Talk

Advanced search

Tinned mackerel and what?

(15 Posts)
WhoahThere Wed 24-Aug-11 17:22:04

I want to give dd some fish for tea and have tinned mackerel in the cupboard - what can I put it with that's not bread as she's had enough bread today?

cantmakecarrotcake Thu 25-Aug-11 11:36:30

Oat cakes?

StringOrNothing Thu 25-Aug-11 11:37:31

Mash - make mini fishcakey things.

Esian Thu 25-Aug-11 11:40:17

Mashed potato, or jacket potato- lots of lovely buttersmile

EPPP Thu 25-Aug-11 14:15:25

Tomato based pasta sauce or just passata and pasta.

Pootles2010 Thu 25-Aug-11 14:20:19

Second fishcake idea.

festi Thu 25-Aug-11 14:24:42

I wouldnt tinned makeral is full of tinny little bones I would get a nice boneless white fish from the counter. and make it with a pasta or potatoes and veg.

Haberdashery Thu 25-Aug-11 14:25:34

The bones are perfectly edible and full of calcium! They're really good for you. Fishcakes would be lovely.

festi Thu 25-Aug-11 14:29:10

Im sure they are but I would be worried about chocking for a very young child.

Iggly Thu 25-Aug-11 14:31:10

The bones squash under your thumb. You can squish them up with a fork so it becomes a paste. I gave DS fish with soft bones from 9 months like this. Things like fish fingers are more dodgy as they have proper hard bones (having nearly choked on them myself)

WorrisomeHeart Thu 25-Aug-11 14:42:42

The bones are fine. I stir it into a tomato pasta sauce and DS (10 months) absolutely loves it

WhoahThere Thu 25-Aug-11 16:27:39

Update - I mashed and mixed with yogurt and put it with pasta bows - and some peas. And it was far and away our most successful meal yet - I was thrilled with how much she ate! Rank nappy today though although I was even more pleased to note (through streaming eyes!) that there were several peas in there along with other identifiable lumps.

festi I wasn't at all concerned about the bones as they're so small and soft - would be much more worried about the possibility of a stray bone in a white fish fillet, which if you managed to miss it could cause a much more serious prob. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

cantmakecarrotcake Thu 25-Aug-11 16:51:08

How old is your DD, WhoahThere? I think that sounds like a great way of getting fish, dairy, carbs AND veg in one meal, but I'm not sure my DD would manage that yet. I might steal that idea though and try it later.

Quenelle Thu 25-Aug-11 16:56:10

Sounds nice mixed with yogurt and served with pasta.

You could also try mixing it up with cream cheese and lots of black pepper and dipping raw vegetables in it or serving it on a jacket potato.

WhoahThere Thu 25-Aug-11 17:15:26

7 months cantmakecarrotcake - only been weaning for 4 weeks so it can be hit and miss but this was brilliant! The pasta was bows by the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now