Talk

Advanced search

Tinned Sardines in tomatoe sauce???

(10 Posts)
kkkkatie Sun 20-Jul-08 10:50:04

my ds is now 1 and i wanted to try the above. He seems to only want to eat pasta with spinach sauce at mo so feel the need to try something new.

Any meal suggestions?

JulesJules Sun 20-Jul-08 10:52:12

My 2 dds loved this (and still do), and it's so quick, cheap and nutritious! Good with mashed potato!

NumptyMum Sun 20-Jul-08 11:28:57

I've added sardines to my own tomato sauce (made with courgettes/skinned tomatoes) and my DS seemed to enjoy it OK. I think advice is to mash sardines up first to mix in the bones. The sardines IN tomato sauce tin might have too strong a flavour, but I guess you're only going to find that out by trying it in the first place... and he might not like it first time, but be fine with it 2nd time (after he realises you WEREN'T trying to poison him with it the first time... my DS is doing this with lots of foods just now, LOL).

vesela Sun 03-Aug-08 11:58:01

I was wondering whether I could give DD (16 months) sardines - I thought there might be too much salt in them though?

The ones I have here say they have salt in, but they don't say how much.

ExterminAitch Sun 03-Aug-08 12:00:13

very good source of calcium.

vesela Sun 03-Aug-08 12:23:37

that's part of the reason I want to give them to her - she won't drink cow's milk/formula, I weaned her a month ago and two yoghurts a day don't seem to be doing her tummy any good. (One yoghurt was fine, but since I stepped it up to 2 on weaning her, she's had baaaad nappies.

What do you reckon to the salt? I know you can let up a bit after 1, but she had a kidney infection a couple of months ago, so I want to play it safe, at least till I find out whether she has scarring. I'll have to find a tin that says how much they actually have in them.

dairymoo Sun 03-Aug-08 12:31:38

Vesela <<sorry for hijack kkkatie - but in response, I have given my DTs sardines in tomato sauce from about 8 mo and they love it! grin>> - just wondering what foods you feed your DD if she doesn't get any milk.

One of my DTs is allergic to cow's and goat's milk (but can have yogurt and some goat's cheese) and I am planning to stop BF in the next few months, when thay are about 14 mo. Don't want to give hypoallergenic formula or calcium supplement so need to make sure her diet is calcium rich. Any advice much appreciated as I'm stressing about it a bit.

dairymoo Sun 03-Aug-08 12:33:09

Ooh and mashed sardines make nice sandwich fillings - or can be used with the tomato sauce with pasta/rice/cous cous.

ButterflyMcQueen Sun 03-Aug-08 12:34:26

are one of the reasons i went vegetarian

vesela Sun 03-Aug-08 12:50:52

dairymoo, I don't feel in much of a position to give you advice, since I'm also stressing about it quite a bit! When she was having one yoghurt a day she was fine (in fact it cured her earlier constipation). However, since she went from one to two yoghurts a day (plus cheese) she's had runny acidic-smelling poos that get all up her front and make me paranoid about another UTI. It only happens once a day, but enough is enough.

At the moment I'm experimenting to see if she tolerates formula (mixed into porridge etc.) any better. If not, it's off to the doctor's. They did suspect a milk intolerance when she was a tiny thing (c. 6 weeks) and I cut out dairy (myself, while BFing) for a while but she was fine when I started eating it again at c. 7 months.

Maybe we should start another thread...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now