Talk

Advanced search

Wanting to leave teaching

(6 Posts)
Bekindtoall78 Fri 15-Jun-18 05:34:49

I don't know if I'm in the right part for this question but, I want to leave teaching.

It's not the workload, it's the relentless pressure to get children to a standard that is so hard, sometimes.

I'm done with it now and have looked into tutoring. I have a child so don't want to be working in the holidays.

Does anyone else feel like this or has felt like this and made plans to leave?

It feels like a really huge decision and not one I take lightly...

OP’s posts: |
parrotonmyshoulder Fri 15-Jun-18 05:40:54

It is a huge decision and an understandable one. Finding a comparably paid job that gives you full school holidays with your child is unlikely though, so you may have to rethink your expectations around that.

hildabaker Fri 15-Jun-18 05:43:42

Have you got another source of income? Have you thought about what else you are going to need to do? It might be the time of year that is making everything seem even harder than usual: teachers are ready to drop at this point in the academic year and the kids have usually had enough, too.

parrotonmyshoulder Fri 15-Jun-18 05:50:08

Yes, that’s true - it is a really hard time of year whichever stage of education you’re in.
Reports, transitions, realising you haven’t got time to do all that stuff with your new class you wanted to do and now they’re already your old class and you’re having to think about the next one.

Our children are really struggling with the heat and that makes the day to day stuff much more challenging.

Have you a permanent contract in a state school? If so, you’ve missed the resignation date so have time to plan ahead for your future until Christmas.

Have you tried a different school? They are not all the same and this sort of pressure heavily dependent on the headteacher and how they approach things.

Bekindtoall78 Fri 15-Jun-18 06:58:36

Thank you for your responses.
I smile at how early teachers are up.
I have just done a table of expenses and have a husband so not on my own with finances.
It is a tough time of year and I agree but I have felt like this for a while.
I definitely don't have the same expectations on income.
My priorities are covering expenses and being there for my child more smile

Bekindtoall78 Fri 15-Jun-18 07:01:39

Im planning to stay in teaching for the next 2 academic years.
I'm not a bold person and won't jump ship until I've got something started up. Plus I feel I owe it to the class I'm going to be with to stop with them.
I've been teaching for a while (nearly 20 yrs) and I've recently been told I'm good at it and all my books and expectations look good (by head)
I just don't want to do this anymore and actually feel quite sad about it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in