Talk

Advanced search

Wet to dry - how much to give?

(7 Posts)
AyeAyeFishyPie Wed 26-Apr-17 16:48:20

My cat has three meals a day - dry in the morning and last thing at night and wet in the afternoon. Both are high quality, grain free (Purizon dry and Natures Menu wet). She has been on a diet and I have got her down from 4.75 to 4.15 (she is indoor only). The vet is concerned about her teeth and wants me to cut out wet - I don't want to do that as I'm not convinced of the anti-wet argument and she loves it. But I thought as a compromise I wouldn't give it to her everyday. So how much dry should I give to replace a 100g pouch of wet? I can't find info anywhere!

Thank you

dementedpixie Wed 26-Apr-17 19:59:51

Surely one wet feed isnt going to affect teeth to any great extent. Does the dry food pack not give a feeding guide?

dementedpixie Wed 26-Apr-17 20:03:05

One of my wet cat food boxes says reduce dry food by 20g for every pouch given so maybe give extra 20g for every pouch missed

ilovewelshrarebit123 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:11:04

My cat eats Hills Prescription urinary dry and wet. She has one 85g pouch in the morning and 40g of dry a day.

She always seems hungry though but the vet she was on the big side, so I'm sticking to it.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 26-Apr-17 21:27:36

Surely if you're feeling a good quality wet food (which you are) it's not going to hurt their teeth? I'd be more worried if you were feeding Whiskas or Felix as they contain sugar.

My cat was on dry only for years and had to have half his teeth out last year so that ruins the theory of dry being better for their teeth. He's on wet only now with the vets blessing, Natures Menu for breakfast and dinner and Hi Life for lunch.

Joffmognum Wed 26-Apr-17 21:50:16

Mostly dry also increases the chance of kidney problems down the line, as some cats don't drink enough water to make up for it and overwork said kidneys.

It's hard to say what the balance should be, really. You could also try swapping for a small piece of meat? I often give my cat leftovers with any sauce washed off. He's not overweight though, I wouldn't do that if he was.

AyeAyeFishyPie Wed 26-Apr-17 22:12:44

Joff - she is very fussy, and not so keen on normal meat!

My vet is very anti wet. It's sugar free but he says it sticks to their teeth. I was thinking of doing 4 days with wet and 3 without?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now