim regularly, and the other DC also play a lot of sport, just because they enjoy it). DD, though, won't do any of those things, even if they are presented as apparently 'fun' activities.

DD used to swim for miles (literally - she was in a competitive swimming team in Junior School) and play sport, but is now too self-conscious to do either. She makes excuses to evade Games at school, and says she is bullied for being fat. She suggested a 'boot camp' in summer to help her to kick start the process. We will do anything and pay anything that might help her to start - but does anyone have any advice at all?

fezzesarecool Mon 18-Jun-18 22:51:23

If she likes swimming, places with private pools do rent them out, So is this something to look into?

Sorry I know you asked about bootcamp but I don’t know about them for her age

My fitness pal is really great too. It’ll help help be aware of her calorie intake, while giving her ownership of when she can have a treat within her calorie allowance

Gymaphobics is a ladies only gym, maybe worth a look and the YMCA do fitness programs for teenagers

Slimming world might also be a good one to look at too

Hopefully someone else will be along soon with more help. It sounds like that you all do the right things in regards to health and fitness and your daughter’s really wanting to get in control of this now.

Johnnycomelately1 Tue 19-Jun-18 02:57:26

I know this sounds completely like what she doesn’t want but could she do Crossfit? It’s generally very inclusive/community focused and bigger women tend to absolutely smash the big lifts which is more empowering than the typical gym classes which are more cardio focused, and leads them to be more positive about their body and its ability.

Dyrne Tue 19-Jun-18 06:56:52

It might be worth looking into paying for some private counselling for her as well if you do have some spare cash. By asking for a boot camp, your daughter is after a quick fix and may skip back into old habits if she doesn’t address the underlying issues.

You could maybe also look into a personal trainer for her over the summer if you can’t find a boot camp.

Fahrted Tue 19-Jun-18 07:13:27

Thank you for all the replies. These are all excellent suggestions, and I will look into all of them. I've mentioned counselling to her, in the hope that we might be able to try to help with the underlying causes, but she's resistant in a teenage sort of way ("OMG, you don't seriously expect me to TALK TO ANYONE", etc, etc...). I can keep trying, though.

I did buy her a gym membership, as she promised she would go several times a week - but, needless to say, this hasn't happened (I knew it wouldn't, as she has very long school days, including Saturdays, but thought I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks again. Keep them coming, please!

Fahrted Tue 19-Jun-18 13:25:15

In the light of these suggestions, I'm going to try posting generally about ideas to help DD lose weight (or to help me to help her). I'll link to this thread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: