Talk

Advanced search

Would anyone like to see my catio??

(24 Posts)
caoraich Sun 24-Sep-17 12:02:07

Last winter one of our lovely cats was run over in front of our house. The council took away traffic calming measures on our road and it's become dangerous so since then we have kept freya and our new kitten maisie indoors.
However DP and DF finally found a weekend free together and have spent the bank holiday weekend building this amazing enclosed garden patio complete with tunnel to catflap and human door to rest of garden. I am sooo impressed!!

Shadow666 Sun 24-Sep-17 12:07:57

That's lovely! So much safer for them.

Mulch Sun 24-Sep-17 12:08:32

Lovely I thought catio was the name of your cat so would only be fair to post a pic smile

caoraich Sun 24-Sep-17 12:49:16

Haha Mulch that seems reasonable! She's up in the right corner in the tree in that pic but here are more
Freya subliminally messaging me: "goooo to Screwfix....buiiiild us a cat palace"
And snuggling with her kitten friend Maisie
Also more of said cat palace grin

Oldraver Sun 24-Sep-17 13:14:04

That's absolutely superb...I did think of something similar for Ernie. We dont live with particular busy roads, but our last boy did get run over on the road at the back of us

thecatneuterer Sun 24-Sep-17 13:21:20

That's wonderful.

DancesWithOtters Sun 24-Sep-17 13:53:20

That's awesome! Can I borrow your DP and DF for a weekend?

I'm thinking of doing similar. Our cat is a complete fool and has had so many stupid injuries/gone missing/got in scraps that I lie awake at night wondering what kind of dangerous mischief he's getting into.

QueenieMum Sun 24-Sep-17 21:09:29

I love it! I've heard people mention catios on here but it's the first one I've seen.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 24-Sep-17 21:14:40

That's amazing, loads of room and you can use it too. Definitely not a glorified pen!

EachandEveryone Sun 24-Sep-17 22:57:30

That is fantastic how handy your men are! I love it.

ButterfliesandMoths Sun 24-Sep-17 23:00:16

That's brilliant. Love it ❤️

Mulch Sun 24-Sep-17 23:03:24

One cutey of a cat

HarHer Mon 25-Sep-17 09:53:18

Would love to do this for our cats. Thank you for the great ideas.

pinkyredrose Mon 25-Sep-17 09:56:14

Grear work! Giving me ideas too +

NotAPuffin Mon 25-Sep-17 09:58:25

It's fabulous but I'd want more shelves for them to perch on, nice and high up.

5rivers7hills Mon 25-Sep-17 11:46:59

That looks fab, what a great job!

SunSeaAndSangria Mon 25-Sep-17 11:49:49

Excellent cat palace and adorable cats smile

caoraich Mon 25-Sep-17 15:14:22

Yes notapuffin that's the plan- we have a leftover 2x4 so I'm going to nail some small bits cross-ways on it and make a sort of tree/ladder they can climb up then maybe a series of ledges high up they can hop between. Also planning a big planter of cat grass.

We're lucky because the people who owned our house before put in French doors in the dining area even though there was already a back door- so we can get out the french doors into the patio and then there's another door into the rest of the garden from the pen. The cat flap is in the back door so they built an ingenious tunnel into the cat pen from there. View in from garden door here.

They seem to be liking it so far!

NC4now Mon 25-Sep-17 15:20:41

It's fabulous! We've catproofed our garden with mesh along the fence but he often breaches security.
I'm getting ideas now from yours... ❤️

caoraich Mon 25-Sep-17 15:32:17

Giggling at "breaches security". DP just asked me where Freya is - "she's out in Catcatraz"

RubbishMantra Mon 25-Sep-17 15:34:49

That's brilliant, what lucky cats! I'd love to be able to do this in my postage sized courtyard. logistics don't allow though... Somebody linked to a fantastic cat tree a while back, made out of tree branches. You could put an actual tree branch in there for them to climb and sharpen their claws on, bring out their inner tiger. GrrRRrrr!

IrritatedUser1960 Tue 26-Sep-17 22:54:05

That's fantastic, such a great idea.

5rivers7hills Tue 26-Sep-17 23:13:45

Somebody linked to a fantastic cat tree a while back, made out of tree branches.

Oooh yes I rememeber that - that really would be a fab addition.

@caoraich I am v impressed at how non-cage like yours looks! Done a really good job with the screening and planting.

caoraich Tue 26-Sep-17 23:21:11

A big branch has fallen off a tree overhanging my garden. It's a sign! (I will of course observe MN etiquette and offer it to my neighbours...)

Thinking tree branch with little shelves/steps up to larger perch and other perches dotted around. Maybe in the corners so we 're less likely to bop our heads. The kitchen window also opens out into the space so there's a ledge there to perch on too.

Here is Maisie exploring and the tunnel arrangement to back door. Maisie also had her first experience of rain and made a beeline for the new towels I'd laid out on the guest bed!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now