Talk

Advanced search

My cat has dandruff

(17 Posts)
ElizaDontlittle Mon 13-Mar-17 14:46:30

I know this is fairly trivial - compared with some of the worries here. My girl is a 9yo house cat and the last month or so has increasing, what I can only describe as, something that looks like dandruff.
I've brushed her plenty, but it doesn't massively help, though at least I'm sure it's not fleas or anything. I switched her to better quality cat food at the beginning if January and initially her coat went all glossy, she now still feels super soft bit looks a bit of a mess. Does it matter? Should I try and shower her, will it help? TIA.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 13-Mar-17 14:48:02

So does one of my Persians. I tried coconut oil as I was told cat's go mad for it. But they were having none of it. The only thing I can get down mine are the skin and coat dreemies with omega 3 in them. So if anyone has any ideas I'd also love to know.

Patriciathestripper1 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:51:11

Try Giving her an oily sardine (tinned ones) once a week and it should clear it up, It helps my dogs coat whe he get flaky.

hollinhurst84 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:55:47

Mine likes salmon oil which seems to help

Oldraver Tue 14-Mar-17 15:19:26

Yep Ernie gets a bit flakey ans you can really see it on a black coat.

Salmon oil Is this a specific product ie tablets or oil or what ?

NotAPuffin Tue 14-Mar-17 15:20:51

Should I try and shower her, will it help?
It won't help you keep your skin attached to your body, if she's anything like my two.

hollinhurst84 Tue 14-Mar-17 15:24:17

Old - I just have a liquid, it's like a big pump bottle and I just give it in his food. He likes to lick it off the spoon hmm

hollinhurst84 Tue 14-Mar-17 15:25:31

This is the one I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutrivet-Wild-Salmon-Oil-Dog/dp/B007WHW6GU

Trustyourself2 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:32:39

My cat who is now no longer, used to get dandruff after each vet visit and they told me it was caused by stress, probably from going to the vet. I was always so surprised at how quickly it happened, then disappeared.

ElizaDontlittle Wed 15-Mar-17 10:14:05

Thank you for the suggestions! I guess I thought showering might at least get it out of her fur. I haven't though, as it's traumatic all round!

I will stick some sardines in next week's shop but otherwise the salmon oil sounds like a plan. Interesting about it being a stress reaction - it's been noticeably worse the last couple of weeks since she was at the cattery for a few days which she doesn't particularly like. I, on the other hand, really love my holidays. But I don't want them to stress my lovely girl horribly either confused

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:15:29

Just wash. ....
And go. . .

EvansOvalPies Wed 15-Mar-17 10:18:12

We once had a cat who seemingly had dandruff on the odd occasion. It turned out she was actually allergic to flea saliva. So even though our cats are regularly treated for fleas, sometimes a flea or two wriggles in and causes other skin problems. Also have a very elderly rabbit (we've had rabbits for about 18 yrs) who has had to be treated for mites - same symptoms I noticed, which looked like dandruff. No idea where she picked them up, we've never had a problem with them before.

RoganJosh Wed 15-Mar-17 10:21:06

Puffin grin

Oldraver Wed 15-Mar-17 14:08:18

Holinghurst Thanks..I've ordered a small bottle as Ernie is notoriously fussy

hollinhurst84 Wed 15-Mar-17 14:25:55

No prob, mine is also fussy but I've discovered he prefers wet food with that mixed in!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 26-Mar-17 09:05:49

Bought some of that salmon oil from zooplus. It's the first supplement they have not refused! Giving wet food for Fatty's jaw has sorted their coats out so hopefully the oil will maintain it. I got the pump bottle but I can't get the pump to unlock. Am I being really thick?!!

ElizaDontlittle Sun 26-Mar-17 19:36:06

Oh no! Sometimes they do fail, can you unscrew? I've got some too... but crazycat's dandruff has gone. I think Trustyourself was right that it was stress, in our case cattery stress - fortunately it's a couple of months til I go away again. She is all sleek and glossy again 😻

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now