Talk

Advanced search

Butlins booking problems anybody

(16 Posts)
Bonniebabe75 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:58:24

I have just booked an Easter break for myself , five yr old son and my parents only for butlins to call me back to say they are cancelling it because we are not on the electoral register. All the adults are definitely on the register. We even have polling cards for the may elections. I offered to bring these with me or fax them and butlins won't accept this. Foreign visitors can bring id and bank statements, so again I offered to do this but this too was refused. I am really angry with them cause I have been a customer for over 35 yrs. I took the kids in February this yr and didn't have a problem. I am a premier member. I told butlins this is definitely their mistake but they don't want to know. I did tell the team leader I will complain when head office opens and she simply said "go on" I find this appalling customer service . I appreciate security measures are in place for a good reason but this is their mistake. I am now left with a distraught five yr old and a weeks Easter break to try and fill. Anyone else experienced similar problems. Does this mean we can never holiday a butlins again?i know we are on the register and can prove it but butlins say cause it doesn't show on their system we can't go.

springsheep Sun 16-Apr-17 18:10:55

How soon after booking did they ring you to cancel? May be worth a post on their Facebook page it seems very active. Good luck I hope they sort it for you.

Bonniebabe75 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:23:29

They cancelled the day after. Mum tried to book giving her name and contact details and butlins called me to cancel that booking too even though I wasn't the lead name. Team leader just recognised my name within the booking.

springsheep Sun 16-Apr-17 18:34:18

I think they check all of the adults on the booking. I would definitely try the Facebook page and also get in touch with your local council, they should be able to give you a letter confirming you're on the register.

Bad customer service, not the first time from Butlins, there was a lengthy thread on her a while back. I would be shouting loudly about this on social media.

Eminybob Sun 16-Apr-17 18:38:54

I don't get it at all. I booked Butlins last year with a non-existent at the time lead name and there were no issues. I booked in my married name as we were going after we got married, but I wasn't at the time of booking.
Is this a new thing?

KP86 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:58:04

Why would it matter if you're registered to vote?

Bonniebabe75 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:16:29

Apparently they have had issues with rival travellers in the past so checking you on the register is supposed to stamp this out. Reading the press I am not the first to be refused but I am actually on the register and so were the other two adults on the booking.

KP86 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:19:17

I still don't get it. (Sorry, might be a bit thick.)

Probably lucky we got to stay last year then because I don't think I was registered at that stage (non-Brit).

We are off in a couple of weeks to stay again, no phone calls yet. Fingers crossed!

Funnyonion17 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:23:56

I'm confused? I booked plenty of times with friends who aren't registered at my house. What are they hoping to avoid?

Eminybob Sun 16-Apr-17 21:36:41

I dont understand what you mean about rival travellers?

Funnyonion17 Sun 16-Apr-17 21:57:39

As in Gypsies! I read the article from way back, apparently two rival traveler groups and a Chinese family had a huge fight in the 90s. Talking riot police etc at Butlins.

Eminybob Sun 16-Apr-17 22:02:14

Oh ok I get it now.
So how did I manage to book my reservation last year in a non-existent name?

Bonniebabe75 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:26:00

Call centre will not back down. Offered to email our voting cards over to them, take passports, bank statements whatever they ask for, but because I'm a British national I can't do that. If I did not live in the U.K. I could provide ID. is that not discrimination. One rule for one and another for someone else? how do you tell a five yr old he can't have his holiday cause butlins have made a big cock up. We were actually packing suitcases when we got the call to say it was being cancelled. Head office hopefully open tomorrow and they are in for an ear full. If they have the same customer service skills as the person I spoke to several times today I'm not holding out much hope for any sympathy!! Whatever the outcome, too late for this hol now. We should have been going in the morning.

KP86 Mon 17-Apr-17 06:39:19

That is truly horrendous.

Name and shame all over social media.

Bonniebabe75 Thu 20-Apr-17 12:56:49

Just a quick update. I did name and shame on Facebook on Monday 17th. Within half an hr I got a phone call from the same unhelpful staff member who had refused my booking the day before to say as long as I took all the relevant proof of id I would be allowed on camp. This was 9.30 of the morning we were due to travel. Whilst I wanted to tell her where to stick it my son so desperately wanted to come. We had a mad dash trying to pack and load the car to travel immediately. On site I was allowed to check in and given my keys no questions asked. I asked for the manager and asked why all the fuss over my id, and they didn't know anything about it. I was fuming. The stupid woman handling the booking was asked on the Sunday if I could take id with me and I was told no. On the Monday I was told I would strictly only be allowed on site if I had all the relevant id. Yet on arrival nobody knew about it. I was so stressed and bloody angry by the whole incident. On a positive note two staff on guest services were really helpful in trying to resolve a problem we had with our accommodation, and my son is having a nice holiday. butlins have not heard the last about the "dragon" that dealt with my booking and the unnecessary stress and upset she caused.

KP86 Sat 22-Apr-17 18:57:31

I'm so glad it has worked out for you. Employee sounds dodgy as.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now