Talk

Advanced search

Inset days when part time

(30 Posts)
goldenlilliesdaffodillies Thu 16-Mar-17 21:15:52

What do other part time teachers do about Inset Days falling on their days off? I work in a Private School. We seem to be doing more and more Inset Days (up to 4 before the start of term). I have just found out I have to go in for 2 full days. I won't be paid for either, neither of them are on my teaching days. They amount to more time than I actually teach in a week. The content is usually irrelevant to my subject.

I will have to pay for child care as have no other back up. One of the days is 8.30am-4.30pm so much longer than I teach. I will basically be paying to go to work (again).

I am so fed up of the attitude that part time teachers are available the same as full time and also aren't paid. How do I tackle this?

SweepTheHalls Thu 16-Mar-17 21:17:00

I only do the ones on the days I work.

heyday Thu 16-Mar-17 21:19:31

I am part time teacher. I work three days a week so I am expected to do 3 Inset days. If they require me to do any more then they have to pay me.

ScarlettDarling Thu 16-Mar-17 21:19:31

I'm the same as Sweep , I only do the inservice days if they fall on my work days. Otherwise my job share partner does them. I guess if my head insisted I came in when it's not my work day, then I'd put in a claim to be paid for the day

LottieDoubtie Thu 16-Mar-17 21:21:24

Independent school here too. We are expected to do those that fall on normal working days and 'invited' to all the rest. If I work I'm paid and it is totally at my discretion.

DumbledoresApprentice Thu 16-Mar-17 21:39:07

What if you had another job on the other days? I'm pretty sure they can't legally make you come in for them. If a school wants to make sure everyone does the "correct" number of insets then they have to have one on each day of the week.

Youdosomething Thu 16-Mar-17 21:42:37

This might help.
m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1576

CarrieBlue Thu 16-Mar-17 21:44:03

My understanding in the state sector is that training days are pro rata-ed - so a 0.6 timetable requires attendance at 3 training days, regardless of whether you work those days usually or not. I guess the independent sector can do as it wishes with terms and conditions - can you check your contract?

DumbledoresApprentice Thu 16-Mar-17 21:57:55

Carrie- I'm pretty certain that's not correct (I union repped for a bit). I don't think part timers can be required to work on their non work days in state school. if you are contacted Monday-Wednesday you are free to accept a contract for Thursday-Friday in a different school. Your first school can't compel you to be in on those days. We have part time staff at our school who work in other schools on other days of the week. Only a couple this year but in some years it's been more common when we've needed to recruit people part-time to plug gaps in timetables. Nobody is made to work insets on days they don't normally work although our school does offer extra pay to people who wish to attend on their days off.

CarrieBlue Thu 16-Mar-17 22:10:21

Dumbledore - that sounds much more reasonable, please would you be my union rep?!

Wolfiefan Thu 16-Mar-17 22:12:32

I was told you had to do a pro rata amount of INSET days. So if I'm 0.5 and there are 5 days I have to do 2.5 even if they are all on my day off. Not paid per day but per % of the job.

Wolfiefan Thu 16-Mar-17 22:12:58

Posted too soon. Not private though.
Check contract.

DumbledoresApprentice Thu 16-Mar-17 23:00:16

If the inset days are all falling on your days off then you will be working more than your fair share of days if you come in for insets on your days off unless they give you a teaching day off to make up for coming in. There are 195 days including insets. If you work Thursdays and Fridays and every onset is on a Tuesday you'll be doing your 1/5 of the 195 day plus the 2 inset days you are doing pro-rata. You are working two extra days for free.

DumbledoresApprentice Thu 16-Mar-17 23:01:23

Inset not onset grin

ToDuk Thu 16-Mar-17 23:03:45

As pp said we have to work inset says pro rata too. I work 3 days a week so go to 3 out of 5 inset days.

ToDuk Thu 16-Mar-17 23:04:31

Actually in practice I don't like to miss the inset days so I tend to go to all of them an take 2 other days off in lieu.

Jojay Thu 16-Mar-17 23:05:10

I'm at a state primary but we only work insets if they fall on our working days. Occasionally a P/t colleague has claimed overtime if they've come in on a day they don't normally work but normally they just don't come in, and no-one expects them to.

FedUpTeacher2 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:09:18

If you are covered by the STPC document, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO IN ON DAYS YOU DON'T WORK. It's there in black and white.

You can choose to go in, but you should be paid or have a day off in lieu. You cannot be forced to go in. You do not have to do them pro rata.

Academies can do what they like if not covered by STPCD.

FedUpTeacher2 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:11:05

Heads don't always seem to know this (either haven't read the document of pretend they don't know). You need to be up to speed.

DumbledoresApprentice Thu 16-Mar-17 23:12:25

From the STPCD

41. Part-time teachers cannot be required to work or attend non-pupil days, or parts of days, on days they do not normally work, but it should be open to the teacher to attend by mutual agreement with the headteacher and the pay calculation in paragraph 44 below should be applied to any resultant additional hours worked.

FedUpTeacher2 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:24:32

Paragraph 41 of the 2016 statutory teachers pay and conditions document.

Funnily enough academies don't have to follow this. Wonder why that is... wonder why the government is so keen on turning schools into academies...

FedUpTeacher2 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:24:59

X post

AlexanderHamilton Thu 16-Mar-17 23:27:03

Dh is full time now but when he was part time at a private school he only did Inset on the days he normally worked as he worked elsewhere on the other days.

The one exception was the big open morning once a year on a Saturday which was in his contract.

noblegiraffe Thu 16-Mar-17 23:33:11

If you're at a private school then I guess your conditions are different to a state school. However can't you just say you've booked a holiday/activity on those days so can't make it and if they whinge point out that they don't actually have any right to you on those days as you are not paid for them?
Do they routinely require full time staff members to work unpaid at the weekends or during the holidays? If not, point out that what they are asking you to do is similarly unreasonable.

FedUpTeacher2 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:39:14

Aargh I missed the private school bit. I think you're going to have to negotiate. Private schools can make up their own rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now